Somewhere to stay while familiarizing myself in the Dr

Curt

Jan 14, 2003
I am from Western Canada and I'm seroisly considreing moving myself and my small bussiness to the Dominican Republic.
In March I am hoping to come down to the DR and do a little hands on searching for a residence and a place to start my business. If my search is lucrative I will then follow up by moving my wife and my son or daughter down with me. (Babies due in May/June.) So obviously I have a ton of questions. But I will only burden this forum with a few for starters.

- Is there anywhere in the DR that I might go and possibly stay where I can find people and information that will help with the search? My Spanish is very limited, however I did learn some of the more common phrases and words when I was there for two weeks last April.

- Is there room in Dr's economy for recreational activites for the general public?

-Out of the 3.5 Million people living in Santo Domingo what would be a rough estimate of people that could afford to spend about 1500 to 3000 peso's once a month for recreation.

- And a little off topic but very important to me. In your opinions would it be wise to bring new born child to the Dominican Republic?

Thanx for any help. :) Curt

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Last to be first: We raise a lot of kids here. I have had 4 and 4 grandkids raised here....Normal, strict hygiene is necessary, of course. However, all the medicines, milk formulas and stuff are here and Dominican love babies.
What kind of recreation are we talking about? Bowling? We need alleys in Santiago so we can kick Santo Domingo's butts...
Regionalist? yeah, so what?
I would suggest Santo Domingo or Santiago, since they are the larger population centers with more free money to enjoy recreation.
But, without knowing what it is you are planning on doing, anything beyond that is pure guess work.
Get a good lawyer-Like Fabio on these boards, and find out..

HB

Curt

Jan 14, 2003
Thanx Hillbilly, And I'll have to say that I really enjoyed the North too. I didn't make all the way down to Santiago but, Peurto Plata, Sosua and Playa Dorada were excellent.
Thanx Again, Curt

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
You may want to clarify what you mean

Curt said:

- Is there room in Dr's economy for recreational activites for the general public?

-Out of the 3.5 Million people living in Santo Domingo what would be a rough estimate of people that could afford to spend about 1500 to 3000 peso's once a month for recreation.

1. Work on your Spanish a lot and fast. If you are selling into that market you cannot get by with a phrasebook.

2. You may want to be more specific as to recreational activities in the DR for the general public - so the members here have at least 1/8th a clue what you are getting at.

3. The minimum wage is around 3,900 RD$ a month. So how many Western Canadians can afford say $2,000 - 3,500 CDN$ a month for "recreation"?

More or less, zero.

Curt

Jan 14, 2003
For starter's please allow me to apologize. I've been at this computer all day trying to find as much information as I possibly can. When I got typing I just did some quick, very rough math in my head and I apparently just wasn't thinking. Sorry. What those numbers are really suppose to be is 150 to 300 peso's. I seem to have added an extra decimal place in my haste. Thank you for pointing that out to me ricktoronto.

Correction to be noted. *150 - 300 peso's a month*

Thanx, Curt

Curt

Jan 14, 2003
*Laughing*, That's it, I'm sold. I'll be down there by the end of the week. Nothing like a little Brugal. :)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Say What You Mean

Curt said:
What those numbers are really suppose to be is 150 to 300 peso's. I seem to have added an extra decimal place in my haste. Thank you for pointing that out to me ricktoronto.

Great now tell us what they are to spend 10-15% of all their pay on as a recreational activity so we have 2/8th of a clue now. As Johnny Honda points out drinking rum maybe, I'd say bowling, no.

Curt

Jan 14, 2003
Nope not bowling, and at this time (no offense) I'd just rather not get into to many details until I have a better understanding of some of the other factors I am currently pursuing. I do appreciate the advice and comments though, so please keep them comming.

Thanx, Curt

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You are wise to play it close to your vest.
What's wrong with bowling? It has taken off in Santo Domingo, and the Sebelen family is raking it in...

Try and make it tio Santiago, you might be surprised, pleasantly,

HB

Curt

Jan 14, 2003
*laughing* That is what I've been hearing. But honestly if you knew how bad of a bowler I am I think you'd change your mind about me running one pretty quick. *still laughing*
On more of a serious note, I'm not just trying to move to the DR to try and get rich. I have a dream and that dream has a focus.
It's not about palm tree's and coconuts or even money, it's about doing what I love and loving what I do.
So once again I will leave this forum for the topic at the top of it, and hopefully I will be able to get more advice, till then thank you all for your contrbutions so far and maybe I'll see ya all at the alley. ;)
Thanx, Curt

Curt

Jan 14, 2003
Oh and by the way; how much does it cost for one person to go bowling?
Shoe renatl's, Lane rental's, a few drinks maybe?
Bowling league membership, etc.?
If some one could anwer these questions for me it might give me an answer to one of my first questions.

Thanx again, Curt

Curt

Jan 14, 2003
And if you must know I was thinking of opening an outdoor skating rink. ;) I'm from Canada Eh! *Laughing*

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can only do that when our current government learns how to handle money: ie., When hell freezes over!!

HB *laughing* too.....