Tourist card

VincenteDiana

Jan 10, 2002
I read on another board that some immigration officers in Punta Cana airport charge $10 US (tourist card) when arriving in DR, even if you've already paid for it in your package. I gather that if you present your tourist card, you have already paid for it. That also happened to my friend 2 years ago at Puerto Plata airport. It was his first visit and he didn't know so he paid it, thinking it was the departure tax that his travel had told hoim about. While talking to people on the beach, he learned that it was illegal on the part of the immigration officer. So when he left, he had to pay another 10$ for the departure tax. What can a person do if the officer requests 10$. What should I do if I'm asked to give $10 entering the country. Can I just say that I've already paid for it and that my tourist card is the proof? Some will say, what the hell, it's only $10 but for me, it the principle that matters. It's illegal and they know it. Please advise me.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Just hand them the passport and the tourist card

Filled in properly, and say nothing.

I am amazed anyone has spoken to anybody (gringo tourists, e.g. not Dominicans) on arrival - I go 6 or 7 times a year and they say absolutely nothing, just take the passport and do their swiping and typing and stamping and then of you go.

If they ask for $10 say you have already paid for it, e.g.:

"He pagado para mi tarjeta una vez, ya, gracias." (I have paid for my card once already).

Smile. The odds are slim this will occur, I think.

wendy hunter

Nov 19, 2002
tourist card/cellular phones

Hi Rick from Toronto...My name is wendy and I live in toronto. I would like you to contact me please re: cellular biz. I can be reached at wendyhunter@rogers.com...I look forward to your reply.thanks!!

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
its $10

Show them the tourist card you have already paid for. Don't pretend to know spanish, and if you do know how to speak spanish, just keep saying "Playo Dorado" over and over. The error in your trying to say "Playa Dorada", along with your already paid for tourist card, will let the guy know he is wasting his time. Play the mindless gringo card, works every time.

Then again, if you are worried about someone asking you for $10 when the cost is really $0, you are going to have a worry filled trip.

have fun!
marc