Going to the movies in DR?

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Since Christmas time is usually a good time to hit the movie houses in DR, I had a chance to visit the newest movie emporiums in Santo Domingo and for those who care, here is my personal rating for the latest in moviegoing in this city:

1)Catching your latest movie in Miami and New York or any major U.S. city is still your best bet. If you can, watch them there and avoid DR movie houses like the plague. In spite of heavy investments DR outfits like Caribbbean Cinemas, Palacio del Cine, etc. are way behind in movie technology. For instance comparing Coco Walks cinemas in Miami and Santo Domingos best is like comparing a Mercedes to a Honda Civic.

a)Diamond Mall: Movies are $100 pesos and not worth it. Your total personal expense could reach $200 with food and drinks. That is if you can find a parking space in parking defficient Diamond Mall. Four out of five times the lot is full. Dont waste your time going there. The screens are relatively small. Seats are very comfortable and A/C is nice. Not too cold.

b)Bella Vista Mall:The newest and most expensive. There is a $150 VIP movie seat which is not worth the trouble. Parking is fine since most people are still crazy enough to park in the streets and the medium on Sarasota Avenue. This is a marble floor mall with lots of stores and food. However, shockingly enough I went to see "The Ghost Ship" and after five minutes requested a refund and went home. The movie reels were either cheap copies made of one original or were damaged. There were streaks in all color in the screen. UNBELIEVABLE! They spent millions in a well designed movie house, yet they show copies of copies. I was dissapointed at the screens. They are half the size of Coco Walks panoramic screens. I will try one more time, since there are few options, but if they show another bootleg copy they will never see me again.

c)Acropolis: $100 movies. This place is so cold you need a fur coat and hat to withstand the windy air conditioned blowing on your head. I had a leather jacket, baseball cap and boots and was freezing. I could not enjoy "Die Another Day", a dissapointing James Bond movie with a stupid plot and equally asinine visual effects and stunts. I hated Madonnas theme song in this movie. I rather have Duran Duran or Shirley Bassey. I still think there is nobody like Sean Connery anyway. I have seen Dominican chicks in our barrios that look better than Halle Berry. She did not impressed me at all. And she was not Ursula Andress coming out of the beach! Avoid the Acropolis if you can. This is the only mall in the world that charges for parking and it becomes a huge traffic jam at the pay booth. Narrow parking spaces and lanes. Not worth all the hoopla. Better option is to go to Fridays Bar there and have a few drinks. Contrary to Fridays in the U.S., this bar is frequented by upper class people and has a chic atmosphere.

d)Plaza Central: If you like to have flying roaches land on your Coke come to the movies here. You may also watch the movie in the company of Mickey Mouse!! Except our rats are bigger. There is no air conditioning in the malls third floor. People even seat in the rugs up front. can you believe it? There are blackouts and sound problems sometimes. Screens are so small, your 29" Sony at home looks better.

In other words...buy a ticket to Miami and see your movies there.

TW

RedrumXIII

Jun 20, 2002
Too funny. I was impressed at the way going to the movies has changed since i was a child in RD. I was there last month and saw the megaplexes but didn't see anything worthwhile that was playing... Golo was the theatrical print of Die Another Day worn as much as Ghost Ship? Ghost Ship is now more than 3 months old... and another question... the prints shown in RD usually come from being shown elsewhere in Latin America, right?

Redrum

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I alway enjoy the Palacio Del Cine on Ave. Venzuela (that would be on the other side of the Puente Duarte). The movies are only $50 pesos, it's clean, and well worth a couple of bucks. Popcorn isn't too expensive either.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Could the arctic A/C temperatures in cinemas like Acropolis be linked to the fact that the shops there, as well as in other malls, stock what seems to be a full range of winter clothes? Or is it just that they don't do their homework and register that the DR is a tropical country?

I think the Diamond Mall Cinemas are OK, although I wish the staff there would be a bit more assertive with the brats with mobile phones and laser pointers.

Chirimoya

RedrumXIII

Jun 20, 2002
That would so **** me off. That used to happen in NYC but now it's all gone. Most cells don't even work within theaters anymore.. If only we could get New Yorkers to SHUT UP during a Hollywood film all would be much better. Still, the quietest theaters are Lincoln Plaza Cinemas (I have a better home theater than this cinema) MOMA (now relocated to the Gramercy on 23rd and Lex) and the Walter Reade within Lincoln Center.

Redrum

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
jeez Golo you seem to have a special relationship with Cocowalk. To me it is just another multiplex! I just saw "Talk to her"(Habla con ella) last friday there. The screen was too small and the sound was just average. BTW All the critics are gushing over that flic but I think it was overated. It wasn't Almodovar at his best.
My Fav Theater in the DR was the old Plaza Naco, before it burned up. I use to love sitting in the front row of the upper part. Nobody in front of you and plenty of room to stretch out. And it had big screens.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Chirimoya

You are absolutely right. Next time I stop over a shop called Mango and others I will ask why they sell fur coats and heavy wool clothes in DR.

Now dont think I have not seen a few jevitos wearing coats on Lincolon Avenue and some clubs. But fur???? In fact, one store display had nothing but winter clothing ready for a Chciago blizzard!!!

Better yet, those maniacs from the Harley Club wear heavy leather coats, beaver hats, leather gloves and heavy boots with 90 degree weather!!

TW

love da DR

Aug 1, 2002
well somethings never change.

Golo(-ito)

So good to see that even as we have ushered in a New Year you
are as critical as ever not to say that I would have expected anything less from you.

As for the particular Cinematic offerings of the RD I really can not comment as I have yet to visit one. I do on the other hand take(EXCEPTION) with you for not properly paying tribute to Halle Berry, you see Golo(-ito) you miss the point that see is the first African American female to co-star in a James Bond movie that alone should require our praise of her accomplishments.
However I must admit some of the Barrio Mamis in the RD are even better looking than your (so called desireable-Dominican women from the Apex of society) I think you get my point!
As for the best Bond it's Roger Moore of course.

Golo(ito) we have another year to look forward to hearing your (unique) views about humanity.

Also even though it is now 2003 you have not matured enough in your thoughts so you will retain the tiltle of (Golo-ito)

Isaac,:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
So renting videos is the way yo go! But they'er expensive too. And the closest I found to my home to rent is on Pastuer. Have to take a public car to get there. The 3 movies I rented were not in very good shape either. I was afraid they were going to "gunk" up my machine

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If you are in Santo Domingo, check out my personal favorite movie house -- the Issfapol. I am kinda claustrophobic so this place is my kind of old fashioned theater. Located in back of the Supermercado Nacional of the Avenida Nu?ez de Caceres. Last time I went paid RD$50. Air conditioner worked, was clean and with the exception of a few seats in bad conditions, for the most part is in good shape and big. Why so cheap if in an upscale part of town? It is owned by the Armed Forces cooperative who are so kind to let us non-armed forces people to also enjoy it. Pop corn is also affordable there. They don't promote it because they don't need the business as they are subsidized by the armed forces.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
golo said:

d)Plaza Central: If you like to have flying roaches land on your Coke ...

Flying cockroaches....ahhh...the memories...the young slim, coffee colored flying roaches....the fat, wide dark brown ones...the "crunch"..."squish"... sound they made when I stepped on them....hmmm....now I know why I haven't returned to live in the DR.

Oh...yes..of course...the nightmare inducing trauma of having one land on your head.

Petaka

Nov 8, 2002
Oh yea, roach memories.

Outside club right around Guibia in the Malecon. The place was covered by a big cana roof, a combo playing merengue music.

All of a sudden a swarm of flying roaches zooming by your ears and all you could do was lower or head and cover your drink.
Ah, the magic of the tropics.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Issac and Dolores

Issac: It has nothing to do with black bitches. If you want to know, I liked Grace Jones better in one of the old Bond movies, where she was a bad girl. She is not as beautiful as Halle, but I found her to be more exciting. And she could sing too.

Frankly, I would rather go for Naomi Campbell as the next Bond girl if she has to be black. better yet, the blond dyed singer from Destiny's Child who has that new video called Bonnie and Clyde, or maybe Ashanti. So you see Issac, I like black girls too. Do you want to check out my six-foot black girlfriend with a Jennifer Lopez-like ass? I'll send you a picture.

Hey, there's one J-lo could make Halle look like Twiggy.

Dolores, I never knew El Millon or whatever neighborhood ISSFAPOL is located was an upscale neighborhood. I thought that was Dominican-York territory. As I see it, that area is full of colmadones and guys wearing gold chains. Then Nu?ez De Caceres Avenue is our future Avenida Duarte. Granted, the place looks very safe with that big fence.

For movie historians, there was a movie house on Duarte Street called the Coliseo Brugal where movie goers used to **** right on the seats. They used to throw spit balls and chewing gum from the balcony to the first floor and you could catch rats as big as wildcats with your bare hands and throw them down flying. The tickets were $0.10 cents.

I also saw a movie house near Leopoldo Navarro St. where a guy set up a flat screen large TV and shows movies for $5 pesos. You got to bring your own chair or stool.

TW

TW

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I, yes, I went to a movie last week. Saw Gangs of New York at MUVICO 24 near Ft. Lauderdale. Outstanding place, although I don't know how it would rank in any place in the world, since this is the first movie I have seen in.....15 or 20 years???
thaought the movie itself was Oscar worthy in several areas...very violent, but there will be at least one acting Oscar...

Maybe AZB can opine of movie houses in Santiago, have never been to the existing ones....damn, I'm getting old.

HB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ever since I got my DirectV, I don't have any desire to go to the movies. I have my direct TV connected with my stereo to get true movie theatre sound.
Here is my take on the movie houses in santiago: There are only 2 locations.
Plaza internacional has 6 halls, maybe 2 big ones and the rest, regular sized. Movies are first run in DR and place is really nice if you are going to take a date there.
Bad points: too damn cold inside as they blast their air-conditions straight on you. However, this is really not all that bad as the girl might curl up to you to get some warmth.
Parking is a nightmare during movie times. Entrance = 80 pesos / person (might have gone up this year) and popcorn and chocolate / coke will set you back another 150 pesos. Bring extra money because the food court is right there on the same floor and she might ask for pizza or some other fast food before entering.
2nd movie theater is Hollywood: It?s was a run down place which had almost gone out of business when the new plaza internacional opened up. It seems the owners are the same and they have given a facial uplift to fading movie house. In my opinion, Hollywood is a better deal if you are on a tight budget.
Good points:
Movies are almost the same as the plaza internacional?s but at half the cost, 40 pesos / person. Mon-wed, prices fall to 25 pesos / person. Prices for popcorn and coke may also be cheaper. Not extremely cold inside and when the lights turn down, its all the same.
Bad points: parking is plenty but you might have to walk up dark staircases to get up there. No guard to watch your car except limpiabota type kids promise to keep and eye on your vehicle while you worry about it inside. Place is not so elegant enough to take a new date there. Sound is sometimes not of high standards as the movie print maybe picked up from the director's cutting floor. Some times the mic is apparent in the movie print. I mean you can see the glimpses of microphone on top of the actors' heads.
The only reason I go there because I don't freeze to death, the prices are a bargain and if I see a movie is a 3rd rate print, I can walk out and go right into another hall to catch another flick without have to hassle with the movie usher.

Just fixed my error. Sorry.

Last edited:

OwnRules

Dec 26, 2002
twitter.com
Count me amongst those that brought the movies home. Bought my first big screen over ten years ago, and have been convinced ever since that Home Theaters are one of the best investments you can make. Even if I factor in the numerous upgrades in that time span, it still beats the heck of the money I would have spent on "dinner and a movie" outings.

As for the movie houses here, I've been to Bella Vista a couple of times -- it's OK, and I actually liked the frigid AC, but the quality of the actual films left a lot to be required. Scratchy, as if they were old copies.

I'll stick to DVD and DirectTV, thank you very much.