Sosua Hotels

hydeac

Feb 5, 2003
I was wondering if anyone could recommend one hotel over the other. I am attending spanish school in Sosua and trying to decide. I've narrowed it down to the The Tropix or Paraiso de Colon? Any thoughts would be really appreciated! Thanks.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'd recommend Tropix. It is small, friendly, and very relaxed. Sylvie, the owner, is a descendent of one of the Jewish families that settled here prior to WWII and is very knowledeable about the area. It isn't AI, but does provide a kitchen for guests who want to cook something for themselves. You can't go wrong staying there.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Only problem is that I don't think I would want to walk that road at night. I would stay on the ocean side of the Highway. You may want to contact Eddy from Condos Dominicanos here. Nice place and convienent walk to the school.

hydeac

Feb 5, 2003
Dangerous Roads

A dangerous road at night in what regards? What do you think of that Ken? No thoughts on the Paraiso de Colon? That's where the school recommends because of their kick backs or whatever. Hummm....perhaps I should just wait and check it out for myself upon arrival. What is the weather like in April?? Off season for tourists?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
hydeac, there is a dark stretch from highway to Tropix, however, my wife and I walked it a few nights when we stayed there while in process of moving to Sosua, and many people have stayed there before and since we were there without incident. If there had been problems, I would have heard about them. People of all ages stay there.

I might also mention that people have posted on this board how much they like it there. Never has there been any suggestion of trouble of any sort going to and from the hotel.

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Re: Dangerous Roads

hydeac said:
A dangerous road at night in what regards? What do you think of that Ken? No thoughts on the Paraiso de Colon? That's where the school recommends because of their kick backs or whatever. Hummm....perhaps I should just wait and check it out for myself upon arrival. What is the weather like in April?? Off season for tourists?

I would NOT walk that road at night. Ken may think it's grand but I don't. I have never had a problem walking in Sosua but I don't walk in that sort of place so maybe better safe than sorry. There are plenty of places on the school side of the tracks.

Weather is nice in April and probably the busiest month because of Samana Santa (Easter) in my experience.

I believe that the Mainers, Ken and wife and myself are dining on the 19th of April in Rockys. Feel free to stop by that evening.

Again, I recommend Eddys' Condos Dominicanos or El Colibri which are decent and a safe walk on the main tourist street to the school. There are probably a bunch of others as well but those are the only two places I have stayed at besides one night at Rockys which is decent and cheap (15- bux a night) with fan and cable but no pool. One of the more popular Bar/Restaurants in town with only 6 rooms/cottages.

Good luck

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
"I believe that the Mainers, Ken and wife and myself are dining on the 19th of April in Rockys. Feel free to stop by that evening." jazzcom
hey, what day is it? I might come too.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Not sure, think it is a Saturday, day before Easter Sunday. You are going to be in town. How long are you going to stay? Hope you can stay for the week. I need a good laugh. Been shoveling this Gawd aweful snow. We had 28" so far. My back is killing me. Where is a good Chiropractor when you need one?

Closed on another building last month, have 3 more closing within 30 days. Before you know it I will be all done and we will be neighbors! LOL

Maybe we can con the Brit into making the trip to have some fun!

Hell I will start a new thread instead of hijacking this one.

Regards

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I will be there for the Easter. I will stay there the whole time in playa dorada but in sosua at night with you and the gang. This time we will be able to go to the beaches and to some secret hide-out places that I had discovered while I lived there (north coast). Better be ready for the beach beacuse I want to show you some really good marine life / coral reef in sosua (snorkling). See ya.
The brit has no choice but to come because he can't afford to leave his young wife alone with 2 tigres from hell. Get it?