Relocating From Europe.. Travel & Work

Darrin Ward

Nov 29, 2002
www.fm-transmitter.com
Hello Dear Sirs & Madams

Please let me introduce myself.
My name is Darrin Ward and I live in Ireland (Europe). I am wanting to relocate to the Dominican Republic, however I need some advise from experienced people such as yourselves.

I am 20 years of age, speak fluent english (given that I am a native speaker), I speak very good spanish (I have lived in Madrid, Spain) & Tampa, Florida (Spanish is used there).

I have taught English as a foreign language in Madrid and would be interested in doing the same in the Dominican Republic.

I have heard from some sources that to work in the Dominican Republic, I must only get a contract from a local company, and there is not such difficulty as in the USA, can anyone firmly confirm this? Is this also true for Europeans?

Also, might someone suggest the best resource / website for searching for a job in Santo Domingo before I arrive, if this resource / website is in spanish, that would not be a problem.

Although teaching english is something I have done, I also am a very good website designer, I have studied electronics & computers in college, managed radio station installations etc.., so I'm more than just a pretty face :cool: - On that note, I have also done some modelling, would this be a thriving industry in the Dominican Republic?

Let me thank those in advance who can provide any help & clarification.

Regadrs...
Darrin Ward

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Is "Darrin" a boy or a girl?? We need girls here. The only Darrin I know is a low life in Boca Chica...

You can find plenty of jobs teaching English as a Second Language. You will work long hours but shuld be able to make ends barely meet. Stuff with computers will not e so good unless you are really out there. Lots of local competition...

HB

Darrin Ward

Nov 29, 2002
www.fm-transmitter.com
Ha ha

Darrin is a male name, first time I've been asked that!! :alien:

Sorry to hear the only other Darrin you know is a low-life. What would you see as the most "sure bet" for a foreigner of my status, ie. speaking english and good spanish. I mean I know perhaps this is not the best way to look at it, but if I think anything in the short term would be ok while I learn the culture and gain friends etc..

I don't suppose there are many irish on the island??

Darrin (Male!!)

ShoortyLov

Nov 15, 2002
Darrin, when are you moving to DR? I live in MASS in the US and I'm relocating myself and I'm actually finishing a Microsoft engineer masters certificate. I just got laid off from my job today, I'll have my position until end of this year, therefore I have to speed up my plans...which stink...But I do think there is a lot of pontential in succeeding my moving to DR...We can struggle together ;) lol

Darrin Ward

Nov 29, 2002
www.fm-transmitter.com
Hello Shoorty

What past of MA? I visit Boston frequently.

I'm planning my move towards the start of the new year, email me through this system and give me more information.

I know one guy in Santo Domingo who claims he will let me stay at his house, but I'd like to have a backup just in case, and 2 people would be easier than just poor old me!!

Darrin

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Isn't this a great site?? Darrin, me lad. There are few o' the Irish here, and we can use a couple. Especially on March 17th!!!. My best friend goes on the wagon during Lent and I can't raise a glass to the auld sod!! Santiago might be a nice place to try your hand!

HB