Border Tax

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
I know that the issue of travelling to Haiti has been covered in many other threads, however I do not remember the issue of border taxes being covered. Is there a tax to enter and to leave the country by the border? I know that as of November 2002, if you fly out of Haiti, there is a $100 US charge. This is crazy, and I was wondering what the border deal is.
Also do you need a visa to cross the border?

Thanks for any info.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I heard US$40 at the border as of Nov 1 for a visa.
Plus you need to pay customs US$5.

Yes, you need a visa to enter Haiti. Also you will get charged on the DR side for leaving and arriving.

Meredith

Jan 24, 2002
Robert...

How much is the charge on the Dominican side?

Also, if I fly into Haiti, will I have trouble crossing the border into the DR side to stay? As well, leaving the country from Santo Domingo, even though I flew into Haiti?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Haiti border (Dajabon) closes at 4-5pm, thats one thing to take into consideration. Crossing to the DR will be the same as entering the DR via the airport, US$10 tourist card.
I think the departure tax leaving Haiti is around US$5.

Have the Haiti prices changed since Nov 1, yes. How much by? Not sure, but it's not going to be cheap getting in and out of Haiti, they need every single US$ they can get. Plus it's not a country you want to get stuck in :)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
A few photos, if your on a dial-up it maight take a min or so to download the photos, sorry :(

Border crossing to Haiti at Dajabon
Haiti_3.jpg

Welcome to Haiti
Haiti_4.jpg

Filling out a ton of paper work to get a visa
Haiti_1.jpg

Negotiating my way out of Haiti
Haiti_5.jpg

Welcome to the DR
Haiti_2.jpg

Meredith

Jan 24, 2002
Thanks for all of the information and the pictures were very interesting to see the process that is taken to go to Haiti and to return. It will be helpful in my planning!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Robert, where was that last picture taken? It looks very Familar and I was wondering if that was where I crossed back into the DR.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I don't think US or Canadian citizens need a visa do they? Just a stamp at the border? Been a long time since I was there..

HB