Airtraffic control (ATC)

Poetin

Oct 29, 2002
www.gamers4ever.net
Hi all,

I've been an Student AT controller for 4 months with the Dutch ATC. Unfortunatelly I had to drop out of the course because I've failed one out of 15 subjects.

Now, recently I've been in Sosua. I like the life and the people in DR. So I was thinking of moving to the DR and get a job with the airtraffic control in Puerto Plata.

Does anyone know any possibilities or any channels on how to contact them and get the information.

Tanks in advance!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Failed 1 out of 15 subjects???? You're FAR too qualified to be an ATC here - go forget some of the things you learned & THEN apply!!
Just as a point of interest, what was the subject you failed - how to interpret information on a computer screen? Why can't you take the course again & study harder on the subject you failed? That would keep you amongst people whom you know & in an enviornment where you can get better back up if/when you screw up in reality!
As the saying goes on this board - just a thought!! - Grahame.

Poetin

Oct 29, 2002
www.gamers4ever.net
If you really want to know... I've failed RadioTelephony Their argument was that i speak too fast - they prefer 100 to 110 words a minute and I run them hot at whopping 135 a minute.

As for doing it again... The answer is No. The Dutch ATC policy is Fail is Exit. There is no possibility for returning. If you really want to know why, I'll gladly will give you their phonenumber.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Do us a favor dont waste any more time with stupid questions,where have you ever seen a company give you a job before you meet the qualifications and i do believe speaking the language would be pretty important in a job that holds the responsable for so many lives,wake up and be realistic:confused:

Poetin

Oct 29, 2002
www.gamers4ever.net
I don't know how's your understanding but in mine the job would mean to have a training first... doh...

Moreover. I just inquired some info on how to get in touch with the Dominican ATC. If you don't know how, then don't reply. I could actually say that YOU have been wasting MY time, but this would be rather rude, wouldn't it?

So, my initial question cq request remains: If anyone knows how to get in touch with the Dominican ATC, then please send me the info.

Again, thanks in advance.

PS: the ATC is always being conducted in English unless stated otherwise. For more information please see ICAO Site

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I would guess your chances are very slim and I'm sure the ATC positions here are a closed shop.
Sorry, I don't have their number, and to be honest, I would forget trying to get a job with the ATC here.

I agree with you Poetin, if posters haven't got anything constructive to add to a legitimate question, don't waste DR1 bandwidth by posting. How's that for a passive aggressive reply?

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
I have contructive things to say when the merit is there.I still fail to see how you could get a training in a spanish speaking country if you dont speak or understand the language and that is only a reflection ,if its a waste of DR1 bandwith so be it.

Poetin

Oct 29, 2002
www.gamers4ever.net
Just wasting a few bytes more...
Enjoy...

TWR = Tower
BA254 = Speedbird254
DEP = Departure
* = memo
===

TWR: BA254, Behind departing KLM 747 line up RWY (Runway) 09 behind
BA254: Roger, Behind departing KLM 747 line up RWY (Runway) 09 behind

*2.5 minutes pass

TWR: BA254, Cleared for take-off RWY 09, wind 08505
BA254: Roger, Cleared for take-off RWY 09 copied the wind

*The British Airways flight 254 passes 2000 feet AGL (Above Ground Level)

BA254: Amsterdam Departure, BA254, passing 2200 feet, climbing to FL60 (Flightlevel) on an Arnhem Departure
DEP: BA254, Roger, continue the climb to FL90, call me passing FL80
BA254: Roger, continuing the climb to FL90, Wilco FL80

*BA254 passes FL80

BA254: BA254, passing FL80
DEP: BA254, Roger, contact Amsterdam Radar on 124.77 Goodday.
BA254: Switching to 124.77 Tot ziens.

And so forth...

As for Senor Honda: Usually all training is being given in English and as I stated before, if it's possible then I would gladly learn Spanish. I already can speak 4 major languages so the fifth one shouldn't be a problem.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Thanks for the lesson if all training is done in english in the D.R.I humbly excuse myself,however if not??????However 1 last question ,is english the primary language used by a t controlers in the D.R?

Poetin

Oct 29, 2002
www.gamers4ever.net
The answer

However 1 last question ,is english the primary language used by a t controlers in the D.R?

To start with: The International Flights (except for Spanish ones, rather a matter of preference than rules) are controlled in English.

Local flights can be controlled in Spanish. However, ICAO and the FAA prefer (in order not to get the international pilots confused) that also they will be controlled in English.

A sidenote: ICAO and the FAA state that if a pilot receives ATC in English, he must be able to fully understand and comply to the given ATC. Apart from habits and preferences these are the rules of ATC.

I hope that this answers your question.

Regards,

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Personally, I think the Dutch system sucks. ATC is a difficult job, tense beyond belief. Are there no appeals? How can they invest so much money and get nothing in return? Doesn't make sense.
The department that handles this in the DR is either aeronautica civil or Autoridad Aeroportuaria. I have no idea as to the availability.
Idea: Why not try for a job in the US? A little more course work and you get certified. Have a career that really pays well...
I alsays laugh at people that don't know the Dutch education system, hey! They get four languages by the time they graduate from High School. And very well...English, German, French and Dutch.--but they still can't understand Papiamento!! hehehe

Good Luck
HB FLT 69 Heavy, Out

Poetin

Oct 29, 2002
www.gamers4ever.net
You're totally right,...

I indeed had those 4 languages at school... I only totally forgot how to speak, write or read French. However, Russian is my fourth language (or actually the first one ;) )

Okezz, so ATC is passe in DR. How about systemdevelopment, are there any good jobs in that branche in DR? That's my actual work now here in the Netherlands. My actual, short resume...

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
This is just my ininformed opinion, but I would suspect the powers that be would be very interested in speaking with you.

Not only are the international airports being expanded and/or built, so is tourism. FLights are expected to increase in number. Your language skills could be very valuable in an airport environment, emergencies, and your English in training Dominican applicants.

Don't stop checking until you locate the actual people that can tell you yes or no because everyone else is an unimformed speculator (like me). A pilot would be a good contact and I know there are a few airline industry Dominicans on this board. Do a search on flights and contact them.

Regarding the Dutch fail policy, I agree. I bet they have plenty of slack built into the system so that those capable of passing have a reasonable chance of doing so. If speaking too fast was the only problem, you must have known this and could not or would not comply.

No, I think somebody didn't like you is more likely. Any insight as to why? Probably not your personality. You kept your cool during first insult here on the board. Most snap back. Tell us what you did.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Poetin: I have made a few calls. I will try and get you a contact number and a name. Jim is right. There has to be some slack built into that system. Look into the USA, I know they need people, and the lights don't go out very often over there.

HB
BANJO.GIF