how safe is DR

njbo

Jul 21, 2002
i'm planning a trip to playa naco golf and tennis resort in april "03" and a couple of my friends wanted to know if ti a safe place to go, i told them it was fine but just wanted some feed back from people whom may have been there.any info would be appreciated

harold

Mar 23, 2002
If this is the one in Puerto Plata, then you'll be fine. It's a real nice place. I haven't seen the one in the capital.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
With respect to your question re safety in the DR, my wife and I have been living here since 1986. We would not have stayed this long if we didn't feel safe.

We don't go into areas that seem to be uninviting, but we wouldn't go into those areas in the US either.

Take the sort of precautions that you would take anywhere, but you don't need to be afraid.

Some resorts, unfortunately, do a grave disservice by telling guests it is dangerous to leave the complex grounds. However, these are self-serving declarations and should not be taken seriously.

Dominique130

Jul 10, 2002
Safety in the DR

After living in the DR for the past year I can honestly say that the Dr is a safe place to live and visit. Actually, it is one of the safest countries in the Caribbean. Violent crime against tourists is virtually unheard of (you will be a prized commodity in the struggling tourism sector) and petty crime such as theft is fairly easy to avoid if you use your common sense. Don't do anything you wouldn't do at home. Take the opportunity to leave the resort and see some of the "real" DR, you won't be sorry. Have a good trip!

Serena

Jun 30, 2002
Safe

Follow the same advice you do when you're at home. There are always some parts of the city you don't want to go to alone at night dressed well and wearing tons of jewelry and carrying lots of cash. Basic common sense is all you need. I've traveled there as a young, single woman and never had a problem. I felt safer there than in many US and European cities I've been to. HAVE FUN!!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My family and I are going to the same place next month

Do not sweat it! It is a wonderful place, and if you are a nice person and a decent, gentlemany golfer, I might just see if we can go to Playa Grande while you are here.
You see, Robert Trent Jones build Playa Dorada as a course for hotel guests. It is nice, but un remarkable-well, except for the two par 3s that border a section of the beach that is usually topless--But Playa Grande! Ah, that is his, by his own admission, masterpiece...7200 yds on the water...vistas that will distract you, tee shots that will scare you and impeccably well groomed...

Today the

HB is a golfer!
Golfer.gif

Last edited:

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Low Handicapper

No wonder your scores are so low HB. You just play the same two par threes nine times you frisky old guy!!

Emma148

Jul 18, 2002
Ive just come back from there!!!!

Have just got back from the hotel next door to the Naco in Playa Dorada.

DO NOT FEAR - it is a great place, completely safe. Me and my mate - went out clubbing on our own every night and never encountered any problems atall. There are plenty of security about any way, and the hotel staff employ there own also.

There is a night club on the naco hotel area called tops, which is small, a little dingy and dark - but REALLY good fun and completley safe.

I have booked my holiday for december am going back to the same resort, and am trying to move out there next year from the uk - if it wasn't safe - i wouldn't be going.

If you want any info on the resort, things/trips that i have been on, and would recommend drop me and email or pmessage and will be happy to fill you in.

Take enough sun screen though as it's bloody expensive when you run out!

Hope you have a good holiday!!!! Emma

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
And, njbo, don't just stay within the Playa Dorada's huge complex. Get out on day trips to see some of the Dominican Republic. Ride public transportation, much cheaper than taking a taxi. Visit Puerto Plata, Sosua and Cabarete.