Advice for first trippers

jcrian

Jan 9, 2003
We are going to Villa Dorada in two weeks time which will be our first trip to DR.Any advice on trips or any information about the resort would be most appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:

jcrian

Jan 9, 2003
Thanks for all the advice.I have checked out the websites you have recommended.
Now for a really dumb question! What is the rough price of cigarettes in the DR.We have made the mistake many times of buying duty free at the airport and then finding them cheaper at our destination.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Cough, cough, cough!! Hack , hack, hack!!

Butts are roughly RD$24 pesos (US$1.20) a pack for Marlbor--cough cough, spit hack-os. Slightly lower for local brands-Nacional etc. Menthol candy sticks available...

Outstanding cigars are about RD$1,200 a box of 25 at Supermercado Nacional...A lot of major names.

HB, non-cigarette smoker for 35 1/2 years!!!

jcrian

Jan 9, 2003
Well done Hillybilly - 35.5 years. Hope that includes cigars as well!!
Thanks for the information. The duty free at Gatwick are much more than that so we'll buy our 'smokes' in DR.:cool:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Nope cigars are a must!. But only three or four a week when at the factory. Nowadays, two a week, top production period, three for four lighted a day, but not finished. No inhaling allowed.

HB You are welcome...

nycguy7077

Oct 13, 2002
RE: Ciggarettes
Buy your cigarrettes at the duty free when you land. That is what I do. I smoke Newports which is a popular New York City brand. Thanks to Mayor Bloomberg, a carton of Newports in NYC is 75 dollars a carton! I get my ciggs from the Native American reservations in upstate NY for 32 dollars a carton, delivery included. A better bargain.
I have been to the DR every month for the past several months, north AND south coasts. A carton of Newports in a big colmado is 600 pesos, which is about 28 dollars, and believe me, I checked many stores in Puerta Plata, Cabarete, Santo Domingo. The airport duty free sells them for 16 dollars a carton, which is like 340 pesos. You will NOT find cheaper then that. I cant comment on local Dominican ciggs or exotic European ciggs. All I know is my friends in NYC beg me to bring Newports back from the duty free in DR airports.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
LIDERS(all I smoke now used to smoke camels)150 pesos /200 cigs,marlboro 200 pesos kents 200 pesos divide that by 21 pesos to the$and figure out whats the best deal for dying.
J.H.
Oh YEAH 2 CIGARS A DAY WISH I had the willpower like you Hillbilly:bandit:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Jpohnny, was that last sentence poorly punctuated? Should it have read: Oh yea, two cigars a day. (Plus the cigarettes??). Wish i had etcetc...?
Do you smoke cigars??

HB

MJCram

Dec 7, 2002
Hey HB. Are you talking Fuentes, Dominican Monte's or Davidoff's at that RD $1,200 fugure and are they the real thing ? How would I get to this Supermercado Nacional from Cofressi ?

Thanks,
MJC

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hey Jcrian, where you coming from in UK? True Brit from many parts of the UK that has lived here for the last 10 years. If you want a meet up at the hotel (I live just 5 minutes away from Playa Dorada), for a bit of info passing, just let me know!! Coming from England, where pipe tobacco is so much more expensive than even here, you don't even have to bring me my normal 'fix' requirements!!! E-mail me for 'phone number before leaving or look me up in the book when you get here. - Grahame.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Hillbilly said:
Jpohnny, was that last sentence poorly punctuated? Should it have read: Oh yea, two cigars a day. (Plus the cigarettes??). Wish i had etcetc...?
Do you smoke cigars?
Unfortunatly yes(cigarettes are the unfortunate part)nothing tastes better tha a good cigar accompanied by a snifter of cognac or brandy at the end of a long day,couldnt keep sane any other way.

HB
:cool:
Johnny

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
MJCram said:
Hey HB. Are you talking Fuentes, Dominican Monte's or Davidoff's at that RD $1,200 fugure and are they the real thing ? How would I get to this Supermercado Nacional from Cofressi ?

Thanks,
MJC
[/QUOTE
Yeah right!!!!!!!
Ill take a few cases of the Davidoffs and Fuentes for us 60 a boxDream on Laddie
J.H.

MJCram

Dec 7, 2002
OK then.If none of the above mentioned brands are available locally in that price range, which brand(s) of sticks are available in that range. Also what would one expect to pay in the DR for a box of legit Fuentes, Monte's etc....

MJC

greenhornet

Aug 29, 2004
not who u expect

BushBaby said:
Hey Jcrian, where you coming from in UK? True Brit from many parts of the UK that has lived here for the last 10 years. If you want a meet up at the hotel (I live just 5 minutes away from Playa Dorada), for a bit of info passing, just let me know!! Coming from England, where pipe tobacco is so much more expensive than even here, you don't even have to bring me my normal 'fix' requirements!!! E-mail me for 'phone number before leaving or look me up in the book when you get here. - Grahame.
I am going to be traveling to puerta plata and then la romana in jan,2005 and need any help you can offer. I will be traveling with my wife and two other couples and am having difficulty finding a way from pop to lrm. would you recommend flying into sdq and then going by land(rental car, hire a van, or bus service) to pop. We then need to get to La Romana one week later. We are coming from baltimore and need the help of an insider to plot aou course. No plane tickets have been purchased as of yet so we are flexable as to the city we fly into( pop, lrm, sdq). Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
greenhornet said:
I am going to be traveling to puerta plata and then la romana in jan,2005 and need any help you can offer. I will be traveling with my wife and two other couples and am having difficulty finding a way from pop to lrm. would you recommend flying into sdq and then going by land(rental car, hire a van, or bus service) to pop. We then need to get to La Romana one week later. We are coming from baltimore and need the help of an insider to plot aou course. No plane tickets have been purchased as of yet so we are flexable as to the city we fly into( pop, lrm, sdq). Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Hi there, Welcome to DR1

You seem to have tagged on to a thread which is over 1 and a half years old, if you start this question off in a new thread you will get far more responses as people won't see it hidden in this one.

BTW, if you need to be in POP for your first week - fly to POP first not SDQ, or am i missing something here. Anyway i am sure you will get plenty of responses if you start off a new thread!

Enjoy your trip