Taking a bus

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I need to learn how to take a bus here! I never rode a bus in my life except the yellow school bus! Where do I get a bus from Colonial Zone to Boca chica or Palinque? I have no idea where to catch these busses. I know there are the big bus stations but is htere some place here in tjhe zone that you can get a bus to the beach for the day?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I can only tell you how to get from Duarte (Plaza Lama) to BC.

Ask any of the drivers, they will show you were the buses for BC are located.
Take the expresso, it's RD$20, fast and comfortable. They appear to run every 15 mins.

Last bus back to SD leaves at around 10pm I believe.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
You take any bus...

...to parque Enriquillo and then walk two blocks north and catch the bus to Boca Chica.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Taking the Bus.

Yes, you can get a bus from the Parque Enriquillo area to B.C. Parque Enriquillo, to be polite, is in a real commercial part of the city, it is not a tourist area, so be careful, protect your valuables and take only what you need for the trip. Have a good time. Regards, PJT

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
You can get buses to Palenque on avenida Bolivar near the Parque Independencia, just past the carritos stop. You will see buses and drivers gathered just before calle Doctor Baez on the north side of the street. Look for a hand lettered sign that says "Palenque" in the windscreen in front of the driver. There are many more Palenque buses on the weekend. I think the fare is in the neighborhood of 20 pesos now and I recommend you pay for two seats for comfort and security. Some will say that marks you as a foreigner but you wouldn't otherwise be fooling anyone.

Palenque is a beach frequented by capitalenos.

Last edited:

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Playa Palenque

Last year I visited Playa Palenque in the south. It was a black sanded beach as I understand most are in this region. I retreated to the mens room to slip into my thong. I then went swimming. When I returned from the water, a native man approached me and told me to turn around(in spanish) which I did. He saw my thonged ass and told me that was a problem here and he called the police. Well the police arrested him, but I am wondering why he felt this way. I was a bit unnerved at the thought of going to a dominican jail for indecent exposure.

I wouldnt go to that beach again, Boca Chica is much prettier.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Thanks for the help all! Now I just have to get up the gutts to go and do it! I liked Palinque Beach much better than Boca Chica. It seemed to have less Tigres and was so much more relaxed. But the white sand and clear water is so much more beautiful. They both have their good and bad I guess. But it seems that Boca Chica is much more accessable. Keep up with the info! And thanks again.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
He saw my thonged ass and told me that was a problem here and he called the police. Well the police arrested him, but I am wondering why he felt this way.
They arrested him instead of you?? What a happy end! (pardon the pun)

Jan, don't worry, just do it - the first time is always the most awkward and then you'll be able to go the beach whenever you feel like it!

Last edited:

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
ok...got a new question...i figured out where the bus is near enriquillo. I guerss i can get a public car at independencia park to duarte but what car can i take coming home? back to the colonial zone?
I have to figure out how to do this so I can get out of this city sometimes.

Arve

Oct 13, 2002
Bus? To Boca Chica and back?? I always take that one.. when I'm there.. from Jose Marti, next to Duarte. At times I take it from Independencia but that might involve a long wait.. Going back from Boca Chica you can take it to Parque Independencia and that's pretty close to the Colonial Zone methinks.. Any useful?

I'm a tourist, so I love that busride. :)

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Know that Boca Chica is very different depending on the day of week and time of day. 8am on Tuesday morning, and it is deserted, clean, calm, and gorgeous. 3pm on Sunday, it can get as crowded as an anthill, even in the water, and the accomanying trash won't all get picked up until Monday. That's also when many more vendors are present.

Weekends, the beach is made up mostly of local Dominican families and lots of children. Weekdays, you'll find mostly tourists.

Any day, early in the morning is very nice of you like peaceful.