Does the DR import Import food products?

mikramjafri

Nov 25, 2002
Since,this is the business page someone might be knowing.Does the DR self produce important foods like rice and grain or does it import them from abroad.Is there a market to import such food to DR.
thanks

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Such food if you are referring to rice, is a matter of (practically) national security. Right now we have too much of it and when we need to import there are a few fat cats that already have seniority... don't even think about it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And you might add that the DR never imports from the Far East. We have sent away boatloads of rice from Bangladesh, India and Pakistan, due to certain nasty little bugs they carry or that are endimic in that area.

The DR is now selfsufficient in rice production and a net exporter of many other areas such as the tubers yuca (yucca, manioc or whatever), ?ame, Yaut?a, and batatas.

About time....

HB

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Nice of you to bring this up

Which came first, the chicken or the egg. If the Dominican Republic is self sufficient in rice and it is exporting supposedly to Venezuela, how come there is so much rice smuggling from Haiti?

If smuggling is happening, and has been confirmed, and we are producing so much rice, how come rice has not gone down in price?

Why was the government burning rice fields in nagua and other parts of the country? Was it perhaps to protect smugglers? Or to protect friends of Hippo who have rice holdings?

If there is so much rice, are the producers making any money? Isnt overproduction compatible with low prices?

Well. Anybody who tries to get into the rice business in this country better think twice. You might be safer growing certain prohibited grasses. Your life or your land will burn.

TW

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Re: Nice of you to bring this up

golo said:
If smuggling is happening, and has been confirmed, and we are producing so much rice, how come rice has not gone down in price? Well. Anybody who tries to get into the rice business in this country better think twice. You might be safer growing certain prohibited grasses. Your life or your land will burn.

TW

Apparently mikramjafri has abandoned the idea of studying medicine in the DR as his previous posts suggested. But I doubt that the food import/export business is the ticket to financial success in the DR; especially for the inexperienced.

Sounds as if someone is really stacking up $$ in the DR rice business. Low wholesale and high retail prices sounds like a real profitable enterprise for someone. Hmmm. . . ;)

Though we are experiencing the same thing here in the US with pork prices. Farmers are paid $ 0.30 per pound for live hogs while pork chops still cost $2-3 per pound!

Swede

mikramjafri

Nov 25, 2002
No,Just wondering.Dad owns Firm INFINTL.Works all around the world.Looking for new markets.Already exporting Cotton and related items+ Leather,carpets and fruits to Europe.Foods to Africa.Hey,might just find a new market.A bussinessman by birth(inherited).Doctor(to be ) by profession.Thanks if you, meant it in a good way.Otherswise,mind your own bussiness.Thanks
Mikram

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
AZB

If one goes by the price of Basmati rice in the USA only you, Hipolito and Pepe Goico will be able to afford it. But I agree with you, that is a nice piece of grain.

TW

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Basmati rice in the indian / pakistani stores are quite reasonably priced Ex: buy 2, 10 lbs / each bags and get the third one for free. Each bag is about 10 dollars or less.
Now if you buy basmati rice in krogers and other american grocery stores you will get a tiny, fancy little pakage for 10 times the price / quantity.

mikramjafri

Nov 25, 2002
Your right.

I was in Ohio.Indian shops there are fairly resonable.Products are from Chicago.Impressive but true the bread(roti) is made there as well as others.
Well I think DR is being supplied well with all amenities by Latin America and the US.Being small i thought it wouldn't be self sufficient in Foods.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Re: Your right.

mikramjafri said:
Well I think DR is being supplied well with all amenities by Latin America and the US.Being small i thought it wouldn't be self sufficient in Foods.

The DR is small, but it is blessed with extremely fertile soils, ample rainfall, year-round growing seasons, and a large labor force. All these things allow the DR to grow much of its total food requirements.

As a side note, one of the key geographical differences between the DR and Haiti is that nearly all of the most fertile lands fall within DR's borders.

Basmati rice: we buy the 10# bag for roughly $10 at a multicultural store run by Arabs in Champaign-Urbana, Illinois. Pretty good stuff. :)

Swede

Kiteman

Aug 25, 2002
AZB,

I just read in today's paper that a fellow named Ricardo Arbaje owns a store named L' epicier de L' Orient that specializes in "imported food from the Orient". He mentions that 25 percent of his customers are from England, India and Pakistan. Sounds promising for Basmati rice ! The article does not mention where he is located, but I would think the capital. Maybe Golo or Pib knows where he is located. I hope this can be of some help.

frederic

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
That store is located in a small shopping center on Winston Churchill Avenue and the corner of Roberto Passtoriza, a couple of locales beside the Baskin Robbins ice cream parlor. I've been there and visit ocassionally to buy stuff, which is excellent in quality and very diverse. GO THERE !!!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Southeast corner of Churchill and Roberto Pastoriza as frederic said. In the same mall where Omaha Steaks is. Yes, I've bough spices there, they also sell books and Arabian coffee.

Hmmm.... coffee.....