Deleting posts - 1st time I've ever commented on it

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
I bet some of you are upset about deletions. Read on and then see how you feel.

So <b>you spent a long time getting that info</b>, making sure it was accurate, and adjusting your wording until it was just right, and now the post is gone.

So you were a <b>victim of being part of a thread that was killed</b> off for no fault of yours and your words of wisdom are gone.

So you <b>drifted from the topic</b>, lashed out, or just posted while <b>you were in a bad mood</b> and bang, the post is gone.

So you were <b>attacked</b> and were <b>not allowed to defend</b> yourself.

Did you know you can go get that post, maybe change it, or just re-post it? Sure! Try Tools, Internet Options, Gemeral tab. Press the Settings button under Temporary Internet Files, and then selectin View Files. Sort by Internet address, or by date, and Hey! <b>There's your post!</b>

Now if your post deserved deletion, and you know it, live and learn! I've had my share of deleted posts and every time it deserved to be deleted. I knew it, the moderator knew it, and we both knew the other knew it. It isn't personal. Rob has even gone and visited some of the people that declared him the devil for deleting their posts. <b>It just isn't personal. It's business.</b>

I consider the deletion of my posts to generally be a favor. It saves me from later embarrassment. I don't have to read later with my head screwed on a bit tighter and wish I hadn't said what I said, or said it they way I said it.

If you have to call someone an idiot to make it known that they are an idiot, then maybe they aren't an idiot. If they are, it was well known to all non-idiots without it being pointed out.

So all you folks that had that moment of steam and declared publicly you'd never post again, we are having a moment of forgive, forget, pride and egos aside, and for the first time, lets have <b>a DO OVER</b>. A moratorium. Amnesty. Most of us probably don't even remember what you said or why you went away.

<b>Come on back</b>, declare your presence, and you'll get a warm welcome across the board. Well, there may be a few where the welcome isn't there. Maybe if you were banned or something like that, but if you just up and walked because of censorship or deleted posts, get over it.

I just showed you your words are still there and if you want to, you can recover them and post again, e-mail the moderator for a ruling, or change the words if you like.

Of course, don't forget why your posts were deleted to start with either, and do note, Rob has been VERY lenient with the censorship and has even bent over backwards by creating areas were people can post gibberish and jokes, hogwash and crap, and debates until exhaustion.

Rob's been professional in moderation, drawing the line at "scum sucking pig", personal threats, and spamming. Hey, if that isn't crossing the line I don't know what is.

Won't you all come back? You know you want to, you know most people enjoyed your character, and keep it objective this time. Most of you had a lot to offer and enjoyed offering it.

<b>Your posts WILL get deleted.</b> Count on it. It's part of the game to be able walk that line without crossing it, don't you think?

And as far as my last post getting deleted, well moved anyway, <b>I'm out of here for good!</b> At least until my PC reboots.

Last edited:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Quite accurate, Jim, great post. Although I don't always agree with you, I quite admire your intellect. Many times, I read your posts, and then think, "hmmm...I'd never thought about it THAT way." Keep up the good work.

Personally, I have been on this board since 1999, and have only had one or two of my own posts/threads deleted. At the time, I was a little miffed, however, over time, realized, "yeah, Rob was probably right."

Deletions on the board definitely have their place...some people go way too far (myself being one a time or two). If I were the moderator, and someone was running me down at every opportunity and announcing that they were leaving and never coming back (you know who you are), I'd not only delete the post, but would show them the way to the door and change the locks so they'd never have the opportunity to come back. I guess that's why I'm not the moderator of one of the most successful travel message boards on the web.

Robert sees past the idiocity and realizes there is a usefulness for everybody's opinion, but rids us of the opinions that cross the line. I have seen many people come and go on this board, and in one way, shape, or form, most come back...some under a different name, but I'd say 90% come back. Why is that? Because it's a well-run board with quite an interesting group of characters, our own little novella . It's hard to stay away.

Last edited:

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Pib said:
Amen!

Jim you wrote what I would have written if I had written what you wrote. And what Trina said.

I couldn't agree more with Jim, Trina and Pib. True, so very true. I think I've been visiting this site since about 1997, I don't always agree but then I know others don't always agree with me. Robert does an excellent job of running this thing.;) :lick: I'm not trying to butter him up but it is really true. Thanks again to Rob and Dolores for DR1.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for that bit of tech. It helps to know that sort of stuff.
Apparently typing isn't all that is needed to discourse on the Internet...
Well put.

HB
znaika.gif

richard

Jan 1, 2002
to Jim

Hi Jim when I followed your steps I found the item. right clicked and then clicked open. A window came up saying to do things on this command may be unsafe, did I wish to continue? I clicked no, not to continue.Would it do damage if I had continued? Thank you.:confused:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It's the same old story...

You can't please all the people all the time.

As we always say, if your not happy, we are more than willing to send you a full refund ;)

Yeah, the personal threats and law suits are always interesting.
Obviously some people have very sad and unfulfilling parasitical existences!