Residents

vpmiami

Jan 19, 2003
Hello,

My husband will be moving to D.R. in a month...

He was born in the USA, but his parents were born in the Dominican Republic. His father is deceased and his mother has lived in the USA for years. His has plenty of family in the Dominica Republic.

I understand he should file in is South Florida for his Residency at the Dominican Consulate.

Does anyone know how long this will take to process? How much is the filing?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I don't know if the fact that his parents makes any difference, but assuming that he will be treated as any other American citizen that applies for residency, your husband would be advised to wait to make application until he gets to the Dominican Republic. Fabio Guzman, the attorney who answers questions posted in the Legal section, recently responded as follows to a question about where to begin the residency process.

"Obtaining a residency is faster and easier if done from within the D.R. You could start the process from abroad through the nearest Dominican Consulate but I would never recommend it. I have seen too many cases of dishonest consular officers just taking the money and not doing anything with the file. Also, even if you start the process abroad you'll need to come down to the DR twice, first for the medical tests and second to receive the residency card."

vpmiami

Jan 19, 2003
Thanks for the informaton.. my husband will be in D.R. this week. Do you know the name/address/phone number of the place he should go to do this?

By the way, thank you for all you quick responses.. they have bee helpful.