33 and counting!!!

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002

Anybody here wanting to give the great LUIS CASTILLO a hand for this unbelievable feat he's accomplishing?

Come on guys...Give it up for LUIS!!!
happydance.gif

Going for 56!

Last edited:

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Anna...sorry!

It's just the sports fan in me...I assumed everyone would know...

Luis Castillo, 2nd baseman for the Florida Marlins, has hit in 33 consecutive games...

From the Marlins web page: "Move over Rogers Hornsby. Make room for Luis Castillo atop the list of longest hit streaks ever by a second baseman.

Castillo raced his way into history by beating out an infield single in the sixth inning Wednesday, extending the longest hitting streak in the Major Leagues since 1987 to 33 games.

At 33, Castillo joins Hornsby, George Davis (1893), Hal Chase (1907) and Heinie Manush (1933).

The only active player to stretch a streak further is Benito Santiago, who hit in 34 in a row for the Padres in 1987. Also that year, future Hall of Famer Paul Molitor hit in 39 consecutive games.

Pete Rose's 44 straight in 1978 is the only streak longer by a switch hitter. Castillo and Davis are tied for the second longest streaks by a switch hitter.

Joe DiMaggio holds the record with 56 games in 1941. "

Luis Antonio Castillo was born in San Pedro de Macor?s, Dominican Republic, on September 12, 1975. He's 5' 11", 175 lbs. single and living with his mother here in South Florida.

Theresa

Vettehead from Buckhead
Jan 16, 2002
Three cheers and a little besito for Luis..how a bout a trip to Atlanta...hook me up..... co?o

Castillo

Rain limited Luis Castillo to three at-bats, which was two more than he needed.

Castillo slashed a single in the first inning Thursday night and extended his hitting streak to 34 games, breaking Rogers Hornsby's record for a second baseman and tying Dom DiMaggio and three other players. Four other players had one-season streaks of 34 games -- DiMaggio (1949), Santiago (1987), George McQuinn (1934) and George Sisler (1925).

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: Chances are

Hlywud said:
Luis will have an 0 fer soon, he has been hitting well but it won't last long. No one will ever surpass the record of Joltin Joe DiMaggio
So lets not pop the corks yet.
anichamp4.gif

That's what they said about Roger Marris's and Ty Cobbs's Records as well.
Personally I wouldn't mind seeing DiMaggio's record broken. He was one of the biggest Jerks to have ever played the game. On and off the field!

Tony C.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
34 down...only 25 to go!

Wud...thank you for contradicting yourself on back to back posts...

Theresa...We don't play Atlanta till July 17-18...can you wait that long? Or maybe you can come down for when the Mets play here in Miami on July 4-7?

Don't worry, I'll hook you up, girlfriend!

Musicqueen

Contradiction?
I said initially that Castillo would have an 0 fer soon and no one will ever beat Di Maggio's record.
I followed with the update from the Marlins game when Castillo hit a single in first at bat. To make it 34 games.
Now it has happened the 0 fer . Streak ends at 34.
Luis Castillo (0-4) was left standing in the on deck circle as the Marlins made a come back to defeat the Tigers in the ninth inning 5-4, but his fifth plate appearance wouldnt have mattered. Quote from Sportsillustrated: "Detroit manager Luis Pujols said Sunday that he and bench coach Felipe Alou had agreed to intentionally walk Castillo and take their chances against Eric Owens . "Felipe and I said we were going to look bad in our country, but we had to walk him," said Pujols, who like Castillo and Alou is from the Dominican Republic."
But for the record:
Castillo's streak, tied for the 10th-longest in baseball history, stands as the longest by a Latin player and the longest by a second baseman.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Wud...

I understand that it's very hard to achieve what DiMaggio did, but you know me...I always cheer for the underdog...!!!

And by the way...Castillo's streak ended at 35...and I thought it was stupid to have Fox tag up...just to win one stupid game!!!

But, hey...he started another streak yesterday...when he wasn't even on the lineup!

We'll see!;)

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Castillo

Castillo had a noble and inpressive run but its over.No one will ever beat the great Joe D's record of 56. By the way,Hlywud....you said 3 other players had streaks of longer than 35 games,I think you are wrong because I thought Pete Rose had a 44 game hit streak.The GREAT Pete Rose.You never hear his name...Almost like he never played the game...One of the greatest hitters and energetic players ever.Such a shame.
ILoveDR

Streaks

Here is the list of hitting streaks from CNNSI Baseball news

Year Player Team Games
1941 Joe DiMaggio New York Yankees 56
1897 Willie Keeler Baltimore Orioles 44
1978 Pete Rose Cincinnati Reds 44
1894 Bill Dahlen Chicago Cubs 42
1922 George Sisler St. Louis Browns 41
1911 Ty Cobb Detroit Tigers 40
1987 Paul Molitor Milwaukee Brewers 39
1945 Tommy Holmes Boston Braves 37