Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! (Monday)

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Happy Thanksgiving, all my Canadian friends. Hope you all have a great day, filled with turkey and all the fixings!
God bless all,
Trina

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thank you Trina and the same to you and your family.We are having ours tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Thanks Trina!!

and Happy Thanksgiving to you too! I had mine last night, mmmm, I ate so much, I don't ever want to eat again! :cheeky:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Are the origins of Thanksgiving in Canada similar to those of Thanksgiving in the US?

Interesting that the custom in both countries is to eat turkey.

anim1995.gif

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Yes Ken we eat turkey too. We tried seals but they're not as tasty and they are way too big to fit in the oven. ;) Yes we also have all the trimmings that go with a Turkey dinner. I guess you know that our's is held early due to the early harvest. I used to serve lasagna as well but decided it's cheaper and easier to just get a bigger turkey.

john harper

Jan 1, 2002
thanksgiving in the usa the same as Canada,yep,thankfull we can put a meal together like a thanksgiving meal,thankfull we have a home to have it in,thankfull we have friends to share it with,thankfull for all the good that has come our way,and thankfull for our freedom,including the right to hope and pray for the ones who don't share at this time what we have, that someday they will,so to all the rest of you Canadians happy thanksgiving,and to all you Americans ,seeing i'll be a long way from a computer on your thanksgiving,have a great one too....

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Little info for Ken ;)

There are three traditions behind our Canadian Thanksgiving Day.
Long ago, before the first Europeans arrived in North America, the farmers in Europe held celebrations at harvest time. To give thanks for their good fortune and the abundance of food, the farm workers filled a curved goat's horn with fruit and grain. This symbol was called a cornucopia or horn of plenty. When they came to Canada they brought this tradition with them.

In the year 1578, the English navigator Martin Frobisher held a formal ceremony, in what is now called Newfoundland, to give thanks for surviving the long journey. He was later knighted and had an inlet of the Atlantic Ocean in northern Canada named after him - Frobisher Bay. Other settlers arrived and continued these ceremonies.

The third came in the year 1621, in what is now the United States, when the Pilgrims celebrated their harvest in the New World. The Pilgrims were English colonists who had founded a permanent European settlement at Plymouth Massachusetts. By the 1750's, this joyous celebration was brought to Nova Scotia by American settlers from the south.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
NEVER FORGET THE PUMPKIN PIE AT THE END YUM I CAN HARDLY WAIT TIL TONIGHT,HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ONE AND ALL

Kundalini

Feb 5, 2002
Man, I'm I confused !!!!!

The calender in my office says 'Columbus day' Thanksgiving day' in Canada. Was there another 'Mayflower and Plymouth Rock that I don't know about? Just curious.. Anyway gooble gooble to all our Canadiens friends..

buen provecho !!
kundaLINI

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Happy Thanksgiving Day for the folks in the Northern Climes and Happy Columbus Day for the folks in the US. Anything for a day off, right?

HB