Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default List of Rehab Facilities in the DR

Many medical conditions require physical rehabilitation to bring a patient back to a normal life after surgery or lengthy hospitalization.

We are going through this right now for Mom CB who had to spend almost three weeks in the Corominas ICU and hospital room for advance onset of elderly pneumonia. Many understand pneumonia is among the top killers of the elderly.

So now she's beyond the pneumonia and just needs to get physically stronger to come home. Three weeks in a bed will weaken the strongest, and is more significant in the elderly. So I asked her physicians and the hospital admitting/discharged staff for a list of rehab facilities for her to spend a couple of weeks in rigorous PT. Here is the list:

The list of inpatient rehab facilities in the DR:
    That's right: none. No inpatient rehab facilities in the entire country. Some hospitals have a small staff for simple rehab in the clinic, but zero specialty facilities.

If I had a couple of million $$$, or a syndicate of a couple of million $$$ from rich guys who want to leave a lasting legacy on the DR, I would make a substantial and much needed addition to this abysmal situation.

So we are stuck bringing in outside help for my mom's physical rehab. We are fortunate Alida's sister runs the PT department at PUCMM, and that I havd deep working knowledge of such needs, or we'd be in dire straits. I can only imagine what the average Dominican family has to go throiugh.

A rehab facility is different from a nursing home.

It's an amazing and sad situation.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

2. Likes Harleysrock, Neargale, keepcoming liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

My best wishes for your mother. I can relate to pneumonia in elderly. Went through the exact situation with my father only in the US. No rehab or step down facilities in the DR.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Their is a PT department in CEDIMAT, new building Cardio, Its PT for Cardio but they will help PT with everything.
    Never had any PT there but did visit the Dept. all new equipment. More important they are PT Doctors.
    Keep us inform if used.

Best Wishes with CB Mom.

XTraveller

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XTraveller View Post
    Their is a PT department in CEDIMAT, new building Cardio, Its PT for Cardio but they will help PT with everything.
    Never had any PT there but did visit the Dept. all new equipment. More important they are PT Doctors.
    Keep us inform if used.

Best Wishes with CB Mom.

XTraveller
    They are not inpatient.
    Cabin Attendant,

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

geriatric and skilled nursing homes, memory care facilities are in every corner of the US. Short term long term what ever one needs. If some poor sole has a stroke here I am sure they will be sent home the next day. Very taxing on a family

7. Likes cobraboy, RDKNIGHT liked this post
    On Probation
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a physiotherapy rehabilitation center in Jarabacoa, it just isnt for inpatients. Patricia, one of the physics speak English as do several others.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    There is a physiotherapy rehabilitation center in Jarabacoa, it just isnt for inpatients. Patricia, one of the physics speak English as do several others.
    Patricia has moved to the states.
    Cabin Attendant,

On Probation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    Patricia has moved to the states.
    I knew she had applied. The other options is Student International across from Conani just up from where you used to live. SILVIO is from Nicaragua and both him and the secretary speak English. At the moment he has some American students there as well.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    I knew she had applied. The other options is Student International across from Conani just up from where you used to live. SILVIO is from Nicaragua and both him and the secretary speak English. At the moment he has some American students there as well.
    I spoke to Silvio, and he may be able to help starting next week.

We have some local nurses lined up for 24 hr. care until she's stronger.

My preference wouod be for an inpatient rehab center for a couple of weeks.
    Cabin Attendant,

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Have also looked having a need. Nothing. Huring a private nurse requires someone watching them and so on. The need is there, just need the backers and managers that know how to do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast