buying or renting?

Craig Maxwell

Jul 10, 2002
When I move to the DR, am I better off buying a place or renting for a while? Where is the best place to live?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The best place to live is in the eye of the beholder. Many people moving to the DR don't have the luxury of going wherever they choose; they are tied by a job or other consideration. If you are free to pick and choose, then you should give us an idea of your price range and the sort of activities you most like to participate in.

Re rental vs purchase, it is usually a good idea to spend some time in the area where you think you want to locate, to be sure it offers what you are looking for, before you make a big investment.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I have been in the Real Estate business for 25 years in the States. I found it more efficient to rent in the DR because there hasn't been appreciation and high interest rates there for CD's in a bank.

Took me 2 years to see this and NOT owning is against my grain.

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Scott,
Putting CDs in dollars or pesos?

Any particular banks to stay away from?

Mainer

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Mommc posted about decent rates at Banco Popular. I know others that get good rates at other banks. I use Banco Santa Cruz and I also put money with a mortgage house that gives me the best rates. Email myself or Bushbaby for the info. I get 15% in US dollars and 23% in Pesos but that is the compounded ammount.

Regards,
Escott

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
For first timers, we always recommend renting. Gives you the flexibility of checking out the area. Seeing one city/area does not mean you have seen it all. Some people will love living in Santo Domingo, others will prefer Santiago, others will like Sosua, others La Romana or Juan Dolio. You may check out different areas, and renting allows you this flexibility.

For more information, check out the content providing in the Living and Legal sections of this web site. Lots of helpful information that will answer many of your questions.