poor tourist

RachelGood

Aug 25, 2002
Hi all,
I am visiting Santo Domingo for an organized conference, and I am considering tacking a few extra days to my trip for touring since I have never been to DR. I am a woman in my early 20's who does not have much money, but I've traveled on my own a bit and I grew up speaking Spanish (though it's now rusty). Basically, I am wondering if it will be safe and cheap to travel alone. Are there hostels or cheap motels, decent public transportation, etc? I plan on looking at Lonely PLanet type guide books if I go, but right now I'm just trying to decide how long to book my trip for.
Appreciate any general advice,
Rachel

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
With respect to public transportation, if by "decent" you mean deluxe, then "no", except for buses of Caribe Tour and Metro that are best for traveling long distances. But to get from town to town there are guaguas and publicos which will get you where you want to go without fear of being attacked, though you may be squeezed in like a sardine at times. But most people use them, including foreign tourists and expatriates who don't own cars.

In the thread "Bunny is Back" she spoke of a hotel where she spent 4 nights that cost US$20/night. When I go to Santo Domingo, I stay in a small hotel that costs about the same. Where I stay you would be safe, and Bunny (traveling alone) experienced no problems.

You may want to ask for specific suggestions in the areas you want to visit so that you have lodging in mind for each stop on your itinerary.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are great places to stay and things to do, fairly near Sto Dgo. Especially in the Juan Dolio area. Ask MommC if she can recommend a few places to stay.
Public transport is safe, especially for a young lady.
Dress conservatively-jeans and a tee shrit are fine....no jewelry except a watch...timex or Swatch...

You will have a ball.

If you want to visit the North Shore-sosua puerto plata Cabarete area, just take a Caribe Tour bus and stay at Tropix in Sosua. Can't think of a nicer place, except for maybe Condos Dominicanos.

Both have been well recommended.

HB ;)