Transportation between Sosua and Playa Grande

debby

Nov 12, 2002
We are staying in Sosua and are going to golf a day at Playa Grande, what is the best way to get there and back?

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
Either hire a Taxi or take Caribe Tours to Rio San Juan and then take a taxi or a Gua Gua to Playa Grande.

A taxi would be better to get to and from for the day...

Have fun! Playa Grande is a great place!

Rosanie

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Caribe Tour from Sosua to Samana does not stop in Rio San Juan.

The present taxi charge from Sosua to Playa Grande is RD$700, or RD$900 for the round trip. There is a good chance the round trip charge includes the driver waiting until you complete your round of golf and are ready to return. I would arrange with a taxi driver with that in mind.

If you care to pursue it, an alternative for the trip to Playa Grande would be to get one of the Publico (public car) drivers to take you. They charge less than the taxi, even when you pay for all 6 seats. The Sousa terminal for these cars is across the highway, more or less oposite the Texaco station. They have blue signs on their roof saying something like Sosua-Rio San Juan. You would then have to take a taxi back.

Your best bet with respect to freedom from hassle and assured transportation would be a driver from Sosua making the round trip.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Stop for 20 minutes en route.....

for a completely unique and fun experience, ask your driver to stop for a short visit to the small fruit plantation that is somewhere near Playa Grande on the main road.

It is set up so you can see every kind of fruit tree that grows on the island--coffee plants, etc.--plus their own bee colony. A short walk through will give you a chance to see cocoa, pineapples, bananas, etc. all grouped together so you don't have to walk all over.

They will show you how they grow and harvest the fruit, you will see a demonstration of "machete madness" as the worker husks a coconut, slices up the meat, hands it out along with a swig of coconut milk, and in general gives you a delightful and unforgetable look at tropical fruit growing.

At the end you will get a huge free sample of the fruit--don't miss the taste of their freshly harvested honey dribbled along a slice of papaya. Then you can buy some fruit to bring back to the resort--practically free.

This is a great, utterly affordable glimpse into the abundance of this beautiful island.

Don't miss it.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Publico is the way to go
If you speak good spanish you will easily get one for 150 rd from Sosua to Playa Grande,I suggest you have the same driver pick you up at a specified time for return(saves you from being stuck there and paying an inflated return price)Do not,I repeat do not pay the driver before he picks you up for the return trip.Iused this method many times as i was working at the hotel there 3 years ago,at that time i would pay 100rd for a publico all to my lonesome(unless I saw some pretty girl to offer a bola to)have a good trip ypu will really enjoy the golf course:cool:

swake

Oct 27, 2002
If you don't mind sharing the publico you could go for as low as RD$20-30 but you have to know your way out.
Consider the rental agency across from the Texacostation in Sosua. They have a Chevy Swinger for RD$700, guaranteed RD$6000CDW.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
As I indicated my post, arranging with a Publico driver to take you is an alternative to a taxi, but you won't get to Playa Grande for RD$150 if the publico is serving as a taxi. Just going from Sosua to Cabarete, a short distance, potentially earns the publico driver RD$42. I believe you could get there in a publico which is serving as a taxi for less than the taxi charges, but it is unlikely to be a huge difference. Playa Grande is a long trip from Sosua.

Yes, you could go as passengers in a publico and save money, but I wouldn't recommend it. You would be crowded, take longer to get there, and have to change from a publico to a very crowded guagua before you arrived at Playa Grande.

Arranging with the publico driver to pick you up at a disignated time doesn't mean he will be there at the appointed time--unless he is paid to spend the day with you. Reason is that between when he drops you off and picks you up, he is likely to be running his normal route. That could very likely affect his ability to pick you up at an appointed time.

Renting a car is certainly an option, and the traffic isn't too bad between Sosua and Playa Grande. There will be less what you consder close calls going in that direction than would likely be the case going between Sosua and Puerto Plata.

If it were me, I would use a taxi or arrange with a publico driver to act as a taxi, either staying with you during the day, or rent a car. Taking one taxi to Playa Grande and another to Sosua will be more expensive because both drivers will need to make one leg of the long trip empty.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Ken Sorry but I beg to differ,i will not totally argue until tomorrow however as maybe it might cost 200rd each way,i will check tonight after work,I did ask one of my employees who lives and comutes from Rio San Juan however and he told me no problem to get one for 150,remember one thing theres a lot of publicos running half full for some of their trips any driver will be happy to have a guaranteed 3 to 4 hundred pesos and still work hes route between pickups.:bandit:

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Peso-pinching????

What's wrong with this discussion? Golf is the world's most expensive sport--our visitors are going to pay several hundred dollars for their lovely day of golf on the Pebble Beach of the Caribbean.

Why is there this discussion on shaving a few pesos off the cost of getting there?

Get a nice air-conditioned 9-passenger van, buy the driver a cold soda, get a few Presidentes and live a little!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Johnny, I don't doubt you can get a good price. But then you aren't two tourists with enough money to play golf at Playa Grande and who (I'm assuming) don't speak much Spanish and aren't accustomed to bargaining with Publico drivers.

My response was based on what I thought were reasonable expectations for them.

I think that Abe is right. If I could afford to include golf at Playa Grande in my trip itinerary, I'd also want to get there in a comfortable air conditioned van and know that the driver was standing by whenever I decided I was ready to leave. We've both had a lot of experience with "Dominican time".

As I always tell people who talk with me about coming to live in the DR, what you do and pay when you come for a visit is, in many cases, quite different than after you have lived here awhile and learned the ropes.:classic:

swake

Oct 27, 2002
OK. Go rent a chopper and land on the g'damn pitch. What's this board for anyway???

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
swake said:
OK. Go rent a chopper and land on the g'damn pitch. What's this board for anyway???

With a total of four posts under your belt, it is understandable that you have no idea what this board is for. It's primary reason for being is to provide a place for people with questions about or special interest in the Dominican Republic to get answers/information from people with considerable knowledge to share.

If you are impatient with a thread or think it has gone on too long, then don't click on that thread any longer. Read those threads in which you have more interest.

swake

Oct 27, 2002
From what level do I qualify? a 1000?

Look, her question was regarding the best way to get to PG from Sosua. Now if she's really the richie Abe is taking her for she can easily figure out renting a a/c car or a taxi would be the best option. If not I think other posters are doing a pretty good job looking into the possibility of hiring a publico.
Nothing wrong with this discussion basically if you don't mind me saying with now, hey, 5 posts under my belt.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If my GMC Sierra could guarantee me that it would start up when i want it too, i would say, Invite me and i will drive you there...
However, as i sit here all sweaty and triumphant after trying for three months I have finally got it running!!.

YOu might invite Bush Baby, and he would give you a ride and you could split the gass....

Green fees are about $80 US and a caddy is RD$300 for 18 holes plus a tip if you feel lijke it. Be sure to take lots of balls... You will lose around 6 in your first round.

have a wonderful time...

HB

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Have been hiring vans from POP to PG for the last 5 yrs. It's going to set you back about $70US. Nice thing about doing it this way is we get the driver from 6 or 7 in the morning till usually 9 at night, stopping wherever and whenever we get the urge. Check it out- Rio San Juan, Sabaneta,Cabarete, and as many roadside colmados as you can stand drinking at. Golf, sightseeing and booze, the PERFECT day!!! BTW, we usually will tip the driver $40 bucks for taking up so much of his time. They always seem to be pretty happy with that.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
RandyE said:
BTW, we usually will tip the driver $40 bucks for taking up so much of his time. They always seem to be pretty happy with that.

No wonder they love tourists, Randy E, they don't get that from the locals.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
$40 dollars??? Are you kidding? Do you know how much money that is to him?No offense but it is people like you who come to DR and throw money around like that ruin what is a good thing.They will expect that kind of money from everyone.That causes them to overcharge for everything...seeing us as huge wallets.Soon the day of good living cheaply in the DR will be in jeopardy due to this.You surely dont see the Germans in sosua throwing money around like that.They are smart..they know they have a good thing and they want to keep it that way.
Larry

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Talking about giving a taxi driver a $40 tip "for giving up so much of his time" indicates a lack of understanding of how things work in the DR. When you negotiate a price of $70 for a taxi to take you to and from Puerto Plata and Playa Grande, you are paying for the ride and the driver's time. At $70, he is not donating his time, he is being well paid for it. Had he stayed in Puerto Plata waiting all day for people who wanted a taxi to get from one place to another, he would not have earned that much money. He was well pleased to get $70 for the day. To say he "seemed pretty happy" to get a $40 tip is an understatement. He was estatic and no doubt rushed right back to brag to his buddies about the $40 tip given him by the rich gringos.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
it's like a double-edged sword?

observers and members of the RD tourism industry are both agreed that the country needs to attract a more affluent visitor, but residents, ex-pats in particular, are unwilling to accept the possibility of changes with the "lifestyles" to which they have been accustomed.

after all it was the "how things work" that brought them here in the first place.

mob

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Ken
Gee Wh.izz guys I didnt mean to create an uproar,Iwas under the impression these people were looking for the cheapest possible way to get to Playa Grande so I obliged.,not all tourists playing golf are well heeled contrary to popular belief,I have seen many unloading their clubs from Gua Guas and publicos over the years.
Swake
I think Ken was reacting to your obvious lack of tact in what was a serious discussion,theres a time and a place to be a smart ass,(see many other threads)however when someone is attempting to assist in answering a legitamit question that is NOT the time.
Randy
Unfortunatly when you tip like that it does not help anyone living here,but its your money,do you tip taxi drivers at home $40 too?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: