The Local Alcohol

Local Alcohol

Some of the finest rums in the world. Brugal and Barcelo are top notch rums. And from a beer drinker you have to go a long ways to beat Presidente. And for those who like those exotic drinks, the pink ones and blue ones etc. it really doesnt matter you could not tell the difference between the Normandy bar stock vodka in them over Smirnoff or Finlandia.
Go and enjoy the Local Alcohol and don't worry, the will get you as high as any international name brand.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Beer and booze

As my collegue has said we are pleased to have the #1 rum in the world: Barcel? Imperial-You can buy it in large supermarkets for about $10.00US a bottle-if you can find it.

Presidente beer is served ice, and I mean ice cold.
aazcold.gif
Usually, if it is a decent bar, with frost on it....
beer8.bmp

HB
beerchug.gif

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Sorry guys!
Dominican Rum is adequate at best. Barcelo(Imperial& Anejo) and Macorix are the only ones of any quality. Neither of these are in the same league of a Appeltons or Mount Gay. Stay away from Brugal unless you want to strip paint from a car. For truly great Rum you have to go to the other side of the Island for Barbancourt. If you are just looking for rum to mix in your rum & Cokes stick to Barcelo.

Tony C.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
presidente

I have never tried any of the rum but I think the presidente is the best beer in the world---and they serve it coooold!
"my advice to you is to start drinking heavily"--Bluto (John Belushi from Animal house)

ILoveDR

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Tastings.com disagrees!

They have rated Barcel? Imperial #1 in the World.

Appleton Estates is too molass flavored....ugh.

Barbancourt is an excellent rum and very popular here.
They have three levels: 1 Star- pretty harsh; 3 Star-excellent and mixes well and 5 Star almost like a liguor...

NEVER, EVER mix Barcel? Imperial with coke or 7 Up..ugh!

Come on Tony, brush up on you rum knowledge...next, you'll be talking about Havana House??

HB

richard

Jan 1, 2002
THEDON said:
Are the local beers & spirits any good or do they taste cheap & nasty?

To me they are all good however if you are into blended drinks such as pi?acoladas ask the bartender to use regular proof white rum, not 151. 151 is a killer and could shorten your drinking experience very quickly.:cool:
Presidente is excellent, far superior to American beer which Oscar Wilde wrote "They should have left it in the camel or was it the donkey? People from Santiago seem to love Quisqueya, another beer although that must be an aquired taste. :alien:

Ask for your beer "muy fria", icy cold. It will come direct from the freezer daintily wrapped in a serviette.:cool:

Enjoy.

Last edited:

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
As usual HB is right on the money,...or should I say on top of the rum barrel. Barcelo Imperial is the best rum I'd ever tasted before I gave up the demon some 5 years ago. It should only be consumed neat as a fine Cognac should be. It won the last Caribbean Rums' competition hands down with 96 out of 100 possible points. Mount Gay is a fine rum (I drank it before I discovered Barcelo), but only the green Eclipse label begins to compare to Imperial. Jamican rums are next in line. Cruzan rum from St. Croix is also a fine everday rum for mixing. Brugal as paint stripper? I compare it more to kerosene.

Same goes for Presidente: it is one of the smoothest Pilsner beers I'd ever had. I used to work as a yacht captain for a beer distributor in North Central Florida who handled 58 labels, so I've had a pretty good basis for making the comparison. And yes, I-C-E cold with the frost still on it is the best way to enjoy this island suprise!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ahhhh. To bask in the glory of validation....

Thanks andy, I knew you were a judge of fine things...

HB
beerchug.gif

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Re: Ahhhh. To bask in the glory of validation....

Another validation for HB! When Barcelo Emperador was rated the #1 rum in the world a couple of years ago by Tastings.com, I ordered a couple of bottles from http://www.samswine.com/ in Chicago. Impressive! And I'm picky.

BTW, on my last trip to the DR, Barcelo Emperador (Imperial) was available at the duty free shop at SDQ for $10US per bottle .

Drink it neat at room temperature preferably from a large brandy snifter; you won't be disappointed. :)

Swede

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Ok I figured I should go to Tastings.com and check it out. All, except one, of the reviewers were from Chicago(hardly a Hot bed of Rum consumption)! And all were "Wine Snobs!"
I'll be be the first to admit it is all a matter of taste but I have been drinking rum since I was 8 years old and I have tried just about every brand their is. I stand by my post.
For all those who disagree........Cheers!
I defer from giving any comments about Presidente because I'll admit I am not much of Beer drinker....All bloat not enough Buzz!
BTW Rehab is for quitters!

Tony C.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
"BTW Rehab is for quitters!"

Rehab is for those unfortunate souls whose lives have been affected in one way or another by alcohol and should be utilized by many drinkers, most of whom are known as "functioning alcoholics." If you've been drinking since 8 years old, you may be in this category, too. Personally, I quit on my own, cold turkey, when I finally accepted the responsibility of the personal price I paid (and the problems I caused) to be part of this crowd. I'll bet my head is clearer than yours in the mornings, and after almost 40 years of "hard partying," it's a nice feeling.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Andy B said:
"BTW Rehab is for quitters!"

and after almost 40 years of "hard partying," it's a nice feeling.

Doctor!
If I give up Smoking, Drinking and chasing women will I live longer?
No, but it will just seem like it!

I really dislike people who have quit a activity because they can't control themselves,such as drinking, then turn around and preach at those of us who enjoy that same activity with moderation and control.
Good for you that you quit but do not for a momment think that you are better than me in any way. You do not know me! You have no basis to back up any claims you might have on my drinking habits.

Tony C.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
No only am I not preaching at you; you're right, I don't know your personal habits (and don't particulary want to). I just took offense at your degrading comment regarding people who had the guts to quit drinking and then pointed out that a lot of people who drink are considered "functioning alcoholics," especially those that started drinking at an early age. And you don't have to be a heavy drinker to fall into this category. I also made no assertion or implication that I am in any way better than you. You put words where words aren't. But is there some reason why you are protesting mightily about this?

And yes, quitting smoking and heavy drinking will definately prolong your life. However the part about chasing women,...I'm not so sure about that.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I dissagree that Brugal is no good. To use in a Cuba Libre is excelent, much better than most of the Jamaican brands, not to mention Bacardi.....

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I agree with TOR!

Brugal is an excellent mixer. I have spent many mornings regretting the potency of Coke, Brugal and Limes...

The "Mallita" ( the net) is famous as a fine drinking rum...old age has taught me the wisdom of drinking in moderation and not mixing anything with my rum....clear headedness is "a good thing" ...

HB
beerchug.gif