looking for the light at the end....

Outoftowner

Jan 15, 2003
I just stumbled apone your site a couple of days ago and have been engrosed ever since. I am looking to relocate to the DR from the states. I have to say I am having a hard time finding anything positive about living there and opperating a business there. There is an enourmous amount of great info here but it seems as though about 80% is negative.
Please someone shine some light, is it possible for an out of towner like myself to come to the DR, own a business and actually have a decent life????
It almost seems as though people are being destracted from coming to the island and I am not sure why.......

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
A bit more constructive you say? How about a bit more information first. What sort of business, what sort of language skills do you have, what sort of financing do you have or are you looking for loans there, and just about any other useful info you can provide.

If no more info is forthcoming, go back to Kansas Toto.

Outoftowner

Jan 15, 2003
Wow, that was a bit harsh don't you think? It doesn't really matter what type of business I preform if it sucks to live there. My language skills are developing but as of now I am not quite converstaional in spanish. My financing will most likely be coming from the states for several reasons. I will be operating a tourist related business through one of the resorts that involves getting people out on the water and giving them an experience they haven't seen yet. I know that sounds vague but that is all I am prepaired to divulge at this point.
I guess I just want to hear some more positive things about the island, I'm not looking for a fairy tail just a silver lining.
And Jazz, if you are a loud fat ugly American why is your resonce so shrewd to a fellow American?
Don't worry, I'll talk any input good or bad, I just want to hear some success stories out of this place.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The people of the board play the devil's advocate. They tell you all the worst scenarios you can find. Reality... a lot of foreigners have made it here and done well.
Best advice is for you to come down and talk to others who have preceded you. With a few exceptions most of the water businesses related to resorts are owned by foreigners. Many came as tourists, liked it and returned to offer a different or improved service.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
don't be detered

There does seem to be a fair share of negativity, but in my life some of the best opportunities I have found are when the majority is saying no. I have been to the Cabarete/Sosua area many time over the past 5 years and have met many happy expats doing just fine. You just need to spend some time there to identify what might work for you. (working for somebody else probably won't work). Give it a go and good luck.

Outoftowner

Jan 15, 2003
Thanks Dolores,
You wouldn't happen to have anyone you could suggest that I could meet up with when I am in town next week. I just want to be able to pick someones brain who has gone through what I am going to be. I understand if you can't and would appriciate anything.

Outoftowner

Jan 15, 2003
Thanks Tom,
You are absolutly correct, if it was easy and there were no obsticles everyone would be there, I know there is potential to make the island a better place to live and the potential to give back and help the local community strive and become more proud.
Don't worry, it's going to take a bit more than this site to make me change my mind.
I do have to say I really enjoy the varying responces though, please keep it up.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
OutofTowner, if it was so terrible here, then those of us expats who post on this board probably wouldn't be here.

And, yes, there is negativism, but much of it for a good reason. If you read enough posts from first timers who are full of big plans for things they are going to do in the DR, without spending the time to thoroughly research their ideas before deciding the DR is where they want to be, it tends to make you adopt a negative tone in order wake the dreamer up.

If you are seriously considering relocating to the DR, then don't depend on this board to convince you it is the right thing to do. Read the archives, all the negatives, then come down here and spend the time to really research. Talk with people in business. Ask them what their problems are. Don't even think you are looking to relocate to the DR until you do that. You have to spend the time here talking with people; there is no substitute. And I am not talking about a week vacation trip.

Camden Tom said he has been coming here many times over the past 5 years. He is getting involved, now, but slowly and carefully. He has paid his dues, decided how much he wants to risk, and is moving in the direction he decided on. But it has been a long process for him to get there.

So come down, spend the time. You may decide you have a future here; you may decide this isn't the place for you.

There are foreigners in this country doing very well in business. Most of them are too busy to post but occasionally, if ever, on this board. There are more foreigners who left this country in defeat. They don't post, either.

Outoftowner

Jan 15, 2003
Thanks Ken I definately hear where you are coming from. The problem I am having is the same as most, it is a bit of a catch 22.
To spend the time down there I have to make some type of commitment and relieve myself of my responsibilities here. Either way it is a big roll of the dice, but I guess we never get anywhere in life without taking some kind of risk. I guess I was under the impression also that talking on this site was also like talking to the local? I would like the opportuntiy to meet up with some of you at some point when I am there.
Thanks again Ken

Ps. I have been reading through these pages for the last several days and that is why I have gotten a little discouraged.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you jump in without really testing the water, keep in mind that the "pond" you are in is completely different than what you ara accustomed to. Burning your bridges in one location in the US and setting up shop in another location is one thing; going to a foreign country where the people speak a language you are probably not fluent in, where the laws are very different than those you have been working under, where corruption is much more widespread than you have probably ever experienced, where power outages are common and long, where electricity prices climb without reason, where who knows how much the currency will be a year from now.

I am not trying to be negative. You have to make your own decision, and you will. But I cannot in good conscience tell you to come on down, the water is fine. I have lived here 16 years. I have seen people come with hopes and dreams and who managed to make a success of it. I have seen many others who left with a broken heart.

You have been talking with local people on this site. I think you thought you would be talking with people who would encourage you to come and set up a business. I don't think even those who have made a success would do that, because they know how tough it was for them to get where they are. They are too responsible to tell you that you will have no trouble, and that there is a low chance of failure.

The good thing is that you are talking about setting up a business that deals with tourists. This could be much easier to accomplish than going into other fields. But even there it is essential you come down and make contact with those in a position to send business your way to see what the chances of their doing so are. You should also talk with people in related businesses to see what their problems are.

One final thought re negativism. You will not find that in the posts regarding anything related to coming for a visit. This is a great country to vacation in. The "negativism", others would call it "realism" is only in response to people who have little if any experience in the DR who have someone gotten it in their head they want to set up a business in the DR.

Last edited:

Outoftowner

Jan 15, 2003
Thank you again Ken, I hear exactly what you are saying and appriciate every word of it. I am planning on getting down there and putting faces to names and voices and definitely getting my feet wet. From what I have researched and the feed back I have been givin I definitely believe there is a need for my type of service. I don't plan on this being easy, but hopefully that just means the rewards are greater. I have some friends that live in Casa de Campo and they are the source of most of my info, but I can't tell you how invaluable all this information has been.
Thanks again and please keep them coming.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Outoftowner

DR always welcomes adventurers. Dominican people are very friendly and likewise our tourists. That makes for a nice business climate. However, those of us who live here and have paid our dues live in the real world and we post about it.

Do you get upset if we tell you to watch for "partners", be it Dominicans or ex-pats? More often than not, investors get taken by Dominican and ex-pat associates. Fraud is our biggest small business in DR. They call it "abuse of confidence" here.

Do you get upset if we tell you to watch for hiring Dominican employees, who are extremely well protected by our Labor Department and most always win labor disputes in court?

Will you get upset if we tell you that the most criminally oriented elements in our society are always lurking in areas where tourists are for a very obvious reason: dollars, prostitution, drugs, pickpocketing, and easy money. You will receive a red carpet welcome from lots of con-men, because they know you come with money to invest and future income.

Will you get upset if we tell you that you are going to have to bribe a lot of people lots of times to get started because nothing is free here. Government fees alone won't get you your permits. You have to pay some kind of "buscon" sometime to get things done.

As stated before many investors who do not do their research well and do not listen to negative information are back in their countries broke. There are also close to 500 foreigners in our jails for committing criminal acts, mostly involving drugs, money fraud, and other white collar crimes. That, in comparison to the total population of 17,000 prisoners in DR is quite high. Remember, we are over 9,000,000 Dominicans and only about 40,000 are registered as non-Haitian aliens in DR.

TW

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
How to leave the Dominican Republic with 1 million US$

Arrive with 5 million ,invest with partners and leave wiyhin a month you will have 1 million left.Seriously if you cant take time to investigate while living here(not visiting for a week)just send me your cash and tell me how long you want me to keep it before I advise you you are bankrupt.
J.H
Realist:bandit:

Outoftowner

Jan 15, 2003
Thanks Golo for all your input and "NO" I won't get upset and I never said I was, I was mearly expressing what I felt after reading the many boards. As I have said I am planning on spending time down there and commiting myself to the area for as long as it takes before I become fully opperational.
As to you JH I don't believe you read all that was said on this board because if you did you would see that I am just looking for some help and some feedback on the pros and cons. I gather my wording was done in such a way that you think I am some morron that is going to come down there with "5 million" and **** it away. As I have said before I do plan on coming down for a long time and getting my own answers and I appriciate anything I get back on this site, but in the future if you are going to help try to make it a little bit constructive. Oh, and off this, you say you are a motorcycle manic, what type of bike(s) to you have? I would love to find someone down there to go riding with.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While there is a lot of truth in what Golo is saying, your own good business sense should carry you through. If you are going to work with a hotel, you can let them worry about permits and the local bigwigs. I really do not like to think that bribes are the way to go, because they become a habit...

HB

mariposa34

Jan 16, 2003
agree with hillbilly

I agree
Golo seems to have the attitude that you have to have a lot of money, be rude to everyone, and distrust everyone in order to live a decent life in the DR.
What kind of life is that?
Golo......tell me again why you live in the DR? I've read alot of posts and haven't seen any good comments from you about it.
Why live somewhere that you hate?
I'm not trying to be rude, just wondering!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Outoftowner said:
Ps. I have been reading through these pages for the last several days and that is why I have gotten a little discouraged.

I believe you have gotten a good education and you are not a dope if that is how you feel.

The business climate in the DR is not an easy one for a gringo that expects things to run in a businesslike manner. It is full of cons either by your fellow expats, Dominicans, Police, Government and maybe anyone I have left out. I wouldn't do anything there other than to invest money and live off interest based on a few years of going there just about every month and networking with many people there in every part of the country. I had 15 people for thanksgiving and most of them live in country.

Your education here is complete. Be sceptical, don't believe a word you hear and only half of what you see. There is a phrase in Latin that translates to "Let the buyer beware" and this is expecially helpful in the DR.

Now just thank everyone that has given you a part of your education about the DR and adjust your thoughts and figure it out. You have a great headstart now.

Regards,
Scott

Outoftowner

Jan 15, 2003
Thank you HB, Mariposa, and Scott. Scott I have to say I find it interesting how everone here is saying to form an opinion of the DR I have to live there and you are giving me all these opinions and you don't even live there? I do appriciate what I have received here and will use what I can. I will also the bigger person and assume that you were not mocking me and just say thank you.
I have to say this forum is a great tool and I am very thankfull that I stumbled apone it.
I honestly hope that I will have the opportunity to meet up with some of you at some point. Oh, and HB I am definately hopeing that I will be able to come under the umbrella or the resort I am operating out of.
Thanks again all thoughts are appricicated