budget traveling

kews

Jul 30, 2002
i'm trying to decide on which country i want to travel to and i'm on a budget but want to stay where ever i decide for atleast a month. i was just wondering what is the average amount of money spent daily if traveling on a budget in the dominican republic, and about how much money i shoulc have for a month if i'm planning to travel the whole country instead of just staying in one city. any info would help. thanks.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think we would all love to help you but

We do need some more information.
Do you speak any Spanish?
Are you the least bit adventurous?
Where are you coming from? Like where is home?
Are you willing to go a little native? Or do you have eating requirements?

YOu can live here on practically nothing. But if you want comfort, well that might take a little more.

Do you know any Dominicans up there where you live?

Curious...

HB
BANJO.GIF

kews

Jul 30, 2002
well, i do know spanish, i actually learned it before english. i like traveling light and am not needy for typical comforts. i am very low maintenance i guess you can say. adventure is the whole reason of the trip. i love the nature, but at the same time plan on spending time in the cities. i want to travel the whole country instead of staying in one city. i'm sure there will places that i end up spending alot of more time than others so i won't be leaving to a different place every couple of days. i defenitly prefer to go native, you get so much more out of you adventure and really get to experience the country and culture. i'll have around $2,000 for the travel and the flight and would love to stay more than a month if possible. i just went to a couple of sights that said places to stay and food are quite expensive but then again i don't have a problem with just sleeping on a beach or in a jungle. i also just got back from thailand so i think i might be a little spoiled on how cheap everything is over there. but it sounds good already that you can live there on almost nothing. thanks.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Knowing Spanish will be a big help, and your willingness to sleep in a field or the jungle is too. That shouldn't be necessary, however. The comments you read on other sites re expenses were not written by people planning a trip like yours.

You can find cheap places to stay most places, and you can eat very inexpensively in the small, Dominican places. Food is also good as well as cheap. And travel from place to place on the guaguas and other public transportation is very inexpensive. It has to be because it is the primary means of transportation for Dominican who can't afford cars (a large percentage of the population).

If your $2000 must include round trip air fare, you may have a problem staying a month or more. But you won't know until you try it. You should have quite a time for yourself in the process. I hope you will give us a report on your adventures.

Last edited:

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
As far as air fare is concerned, it depends on where you are traveling from...if you are near one of the "gateway" cities, NY, Newark, Miami, Atlanta, etc. that have direct flights and watch for specials you can score some decent prices. If you are like me and live west of the Mississippi, no such thing as a cheap fare.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
$2000 for one month including airfare? What? Are you on the Ethiopian plan? After Airfare and Cheap motels that will leave you less than $1000 for the month for food and transportation. I hope you like rice and platanos!

Tony C.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Tony C said:
$2000 for one month including airfare? What? Are you on the Ethiopian plan? After Airfare and Cheap motels that will leave you less than $1000 for the month for food and transportation. I hope you like rice and platanos!

Tony C.

Of course 1000 is sufficient for food and transportation. He said he was willing to sleep on beaches and in the jungle. That's not the 'Ethopian Plan', it's a serious budget. But if you're willing to do those things, you will surely live pretty well by those standards on a thousand bucks for 30 days.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
You are willing to sleep on a beach or in the jungle?LMAO!Thats the funniest thing I have heard in a while.If you want to do it cheap,you dont need to sleep in the jungle(hehe),you can get a room in a cheap hotel for $10.00 per night and you can eat cheaply for maybe $10.00 per day.OK,so thas $20.00 per day and maybe a few more bucks for transportation.But I dont understand how you expect to enjoy yourself if you dont have a little spending money.
ILoveDR

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Somebody who doesn't mind sleeping on the beach or in a jungle and who doesn't want to spend money? Sounds like just the kind of Tourist the DR is looking for!

Tony C.

kews

Jul 30, 2002
actually, besides missing my mother, platanos are one of the main reasons i come to visit her. i live a very simple life. well, thank you for the replies. i have pretty good idea of what i have to look forward to and it looks like i just might have to sleep in the jungle and on the beach under the moonlight more than once on my trip. shucks! seems like i'll have a blast. thanks again.

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
I think you can do it. There are places where you can stay very cheaply. Eating at Dominican restuarants is very inexpensive. A friend of my husband's is staying from August to December on very little. Get your info before you leave and you'll be surprised at how little you can spend. If you want more info on what Jorge is doing let me know.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Also if adventure is your game, and you wonder around through town were you see farmer and stop and talk to them, even offer to learn from them, you'll more than likely get a free meal, and even a bed for the night. I would also suggest once getting to the DR buying a couple of jars of Peanut Butter, you'll find bread in most place (I say most because the bread we got in our village was always stale but edible with lots of coffee). As you move away from coastal town and into the interior you might find there is more to explore...(I'm predijudice because I lived in the mts. there). Also you could splurge a bit and hike pico duarte, there you will be under the stars. You have to hire a guide. I lived in the DR off of less than $200 a month, including rent, food, transport, etc. My rent was only $12 dollars. I did this for 2 1/2 years. Hitcking is a great way to see the country, just flag down a pick up truck and ask for a ride. You'll also meet many people there interested in you and what to learn about you and your culture.

Good Luck,

K.J.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Tony C said:
Somebody who doesn't mind sleeping on the beach or in a jungle and who doesn't want to spend money? Sounds like just the kind of Tourist the DR is looking for!

Unlike Tony C, I think it is good that the DR has some visitors like kews. All North Americans/Europeans aren't rich, and that includes most of those staying in the AIs. But they appear rich to the average Dominican, so a blanket impression is formed. Visitors like kews are going to demonstrate that you don't have to be rich to travel if you wish to do so badly enough.

I think kews will set a good example for the Dominicans he interacts with in the interior areas. Many seldom travel further than the route of the guagua that serves their area, and a trip to "the capital" is a major undertaking.

Go for it, kews.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
I'm already here, but...

...can I come?

Sounds fun.

Be sure to let us know how you make out.

When will you be here?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am going to make a couple of assumptions and go from there

first off, you get out of your port of entry asap. Any small town has a hotel for "viajantes" travelling salesmen. they are generally safe and clean. Fondas will serve a huge meal for a few pesos. You can safely hitch rides on truck, pick ups and private cars.

Dress nicely, not in shorts and sandles. Khakis, T shirts, Nikes are normal for young folks. And a middle size back pack. Major valuables always on your person and no fancy jewlery, or watch.

You can see this country much better than I ever have, even after 40 years here.

Good Luck!

HB
bandit.gif

kews

Jul 30, 2002
i'll be in the dominican republic in mid october. if anyone is there around that time i would be more than happy to meet you. i'm always down to meet a new face. well the money thing is no longer a thought but if anyone has any favorite places they'ld like to tell me about i'll be more than happy to hear from you. once again thanks.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Suggest the barahona peninsula...Bahia de Las Aguilas, Cabo Rojo and Pedernales...real beauty, real people, real culture. A lot of wildlife. Some of the most beautiful beaches I ever slept on.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Not only get away from the port of entry asap, but avoid the tourist areas (unless you only spend an hour or two in one looking around).

And follow Hillbilly's advice about dressing the part of a responsible viajero.

N

Not registered

I envy you

Kews;

I did the "youth hostel" backpacking thing through Europe in 1988 and can say it was the experiece of a lifetime.

Staying in "upscale" hotels and eating at fine establishments is great fun, but you never truly get a "feel" for the host nation. Your method of travel and accomodation will certainly allow you to experience the true Dominican People.

I wish I were 21 again, I would ask if I might join you

Janice