Import tax on Cell phones and accessories.

MobileUSA

Nov 9, 2002
arianamobile.com
Can someone explaine to me what are the custom regulation in Santo Domingo. basically, I am travelling to DR to find buyers for telecommunication products such as; cell phones, accessories etc. I will be travelling along with some samples of cell phones and accessories. I need to know what will be the import tax on that merchandise. actually I will not be selling them, I will be carrying them to show it to the buyers. can any one get to me and let me know what will be the custom tax on those item. If there I need to know the percentage 10% 20% etc.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
MobileUSA said:
I will be travelling along with some samples of cell phones and accessories. I need to know what will be the import tax on that merchandise. actually I will not be selling them, I will be carrying them to show it to the buyers. can any one get to me and let me know what will be the custom tax on those item. If there I need to know the percentage 10% 20% etc.

How many samples? I know a guy who had 120 new cell phones in boxes as "samples" and had them seized by Customs who didn't buy that story. Assuming you have a few, and mark business on the tourist card and tell them what you are doing, I'd have to think you wouldn't pay anything on the basis they don't stay behind. The immigration guys are not the customs guys anyway when you arrive.

If you have a crate the size of a piano prepare for them to open your bags. Otherwise they don't usually open gringo luggage to look let alone charge anything.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
A good way to get caught, lying to immigration

Maiko said:
Fly as a tourist!
Besides, what does mobile USA have for those in the DR?

You last sentence does not mean anything at all. What's mobile USA?

Most USA cell phones, digital and analog and GSM work in DR either as a dual NAM setup (both US and DR numbers) or reactivated with just a DR #.

I use a Bell Atlantic Qualcomm phone with only a DR #, activated with Codetel and used with a Communicard which works very well. There is a huge demand for cell phones owing to the lack of a wired infrastructure for phones like North Americans would be accustomed to.

I am not sure bringing samples and sales material and then saying you are not traveling on business is a good approach with any immigration agents these days. Looking for markets and having samples is a perfectly legitimate practice.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
How many phones are we talking about? Are these "samples" leaving again? I'll find out what they are paying on duties and taxes. Be aware, if you are going into the business you are in for a tough ride. The big players here rely on purchase volumes to keep the price low and profits high. The little players (locals) rely on contraband and underpaying duties and taxes. Are you up to that?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Telecommunications equipments
Duties: 8% of CIF value
ITBIS: 12% CIF
Recargo Cambiario: 4.75% CIF
Calculating the actual duties and taxes to pay is NOT simple, too long to explain now, use that for a rough estimate. Companies affiliated to the Asociation of Importers of Cel phones (or something of that sort) pay lower duties, not sure how lower.