for ABZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I pull this article of the Globe and Mail

Thought you might find it interesting. Let's see if you can read with an objective mind.

The misery of the Arab world
By JEFFREY SIMPSON

Wednesday, July 10, 2002 ? Page A13

'The Arab world is at a crossroads." A clich?? Perhaps, but nonetheless true.

What is, after all, the Arab world? It consists of whole countries and parts of others, accounting for about 5 per cent of the world's population (about 280 million people). The gaps among them -- as between Kuwait and Djibouti, for example -- are huge.

But taking the Arab world as a whole, as a United Nations study just did, the news on the human development front is discouraging. The Arab world, with only a few exceptions, has fallen behind many other parts of the globe on almost every social and economic indicator.

Western "orientalism" or paternalism, you say? Read, then, the latest report from the UN Human Development Index, authored not by Westerners but by Arab experts who insist their "world" is at a crossroads. The results are unsettling, for Arabs and non-Arabs alike.

The Arab HDI survey is based on the methodology that has placed Canada at or near the top of the charts in recent years. It looks at what we might call the "life chances" of citizens -- not just their economic well-being, but educational opportunities, health outcomes and political systems.

In all categories, the Arab world is failing. Of course, there are some exceptions. Kuwait, for example, stands near the top of the HDI charts. The other Arab countries, however, are struggling.

Start with government. Arab countries consistently show a "freedom deficit." The HDI authors write: "The wave of democracy that transformed governance in most of Latin America and East Asia in the 1980s and Eastern Europe and much of Central Asia in the late 1980s and early 1990s has barely reached the Arab states."

The rule of law is shaky. Representative democracy "is not always genuine and sometimes absent." Too many regimes spend too much on armaments. "Freedoms of expression and association are frequently curtailed."

Too many Arab countries mock or misunderstand the fundamental link between human development and human rights, including democratic ones. Young people who cannot find work or legitimate outlets for dissent display frustrations, resentments and, in many cases, a desire to leave.

The HDI authors commissioned a poll of young Arabs that found 51 per cent of "older youths" and 45 per cent of younger ones wanting to emigrate, with Canada among the most desirable destinations. "The implicit judgment of how livable these young people consider Arab societies to be is evident."

One out of every five people in the Arab world lives on less than $2 a day, although Arab countries have among the lowest levels of dire poverty in the world.

Population growth is adding about six million labour-force entrants a year, but unemployment is already very high -- about 15 per cent across the region. Education enrolment rates have risen impressively, but 65 million adult Arabs remain illiterate, a much higher rate than in poorer countries. Only 0.6 per cent of the population uses the Internet, a tiny fraction of the rate in developed countries.

The role of Arab women is especially discouraging. More than half of Arab women are illiterate. The region's maternal mortality rate is double that of Latin America and the Caribbean, and four times higher than in East Asia.

"Women also suffer from unequal citizenship and legal entitlements, often evident in voting rights and legal codes," write the HDI authors. Almost every development expert underlines the role of women in improving the standard of living and quality of life of societies. By that standard, the Arab world is failing miserably.

Naturally, the Arab authors tiptoe around the role of Islam in explaining the Arab world's dislocations. They do point, as if almost obliged to do so, to the Palestinian question that has preoccupied many Arab governments for decades and allowed them to divert attention from problems within their own countries.

Palestinians live in an intolerable situation. But their plight, as this report implicitly suggests, can hardly account for most of the problems in the far-flung Arab world.

Non-oil exports from Arab countries grew by only 1.5 per cent in the 1990s, compared to a global growth rate of 6 per cent. Some of this sluggish growth can be blamed on rich countries that protect their textile and other industries where Arab countries have an obvious competitive advantage. But most of the explanation lies elsewhere.

The Arab world is shot through with tariff and non-tariff barriers, inefficient state monopolies, and corruption that siphons money to families with government connections.

So where to start in heading the Arab world down the right path from the crossroads

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
May I ask, what does this have to do with the Dominican Republic? Or, are we just trying to get another feud thread started. Last i checked the DR was not an Arab country and AZB is a Muslim from Pakistan living in the DR, not an Arab. So, other than personal attempts to inflame, what has thi to do with the DR1 board?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
enlighten up

that's why it was put on the general open forum. ABZ often posts far more inflamatory posts, as well, are any of the relationships postings really about the DR, OR THE JOKES?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
El Jefe... Although you are not the Moderator or the owner of this website I would like to comment on your attempt to moderate.

When AZB was slamming Jews several times a week why didn't you comment to him? Was that because there are approx. 200 Jews living in Sosua and that is related to the DR?

Why did you comment here only? Selective in your criticism? Is that because you are a Jew Hater like AZB? One last question. Do you beat your wife often?

Let me know when you get my point.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"C'mon Jazzcom,Its "Miller Time"

Or what ever you want.I think we are all on the same side of the "fence" on this one!I think that to equate "El Jefe's" rebuke of Sanders blatant "AZB" baiting post in no way indicates that he is an Anti-Semite"! Most poor people anywhere,of any religion, want to be left alone,have the opportunity to feed and clothe their families,and have little political agenda.I hope we all hate violence in any form.In the words of that great "Humanitarian" from Los Angeles California,Rodney King."Why can't we all just get along?"CRISCO

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Nobody said a word when he was slamming Jews for no reason and that PISSES me off. Why would all you guys let him get away with his gratuitous slams all that time is beyond me.

This guy complains now? Bullshit!

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hi jazzy

What is your problem with the jews?? Are you one?? Don't you think they
can take care of themself's.
I think they should be treated like any other people. Why always kissing their
you know what. X.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
"Nobody said a word when he was slamming Jews for no reason and that PISSES me off. Why would all you guys let him get away with his gratuitous slams all that time is beyond me. " Jazzcom

Sorry guys I haven't answered to BOb's post because it was directed towards ABZ and I am AZB. But since, jazzcom demands an answer to his inquiry, maybe I should clearify a few things to him. A dose of reality.
First of all jazzcom, answer to your question above is very simple. Most Americans are not great fans of Arabs or Muslims but the truth is that they all hated jews even before the terrorist Arab / Muslim has brought in to light by the jewish media / film industry. Name one movie where an Arab is portrayed as a good guy? Now name one movie where a jew is portrayed a drug dealer or a terrorist? Even when the jews are portrayed as the victims of holocaust (aren't you all sick of the holocaust movies by now?), most Americans still don't care for the jews. I bet if you disclose (to the general public) how much money israel gets every years from the american tax payer (without getting anything in return), most will be furious.
You may be a good American but most americans only kiss jewish ass (on their faces) to keep their jobs, other than that, they say mean things behind their backs. Most guys on DR1 would never admit their criticism for israel or jews in public, they are not stupid like I am, they worry about their career and about their public image. You people (jews) always persist, if you criticize israel, you must be a jew-hater and a nazi lover. Does criticizing the mistreatment of the american indians make you anti american? So if you stand for the rights of the Palestinians are you automatically a jew hater? If you criticize the american economic support for egypt, are you an arab hater? But if you criticize the israeli economic support package you are instantly labeled an anti semite.
let me tell you this jazzcom: you don't become an anti semite if you dislike jews, you become an anti semite if jews hate you.
So please, try to understand, not all Americans worship jews like you do. If you dislike arabs it does not mean that you automatically love jews. I see nothing special about these people that would make me worship their race like you do.
I hope you see my point now.
I don?t hate jews I am only against the Zionists. Your daughter is half jewish but I am sure she is not a Zionist. So please stop spreading hatred against muslims or arabs, you daughter?s friend just maybe a sweet muslim girl. Remember, in USA we people can be friends.

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
El Jefe... Thanks for the email. I responded

AZB... First off I think your take on things Arab and Israeli is simply out of this world. I am not going to debate you and try to make you see the light as I see it. As far as your dose of reality goes I think you are so out of it you forgot what you were out of.

My point regarding the original post is this. El Jefe said that it shouldnt have been. My thought is that if that is the case all your posts slamming Jews shouldnt have been either and where was he when that was going on?

I am not debating the original post nor will I comment on its relevence. Just that if it isn't relevent either were your posts and no comments were made on them.

Tgf

Jan 3, 2002
Peace....?

I think all of us have certain buttons that, when pushed, sets us off (I know I do). What Jazzcom is upset about is gross generalization and negative stereotyping of Jews and their supposed (according to AZB) global domination of economies, politics, and the media. These beliefs are not new, in fact, they are very old. Hitler used many of the same arguments at a time when Jews were not being allowed to join clubs or attend certain universities in the U.S.A. The anti-Jewish prejudice was very strong in the United States prior to WWII and for this reason many German Jews who sought to emigrate to the U.S. in the 1930s were denied visas.

AZB - many of us are capable of being critical of Israeli and U.S. policy and not "paint with the broad brush" and make disparaging remarks about Jews, all U.S. citizens, or all Dominicans for that matter.

In answer to your question AZB about movies. Favorable portrayals of Arabs in movies? There are some - one that comes to mind is Omar Sharif in Lawrence of Arabia. Negative portrayal of Jewish individuals, how about the movies about NYC Jewish 1930s gansters like Bugsy Siegal? He was a drug dealer among other things like rackets, prostitution, robbing, and loansharking. They do exist, even if not in great numbers.

As for the original question by El Jefe, what does this have to do with the D.R.? Well, with a long stretch one could argue that Arabs and Druze merchants from Lebanon and Syria have had some historic influence on the D.R. During the late 1800s and early 1900s a number of Arab families who were Maronite Christians (not Muslims) moved to the D.R. where many began working as itinerant peddlers. Later they opened stores and became important members of Dominican society. I bet if you examine the names of wealthy Dominicans you can find more than one with Syrian or Lebanese ancestry.

Finally, Jazzcom, you have every right to call this to everyone's attention. Many of us have previously gotten into "discussions" with AZB about the negative and gross stereotyping of Jews that he finds credible, but many of us find insulting and denigrating. I don't believe all Muslims are terrorists any more than I believe that Jews control the global media or are all wealthy. But, we have called AZB on this so many times that now fresh voices to call him out on this are welcomed.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We have called AZB and others every name in the book!

You would have to go back to last years posts to see most of it.We all just gave up!! Most of the "regulars" don't even respond any more.AZB hates Jews,Hollywood,and CNN,major US media,and "EDENORTE".I agree only with the last one!The "ACID" test of any "ISM" is would you be happy if your daughter married "One"?Yes I would be happy if my daughter married a "Jew"! Am I off your "Hook"now?Or am I still on your "Drek"list?? CRISCO

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
rambling on

Getting back to the article. After reading it; do you think religion is the reason Arabic countries have not advanced in the areas of Democracy, womens rights...etc. Or is there another reason all those oil billions haven't been spread out amoung the people.
I am 1/2 Jewish and have every right to defend Jews. I don't hate Arabs or muslims. I know many muslims, although most of them are not Arabic.
I though Omar Sharif was Turkish not Arabic. Personally I think that the DR has many of the same problems as many Arabic countries: too much greed and what's in it for me attitude. This is of course, is against the teaching of all major religions.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Can we take this junk off line before I start hitting the delete button.

You have email, chat and a PM facility, start using it!

Sorry, but we are not about to let this forum be a voice for peoples religious or political beliefs. The net is full of other places you can vent your views or frustrations.

I'm going to start having fun with the delete button, if you have a problem with this, deal with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.