OS installation, and other other software!!

ajicaribe

Dec 5, 2002
OS installation, and other software!!

Dear All,

Generally speaking, I was wondering if someone knows, or have heard how computer users in the DR get software installed?
Meaning OS ( Windows base), and other Microsoft applications?

I know that normally a certified copy of XP is about $400.00 canadians ( US$239.00), but I also know that people have CD burners and you make copies ( not a practice I'd to promote).
As a Microsoft Professional I am interested in selling original copies, but recognize at the same time that it is not easly to drop 4, or 5 thousands of pesos for a cd when you get a copy around the corner, or someone can install it for them.?

I am looking into settling with an internet cafe, sell hardware at acceptable prices, teach people how to use the internet, and other applications ( MS Office Suite), install and configure software, hardware, and for those who can afford high end solutions.

Thanks in advanced for your comments.

AJ.

Last edited:

Jerry

Jan 1, 2002
www.livinginsantiago.com
When I was down there a couple years ago, I asked for some prices at a local computer store. They told me that Windows98, OEM, I am OEM certified. and they told me that it was about $100US and $200US Retail. Last time down I went past a a bigger software store in the Naco but never stopped in to check them out. I did not price MSOffice. But the prices were only about $5US more then here in NY at that time.

Jerry

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
I did a little looking around in April and found MS OS's and software to be readily available. My niece's husband (an engineer) had already installed XP Pro on their box several months before. He was forced to uninstall it however, because a certain proprietory CAD program wouldn't work with XP.

Hardware prices seemed to be a bit more expensive than in the US, though I looked in only a few places in San Francisco de Macor?s. Blank CD-R's were also more expensive. We've become accustomed to the 100 pack of blank CD's for $7.99 after rebate.

I also plan to take a couple of CD burners as gifts on my next trip down there. Best Buy had them on sale last week for $US 9.95 after rebate! :)

Swede

Last edited: