What about you?

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
To: Robert ********

Hello

I am new to your boards, but not to the island. Back home I was always active in helping needy families, not just around the holidays, year round.
Looking around the island, I realize that a little effort would go a long way here. 2 months ago, I had a discussion with the president of the company I work for. I told him that, I would like to do something down here, along the lines of the projects I, had done up there. He said the company would make a donation up to $ ****. (U.S.), anonymously, it?s not about buying good press, nor is it ever working with just 1 faith that only spreads the kindness amongst their own.

For the past 2 months I have been trying figure out, how and where, this would do the most good. No matter where I look, there are people who need help. Narrowing it down has been impossible for me, it is personally overwhelming, to come up with something to benefit enough people to make a real difference. I am not talking about sponsoring a group of kids for a season of baseball.

I finally came up with an idea, which I believe would really work.

I would like you to consider the following.
I would like to post, looking for volunteers to form a group. Since this is still only February, the goals, would be as follows.

The volunteers, would pick and vote
1, President
2, Vice President, for when the President, not available.
3, Treasurer
4, Secretary, to keep track of who promised, too do what.
5, Somebody for legal guidance.
And a group of dedicated volunteers.

Meet once a month, I?m thinking 1st month, South shore. 2nd month North shore, and vice versa. That means every 60 days your going to really have to make a trip.

We would pick a meeting place in both locations, negotiate a group rate, for dinner, everybody pays their own way. (There is no reimbursement, or salaries, associated with this)

We ask for ideas on projects that are possible. People from all over the island would be able to make suggestions, and ideas would be picked by popular vote. These projects would be much bigger in scope, based on a group of people with history here, than a fairly new single person trying to do this.

The rest of the efforts would be to raising monies, services, materials, and what ever else may be needed. I personally would like go out, too other U.S. companies here, and solicit donations, using my company as an example, it only takes 1 to start the list. For building materials, I am positive, I could get a large donation of concrete and blocks, or a deep dicount, for this kind of organized effort.

I have an idea as to who would volunteer off the boards.
And people like helping other people, it?s in our nature, all of us.

The month of December would be the time to carry out all projects. If it works well, we do it all over again in January.

I really hope, you take the time to consider this, your message forums, is the best way for people to get together and share idea?s, if there is a better way, I have not found it.

I will respect your decision, as to whether or not, you will allow me to start this, through your forums. Believe me, there will be no hard feelings on my end if you say no. And your decision will never go any further than me.
But I will do this, either way, on your boards with every body reading and posting, and getting involved. Or through private e-mails, to which you will be able to write an article about in December.

I personally, do not want to be an officer, but I believe, I can start the ball rolling, and make it my goal, to get at least 3 corporate donations a month to the treasurer.

Even if you say no to the post. any thoughts you have, please share them with me. I am wide open on this one.

Respectfully
Tim Hollis

Rob's answer

Hi Tim,

Sounds like a great idea, you have our 100% support!
Feel free to post on the message board.

My partner Dolores ******* will be contacting you via email
as her husband is very much involved in long term community
programs, especially ecology related ones.

Let's talk more about this when we meet up on Feb 19th for
MQ's get together.

Regards,

Robert.

Last edited:

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
MQ on the 19th???

Rob, I belive she is landing on the Island, this Thursday, the 13th.
My wife and I, will be picking her up at the airport, do you know something I don't????

Tim H.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Tim...I would love to work with you on this...since my plans are to move there to live in the very near future...

But like Rob says...let's talk about it when I get there...

<b> <i>THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 13TH...JARAGUA...SANTO DOMINGO...MARK YOU CALENDARS!!!</b></i>

Rob...what would be a good time to meet?

You guys decide!!! Don't forget I'm going dancing later on that night...Jan already has the guys lined up for me!!!

Can't wait!!!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Good time to meet? 7pm maybe?
We could meet in the Sports Bar (Champions)
The food is ok and it will be easy to find everyone.

CMS

Jan 28, 2003
Tim,
I like your plan. I would love to help out in any way I can. I also hope to make it out to the Jaragua on the 13th.
CMS