Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: home break in

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    yes, but do you look Dominican or Haitian? the role of security is to keep the place secure. if he sees a North American or European person seeking entry, he is not going to expect nefarious activity...
    Quote Originally Posted by Astucia View Post
    Gorgon - you have been here long enough to know better than that. Malko is absolutely correct. Ex-pat ladrones are EVERYWHERE in this country. From small time petty thefts and scams to ...............
    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    the country is crawling with criminal type expats, running away from all kinds of drama where they came from. that is why i am not one of those people who are quick to assert that the country is violent every time some bad stuff goes down. many times it is a deal gone bad..

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Robbery

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    After 15 years living here, I finally got robbed.

They broke into my house, went through everything, took my computer. Fortunately I was not home so their frustration in not finding anything of value was not taken out on me. (the computer was a low end refurbished one, purchased for $175)

They also took my backpack, and as I had just returned from SD, it had my ID in it - all my ID and credit cards- and they were kind enough to take it all out and leave it. They even took out the receipt for my cedula - the super important one that they give you when you are getting your first Dominican (recently naturalized) one that would have been a massive pain to deal with.

I'm wondering if that was an act of kindness (not taking my ID), or in avoidance knowing that for an old computer I would not bother, where as if they had taken all my ID I would have been down at the police station with $10,000 RD to the first officer to finds it for me.

Anyhow, closing the hole that they used to get in (must have had a very small child with them to fit through and then open the door). Of course I had not been vigilant about getting the cameras fixed, so getting those done as well. They also didn't kill the dog .

Kind of feels like a rights of passage, as it pretty much happens to everyone at some point.
    Reply:

I Am Sorry This Happened. I Rarely Get on This Board. Saw This and It Disturbed Me. REMEMBER:

1. They Hate Us

2. They Watch Us 24/7

3. You CAN’T Live in a House in DR

ONLY An Apartment With GATES Everywhere

4. We Are Cash Machines To Them. NOTHING Else.

5. If It Was Puerto Rico, You Would Be Dead.

6. Consider Yourself Lucky and MOVE ASAP.

3. Likes irsav liked this post
    Dislikes Seamonkey, Michele Jimenez D, Derfish, etolw disliked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

That is quite a cynical point of view. I would leave if everybody hated me and was watching me 24/7 and seeing me as an atm.

5. Likes Seamonkey, bienamor, etolw liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by businessdr View Post
    Reply:

I Am Sorry This Happened. I Rarely Get on This Board. Saw This and It Disturbed Me. REMEMBER:

1. They Hate Us

2. They Watch Us 24/7

3. You CAN’T Live in a House in DR

ONLY An Apartment With GATES Everywhere

4. We Are Cash Machines To Them. NOTHING Else.

5. If It Was Puerto Rico, You Would Be Dead.

6. Consider Yourself Lucky and MOVE ASAP.
    Every of us knows it. But very few are brave or motivated to tell the truth aloud without being attacked and called names.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irsav View Post
    Every of us knows it. But very few are brave or motivated to tell the truth aloud without being attacked and called names.
    so why do you stay? the airport is still in the same place it was when you came here..

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

It's astonishing how poor security can be. Never trust existing locks and if you want padlocks, use what they use on businesses or bring your own. The $5-$10 locks are garbage and can usually be popped with a swing of a hammer.

If you use deadbolts, use the kind that are keyed on both sides.

9. Likes irsav liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInHigüey View Post
    It's astonishing how poor security can be. Never trust existing locks and if you want padlocks, use what they use on businesses or bring your own. The $5-$10 locks are garbage and can usually be popped with a swing of a hammer.

...In the USA you can buy padlocks from Germany..name Discus..cant cut them, cant break them, still have my first one from over 20 years ago, use it on my gym locker, has the marks of a bolt cutter on it from years ago.....Doc....

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInHigüey View Post

I had a cheapo 10-15$ ochoa lock on a metal bar door....... locked out with no key, long story.
    Anyhow i blasted the dam.n thing with a patta de cabra repeatedly ...... all i managed to do is crack the concrete....... metal bars and padlock didn't budge.......

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

You can get discus type locks in the DR for about $10, but the pinning is crap so they can be picked or "raked".

We use Kryptonite padlocks with boron shackles and good cores. When I made key copies, it took them three tries to make two backups that worked bc the tolerances are very precise.

US has crappy locks too. Master locks are notoriously easy to pick, even when over $50. ACE locks use much better cores for the same price and PacLock is a new brand that can use keyed alike cores for padlocks, deadbolts and other locks.

https://youtu.be/4uPQ6ivH5ps

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irsav View Post
    Don’t talk in my name please, thank you.

14. Likes etolw, irsav liked this post
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast