valium

patrick1473

Nov 6, 2002
I am soon travelling to DR, and have been taking valium (diazepam) for many years. I will be staying in Boca Chica for three months. Will I need to see a doctor for this medication or can it be bought over the counter. If I need to see a doctor can any one recommend one in Boca Chica

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You will need to see a doctor. Most medicines that require a prescription in many other countries can be bought without a prescription in the DR. Reason is that most people don't have enough money to buy medicines that haven't been prescribed by a doctor so the controls required elsewhere aren't necessary.

But valium and other drugs of a narcotic nature must have a prescription. Most doctors, but not all, can write prescriptions for these drugs. Some, because of the nature of their practice/specialty haven't gone through the procedure of getting the permit necessary to prescribe these drugs.

S

SDecatur

"But valium and other drugs of a narcotic nature must have a prescription. "

Valium is NOT a narcotic, but a muscle relaxant and anti anxiety medication. You can also search the web and find all sorts of names for it such as "psychotropic etc," but it is certainly not a narcotic

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The question, SDecatur, was whether valium can be bought over the counter in the DR. The answer is that it cannot because it is covered under the law that requires a special prescription to buy in the DR. Whether or not it is truly a "narcotic" is not the point. Which group of medications the Dominican government puts valium in is.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Don't sweat it. Once you get here the ocean and the girls will be your valium. Besides, why a muscle "relaxer"?? Dont you need the opposite??

But, all kidding aside, get a copy of your MD.s records, and take it to a reputible doctor here...One who can write a script RX for Valium.. Should be no problem whatsoever...

HB

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
When I came here I got my doc. in Usa to get me what I needed for the time I was here. Plan a little ahead. Buy all you need there with you insurance everytime you are permitted to refill. But since I have been here I haven't taken half the pain meds I needed in USA. I'm not sure why..the weather..the relaxed life style. But I still have a full script of Vicodan...oops I used 3 in 1 year. And my allergy meds...I don't use them. This country seems to be better medicine than anything you can buy in the store!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Patrick, the hotel you are staying at in Boca Chica will be able to recommend a good doctor. I'm certain they have someone they refer guests to and call to the hotel in case of an emergency there.

domerican

Oct 9, 2002
My friend's mom visited the DR from P.R. a few months ago and she seems to be addicted to the "stuff". She comes to the DR ("I think") only to get valium without a prescription! Go figure, she always has luck - no one has ever asked her for a Rx.

However, I would plan ahead and bring your own meds. If you don't and decide to buy here, just remember to check the expiration date of the med. (drug stores here have no problem selling out of date meds).

patrick1473

Nov 6, 2002
Thanks for all your help I've returned from thr DR where I had a great time, I did visit a doctor in Boca Chica Who prescribed Dilum he said it was the same as Valium has any one heard of it? Thanks for all replys can't wait to come back next year for a longer stay

patrick1473

Nov 6, 2002
VALIUM

Many thanks to all replys. I've just returned from DR where i had a great time. I did visit a doctor in Boca Chica who prescribed Dilum, Which he said was the same as Valium. has any one heard of this medication. Again thanks and I can't wait to return in the summer

O

Old_BUFF_Driver

Ken , pharmacy question

Ken said:
The question, SDecatur, was whether valium can be bought over the counter in the DR. The answer is that it cannot because it is covered under the law that requires a special prescription to buy in the DR. Whether or not it is truly a "narcotic" is not the point. Which group of medications the Dominican government puts valium in is.

Ken

are you a pharmacist? from your posts I assume you are, so I ask you this: What classification and prescribing class does the DR government place Endocet in? I would also be interested in the different scheduling and classifications of Oxycodone vs. hydrocodone

Thanks for you help

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No, I'm not a pharmacist. Just a resident with some knowledge. Maybe Hillbilly can answer your question.