Several observations worth noting

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Elias Bureau Ratings:
For the few who were questioning the value of some of the Dominican baseball players because most did not play in the "invisible" World Series, take today's Bureau ratings, which are used by agents and teams to negotiate salaries and establish the best objective value of players: The best player in baseball in 2002 was Manny Ramirez with a perfect 100. We also had Alex Rodriguez, Pedro Martinez, Soriano, Sammy Sosa, Vlad Guerrero, and others among the top all around and in their categories. So much for World Series value. With the exception of Barry Bonds, none of the WS players will get close to these guys.

Haitian Boat Situation in Miami:
It was only a matter of time before the Haitian problem exploded in the face of the US government. After years of accusing DR of discrimination against Haitians, the big powers are now getting a taste of Haitian parasitism. The funny thing is that this whole event was plotted by the Haitian community leaders in Miami in conjunction with boat smugglers as a lucrative business and was strategically planned to coincide with the elections to pressure Jeb Bush into submission. Now Jeb is face to face with his brother George over the policy of rightfully jailing this criminal element being smuggled into Miami. Hopefully Jeb will be smart enough not to let his election become an issue. Let the Haitians scream all they want. They have no vote anyway that can change anything. Besides, Cubans will take this as a reason to vote for Bush, since Haitians are using Cubans as a shield. The Dominicans that were caught should also be jailed and deported.

TW

JOCHYPLAYA

Aug 29, 2002
I agree this was a plot planned by haitians for the election season. It gets more complicated because there were a couple of cubans on that boat, that were picked up at sea on the way to florida, and the "pitis" will probably get the back up of the african-american brotherhood . I guess this is good news for DR. Let the U.S.A. deal with them because we are tired of dealing with this haitian ****.
Haitians should all leave the island and go settle in miami. We should take over and keep the whole island to ourselves like they tried to do to us in the 1800's. Maybe we can use that wasteland to build nuclear plants or something.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
If anybody believes that those people spent 8 days on that boat before arriving here I have have some prime swampland to sell them!
It is understood by the vast majority of people here that this was all a set up by the Democrats to drum up the Black community to get out and vote in next weeks election. Luckily the plan has backfired. The Haitians have done themselves much more harm than good. By using this incident to attack Gov. jeb Bush they have just shown their ignorance and lack of respect of US Laws. The Gov. of Florida can do nothing about US immigration policy. That is a Federal matter.
The fact that the frieghter made it all the Way in To South Biscayne Bay has just made Americans more aware in the gaps of our security. This will just lead to more stringent Immigration laws.
The Haitians also like to scream about how they are discriminated because Cuban refugees are treated differently. The claim that they have the same status as Cubans. HELLO? Cuba is a Communist Dictatorship that is openly antagonistic to the US. The US Gov. and many othe nations consider Cuba one of the worlds worst violators of Humn rights.
Haiti on the other hand is a freely elected democracy. Remember how Clinton spent over $4,000,000,000.00 of our Tax dollars to insure that?

Tony C.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Tony

You are stretching a little bit here. Cubans under Fidel are doing much better than Haitians and while it is true that the system in Cuba allows for an understanding of US policy towards Cubans, Haitians are also under much political an ideological pressure from their dictator. Yet, I must agree with common sense, that Haitian boat people are just treasure seekers, not political refugees and should be treated the way they are by US authorities.

While I quite dislike Cuban Americans because of their arrogance and hypocrisy towards Fidel, they have been a positive addition to the culture,social and economic stability of South Florida and other areas where they accumulate. Haitians on the other hand have nothing to offer.

Cuban Americans for their recent history are the most progressive Latin inmigrant group in the US far surpassing Mexicans, who are better entrenched because of their tenure.

On the negative side, Cuban Americans do not wish any good for Cuba. Their whole intent is based on vengeance, greed, and a nostalgic passion for a past that will not come soon. This malicious intent has only aggravated life for their compatriots and delayed democratic changes.

TW

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: Tony

golo said:

On the negative side, Cuban Americans do not wish any good for Cuba. Their whole intent is based on vengeance, greed, and a nostalgic passion for a past that will not come soon. This malicious intent has only aggravated life for their compatriots and delayed democratic changes.

TW

That cannot be farther from the truth. Are you aware of the Millions of $ that the Cubans in Miami remit to their familes in Cuba every year?
Only the Old farts long for the Cuba of yesteryear. That is long gone never to return. The vast majority here, Including me, Just wish for a free Cuba.
Perhaps if it was your country and people going through this you would sing a different tune!

Tony C.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Tony
Funny but i agree with you if any one takes the time to wear anothers shoes they will always understand better.Maybe some folks should now try on a pair of haitian shoes,oh sorry most haitians cant afford shoes.

Apr 26, 2002
JOCHYPLAYA said:
Maybe we can use that wasteland to build nuclear plants or something.

Dominican nuclear power plants?!?! From a country that can't keep a cable car working?!?! If it ever happens, move far, far, away.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
cable car is working just fine. Use it, its fun and the view is million dollars worth. Too bad foreigners pay twice as much as dominicans for the same ride.
About the nuclear plant, sounds like a great idea. Imagine electric 24/7?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Nukes? Not going to happen...too many fault zones in the area, tectonic movements would cause astronomic building cost overruns......Say!! That's it! the Ultimate Dominican Bamboozle!!

We start a company, call it UDB, promise lights for the whole country at 3.5 ? a kilo, say 500 megawatts, no, let's make it 2000 megawatt facility. Get financing backed by the Dominican government, with guaranteed payments....then after a few years of "construction" we say, Ooops!, it won't work! Take our money and go to , oh I don't know...maybe Mallorca?? Tahiti?

HB

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Ever heard of the "ring of fire" scarecrow?
They have earthquakes in Japan, and they have nuclear plants. They just don't want nuclear battleships in Yokohama...
But I do like the creative way you've thought of to make some money in the DR.
mk

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
A-Rod

Golo: I wish we stopped calling Alex Rodriguez Dominican. The guy does not consider himself Dominican, then why should we? In the US nobody even knows that his parents are of Dominican descent.

BTW: I'm so glad the Angels won the WS. Can't stand the Giants and in addition one of the angel's pitchers (Ramon Ortiz) is from my hometown. His brother is married to my sister. This guy becomes a free agent this coming year...Expect him to make beaucoup millions USD. Hopefully he'll put some of it back into the community...

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
suarezn

I agree with you, Alex Rodriguez was born of Dominican parents in the U.S.A....but perhaps you're missing the boat. This guy has claimed all over that he is Dominican. It is just that the U.S. press and the U.S. sporting world wants to keep this very quiet for obvious reasons. He even said that if baseball stays for the Olympics he would play for the Dominican team. That....says it all.

I want to bring about the hypocrisy of birthright in this case. Americans who live abroad and bear children abroad always, and I mean always will say, state, declare and swear that their children are American. But they cannot stand when people who immigrate to the States claim their own nationality for their children who are born there.

My son, a pure bred American, who was born in New York out of two Dominican parents will always be a Dominican by bloodright. His citizenship will never shadow his origins and nature.

Some great talent born outside of the U.S. is also stolen by this hypocrisy. Take for instance Patrick Ewing. 99% of the people in the U.S. think he is a black american who attended Georgetown U. But he is as Jamaican as can be. Sports authorities always kept this very quietly and always will for their convenience. There are hundreds like this.

TW

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
The American people have a catch-22 situation. We all are the decendents of immigrants. Now some of us want to close the door and say "no more". Easy to say when you are here. On the other hand, we can't just open our borders and let people land in small boats and wander up onto the mainland as they see fit.

I personally think our immigration laws are too strict. We can't have a country where everybody is rich and nobody works. In order for those that are here to move up, we need to keep a steady flow of people to fill up the bottom ranks. Instead, we (try to) import at the upper end, which only makes it tougher for our own children to compete.

That little incidident just drew the nation's attention, a nation aleady giddy about foreigners. They have sealed their fate, because now we are listening, and political leaders are forced to take sides. The side is not going to be in the side of the Haitians.

I feel for their plight. Do they feel for their brothers, the ones they left behind to find for themselves?