Are Dominican Cigars cheaper in the DR ?

MJCram

Dec 7, 2002
Than say at an on-line retailer like JR's Cigars ? I bought a box of Faux Cohibas at Captain Cooks in Punta Cana a few years back that while not nearly as good as the real thing was surprisingly smokable. I can't seem to recall how the legit Dominicans were priced in comparison to the States. Any ideas ?

Thanks,
MJC

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I Buy Them in the DR

Either Leon Jimines #4's for around RD$1700 a box if I recall or La Flor Dominicana Series 2000 #7 for about RD$1,300. So the latter are less than $70 US a box of 24. I am not sure they are $3 each online. This is in Cigar Palace in Boca Chica - the cigars in Supermercado Nacional in the capital and other locations are very good and quite low priced.

I live in Toronto and the Leon Jimines are over $10 US each in the stores here.

Buying fake beach Cohibas, etc. is for tourists, made from waste tobacco in the factories and in fact the box costs the touts more than the cigars.

MJCram

Dec 7, 2002
You should check out a place like JR's or www.cigarking.com. Cigar King has the Leon Jimines #4's at $62.95 a box. I don't know if being in Canada affects weather you can purchase them or not.

$10 bucks a stick seems like robbery to me. I noticed last time I was in Montreal the prices of Dominicans were much higher than what we payed in the States for the same cigars. That was OK since we weren't going to buy anything but Habanos while north of the border.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Yeah it affects me

MJCram said:
You should check out a place like JR's or www.cigarking.com. Cigar King has the Leon Jimines #4's at $62.95 a box. I don't know if being in Canada affects weather you can purchase them or not.

$10 bucks a stick seems like robbery to me. I noticed last time I was in Montreal the prices of Dominicans were much higher than what we payed in the States for the same cigars. That was OK since we weren't going to buy anything but Habanos while north of the border.

1. You can't unless you pay the duty and excise and taxes and then why bother.

2. There is a very high likelyhood that habanos you buy in Canada are counterfeit, a problem they are trying to deal with and at the most legitimate stores you see the effect of the actual prices on actual Havana product, like Montecristo #4's for $16 CDN$ each.

MJCram

Dec 7, 2002
Yeah. I figured there must be some law against purchasing from an on-line dealer that would make it not worth it.

I've purchased before at Casa Del Habanos and Davidiff's, both in Montreal. I can remember paying about $90 Cd for a 4 stick asst of Punch, Monte's, HdM and Ramon Allones. Both places are licensed and credible distributors.

Driving back toward the border, we passed several small gift shops advertising "Cuban Cigars" that I have no doubt were phony.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
DR cigars. If you come to Santiago you can get some cigars at factory prices, and there are a lot of factories...

The advice you got about Supermercado Nacional is accurate.

The crap that is sold on the beach is not worth the lighter fluid to light them...

There is supposed to be a place near Higuey that is solid and has an excellent selection. It is run by one of the family that makes Davidoffs and Avos....

Do not expect to find Fuente product here at anything like a fair price...(a) it is legit and costs 3X NYC prices or (b) it is fake.

If in La Romana, you can visit the Tabacalera Garcia...Outstanding place.

HB