Maybe we need a separate Merengue forum

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
I was going to post this on my ?dancing boy? thread, but then I figured nobody would read it, so I started yet another thread, because my inquiring mind has to know the answers to these important questions.

OK, I?m now about 12 CDs into my latest musical addiction and haven?t OD?d yet so I?m going to continue to collect for awhile. The song I can?t stop playing over and over is Tu Vas A Volar by Rubby Perez. That?s right, it?s Rubby, not Ruby for you newcomers, like me. It's on a compilation CD. Should I get some more of his stuff? Man, I like that song. I also got Grupo Man?a and La Makina because they were cheap. That?s all good stuff. I can?t find anything by Carlos Alberti. I see Carlos Alberto. Is that the guy I should be looking for or do I have to dig deeper to find se?or Alberti? I really want to find some old school stuff. Like, I already have a huge ska collection. I like the ska-core rock ?n roll from the nineties, but I also love that genuine early Jamaican stuff from the sixties. When I get hooked on something, I really get hooked.

Most merengue tunes have what sounds like a trumpet line playing in the vocal pauses and it?s fairly common to hear a saxophone-like sound playing a contra-melody. Now, when groups like Grupo Man?a have only four dudes, I assume that all those brass and reed sounds are coming out of an electronic keyboard of some kind. Is that right? Or is there an anonymous group of trumpeters and saxophonists willing to perform, uncredited, on album after album.

OK, so if my assumption about the electronic sounds is correct, how far back do you have to go to find real trumpet and sax instruments on the recordings and who would some of those artists be? Or did they do it all on some kind of accordion or wind organ before the electronics were available?

Thanks. Your help and suggestions are always appreciated.

st louis mike
never too busy to ask a question, or two, or twenty

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
Look for Wilfredo Vargas' work - the horn section was considered part of the band as far as I know - they toured together (saw 'em in T.O. a few times). They are more the 'old style' I think you are referring to.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
St Louis

That screaming crooner who sounds like a cock in heat Ruby Perez is the most predictable merengue singer in DR. All his songs sound alike. If you listen to an entire album of this guy and you survive, let me know.

Grupo Mania is four guys in the front, but an entire band behind playing. They are as good as any musical band and one of the most innovative, among the few who sound good playing the decandent and now almost defunct merengue.(Who is listening to this stuff besides a descending number of Dominicans and ex-pats who cannot find dancing music in their small towns in Europe)

Carlos Alberto is more of a TV show host who sings than a recording music artist. He has a good voice, but he is so goody goody than he sounds like Bobby Vinton trying to make it in the 21st century. He is also a comedian who has that TV show Cojelo? which gives you the finger.

Alberti is purely for historians of the pre-stone age Dominicans. You have to really be nostagic to listen to that stuff.

TW

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks, golo

As usual, you are a treasure trove of information and opinion. Your posts are very entertaining. Any chance of meeting up for a Presidente when I return this summer?

All other replies are still welcomed and encouraged.

SLM

jose?to

The thread finally snapped...
Jun 19, 2002
St. Louis Mike...

First of all, the Cards fans rule! Right, Cleef?

I'll give you an answer shortly.

-Jose?to

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Bachata"..RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing more needs to be said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CRIS.............Except you have to listen with alots of "Ice-Cold","Vestido de Novia" clad Presidentes,con "Clamato"!!!!Cris

jose?to

Jun 19, 2002
St. Louis Mike...

I think I know a little bit about this stuff. I think. I'll PM you with some info.

-Jose?to

jose?to

Jun 19, 2002
Some info.

Mike,

I sent you a PM, but I had to reduce it by 6575 characters, since the limit is a thousand, which I did not know. I sent the rest via e-mail.

-Jose?to

CaribbeanGeorge

"Creature of Leisure"
Jan 3, 2002
www.fuentesdellago.com
Correction on Carlos Alfredo

Carlos Alberto is more of a TV show host who sings than a recording music artist. He has a good voice, but he is so goody goody than he sounds like Bobby Vinton trying to make it in the 21st century. He is also a comedian who has that TV show Cojelo? which gives you the finger.
ok it is not Alberto, is carlos Alfredo fatule, he is the host of Gozalo! which indeed gives you the finger(not the middle one).
He has a good live show every thursday at the bar of the teatro nacional, (no spamming here).
back to the thread.
Dont you get sick after 1 hour of listening merengue and its anoying guira ???
CG
:bunny:

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Caribbean George

That is precisely the problem with merengue. Other than being faster, there has been little innovation of the rythmn. Almost every merengue song is predictable.

One of the most popular songs today is this old-fashioned style slow merengue by Los Potros(Johnny Ventura's son's band) called "La Almohada". It has a very catchy sound that reminds me of "Ojala Que Llueva, Cafe" by Juan Luis Guerra. If you dissect this song you will hear that it sounds excatly like every merengue song by Johnny Ventura back 20 years ago(The slow versions) Nothing new, except different lyrics.

The song goes on for about 5 minutes. After the first couple of minutes it repeats itsef, then it goes into a weird repetition of saying "La almohada" which bears no reason.

If you take Ruby Perez's every song, I would challenge anyone to tell me the difference between every song on every album he has ever done.

TW