Try Sos?a as an Indpendent traveller(long)

richard

Jan 1, 2002
If you?ve been tossing around where to go for a vacation why not travel independently to Sos?a? Forget the Playa Dorada or Punta Cana all-inclusive resorts where you wear your food and beverage bracelet like a prison inmate. If you don?t plan on playing tennis or golf why pay for those facilities? Sos?a is slow right now and offers several small hotels, which for the most part are inexpensive, clean and attractive. Forget the ?rack? rate (posted rate) If you are staying for a week or two you should be able to find accommodation for under $200.00US double per week, less for Single. A recent post at the Sos?a group offered a studio apartment for $150.00 one week or $200.00 two weeks. Some hotels permit overnight guests, perish the thought at the AI?s. Sos?a is relatively small so you don?t need a car or motorbike to get around. Playa Sos?a the main beach is an easy walk from most hotels; it is also clean and safe for swimmers of almost every caliber. Water sports? All kinds of them. If you are interested in Scuba you can get your PADI certification in a week. Sos?a is an ideal location. It is only 10 kilometres from Cabarete, the wind surfer?s paradise. Santiago Puerto Plata, Playa Grande Samana are all easy day trips. Bars? There are small pubs operated by every nationality, Dutch, Canadian, American, German, Dominican, you name it it?s a virtual United Nations. You can party the night away at the discos in Batey the tourist area or check out Charamicos and Sos?a Bajo , the less developed part of town. Sos?a can be as exotic or erotic as you care to make it. It is your choice. Dining out is downright inexpensive. In most restaurants, good ones. You can enjoy a delicious meal exclusive of alcohol for less than 200RD.That even includes The Waterfront where the fantastic view is included for free. If you?ve always dreamt of owning a condo in the tropics, right now one bedroom fully furnished condos in good developments are readily available for under $30,000.00US, some with terms. You can find some of the hotels in the resort reviews here on DR1 or check out ourYahoo Sos?a group. The Sos?a group is a non-commercial group whose members believe that Sos?a is a fine vacation destination and/or a great place to live.We have 100s of photos and a small friendly message board.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sosuadominicanrepublic/

See you, I hope, in Sos?a
;) ;)

Last edited:

richard

Jan 1, 2002
I certainly don't know where all the Sos?a fans are hiding these days. There are several people who visit this site who live in Sos?a and others who have visited who profess their love for it yet no one has posted a reply either agreeing or disagreeing with my post. Business people and the local residents in Sos?a need a boost. How about some Sos?a boosting or is everyone dead?:dead: :confused:

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hello Richard
For those who allready travel independent it's so obvious that you are right, that it's not needing any further comments.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Richard

Had major (partially resolved) computer problems. People ARE travelling to Sosua. July: Condos 29% above last year and 27% above last 5 year average. Plenty of travellers but I guess "Quiet Ones". Need to get them OUT and in town. Trying at the Condos but the A-I's aren't. Cheers.

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Sos?a

It's great to hear the good news Eddy that occupancy is going up. Others I'm in touch with seem optimistic that during the upcoming months business will continue to improve. Places like yours, Condos Dominicano and Sylvie's Hotel Tropix will be fine with their repeats. We know that if the AI's would offer encouragement to their guests to get out and about the restaurants and bars in town would all do much better. The Dutch and Germans who fly in on Martinair and the German airlines seem to me to be the ones buying "Air Only" while Canadian Airlines such as Transat must have an arrangement with Casa Marina and the Playa Dorada resorts because here in Canada there seems to be little effort to sell Air Only.

http://www.condosdominicano.com/

http://www.tropixhotel.com

Take care and see you in Sos?a Eddy.
:cool:

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
AI vs. Independent

You guys certainly know that I travel independently throughout all of RD and I wouldn't have it any other way. I personally know at least 20 people from my area that have been to RD in the last year but I'm the only person out of those that has traveled independently. They book the AIs because the travel agents here sell the packages and I have a feeling that the travel agencies receive a larger percentage from selling the AI packages than from selling air alone. Further, at least 16 out of that minimum of 20 speak no Spanish whatsoever. They'd be lost in many of the places I go to. So why do Americans end up at the AIs?
1. Travel agents
2. Price
3. All you can eat and drink
4. Little or no language barriers
5. Direct flights on chartered jets
6. Selling power of the AIs
7. A sense of being safer
8. Convenience
9. All needed is on premises
10. Sanki Pankis

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
That reminds me of my favorite AI movie with Patrick Swayze in his famous sanki panki role. Dirty Dancing. "Nobody puts Baby in a corner."
:) mk

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Re: AI vs. Independent

KenoshaChris said:
You guys certainly know that I travel independently throughout all of RD and I wouldn't have it any other way. I personally know at least 20 people from my area that have been to RD in the last year but I'm the only person out of those that has traveled independently. They book the AIs because the travel agents here sell the packages and I have a feeling that the travel agencies receive a larger percentage from selling the AI packages than from selling air alone. Further, at least 16 out of that minimum of 20 speak no Spanish whatsoever. They'd be lost in many of the places I go to. So why do Americans end up at the AIs?
1. Travel agents
2. Price
3. All you can eat and drink
4. Little or no language barriers
5. Direct flights on chartered jets
6. Selling power of the AIs
7. A sense of being safer
8. Convenience
9. All needed is on premises
10. Sanki Pankis

All valid reasons of course Chris, and at least they are going to the DR . With so many countries competing for the tourist dollar at least people are being introduced to the country. Hopefully they will pass the word to their friends that it is a great destination.;)

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
When you are going to an AI, and just walking around there with your bracelet, I cant quite understand that it makes any difference wich country you are going to. It should be about the same if it's DR, Cuba, Jamica, Barbados etc.