Iberostar or Riu?? Puerto Plata

Lauray

Jan 29, 2003
Trying to decide between the Iberostar Costa Dorado or the Riu Merengue/Bachata.
Any input would be great!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Depends what you are looking for - both are good. Riu Merengue & the other Riu's, are west of Puerto Plata town by about 8 miles, Iberostar Costa Dorada is just on the eastern edges of town. Much more convenient for getting around, meeting the locals & seeing the area if that is you intention (Say it is .... please!!).

If you are a golfer, Costa Dorada is much more convenient forthe local courses!! That's if this RAIN ever stops!!!!

Have a good holiday - Grahame.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Come on George, Los Mangos isn't a golf course - it is a driving range with 9 flags placed on some slightly less weedy grass!! The REAL challenge of Los Mangos is finding your balls when they land in the middle of the fairway!! - Grahame.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Riu or Iberostar - POP

Hi Lauray,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

It's not an easy choice; I know I have been to two of the Rius in POP and ICD. The are both wonderful (the best available in POP; IMHO) but there are some differences.

Best Beach - Riu
Best Food - Very, very slight edge to Iberostar (better a la cartes)
Best Pool - Equal since Riu Bachata opened
Best Liquor - Iberostar because of Premium Brands
Best Watersports - Riu
Best Location - Do you want to be closer to POP (then Iberostar)
Best Disco - Iberostar let's locals in - It's a hoot to watch the sankis at work (a new spectator sport)
Best Rooms - Equal (Who needs a room?)

Havig said what I have I would not hesitatwe to recommend either.

I wish I had your decision to make, but whatever you choose, get out of the resort and see the counrty. What's behind those gates is wonderful - but it's not the Dominican Republic.

Gregg

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Gregg...best joke of the day!!! <b><i>Best Disco - Iberostar let's locals in - It's a hoot to watch the sankis at work (a new spectator sport) </b></i>
That's exactly what I did on my last trip, after having read so many reports here on DR1!!!
Like Robert says...the sankies must hate us now!
I am planning my Valentine's weekend trip to POP, with a one night stopover in SD, to meet the DR1 locals, and then off to the North Coast...by bus...
Contrary to the best advice I've received here, I am sooo tired of work, I need to be pampered...so I'm planning on staying either at the Riu Bachata or Coral Marien...both brand new and to my understanding both really good!!!
Thanks again for the laughs!!!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
MQ,
If you get into the town, give me a call before leaving & we will try to meet up - I'll even buy you ONE beer. Play your cards right & I'll try to get Johnny Honda out of his workplace & we can all have a beer together at the Golf Club bar!!! How about it Johnny???? By the way JH, if you meet up with Tom in Sosua this week, be easy on him. - Grahame