Safety in Sosua, an old post

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Many visitors to the DR who stay at inclusive resorts ask. ?Is it safe to leave the resort?? I would suggest that it certainly is and anyone who doesn?t could have been parachuted into almost any hot climate in the world and will miss so very much such as the mountains, the endless beaches. Most important you will miss the warmth and friendliness of the Dominican people who aren?t employed at the resorts. Here are a few suggestions, most, of which are common sense to help ensure one?s safety. Many of us overindulge when on vacation, if you leave a disco at 3a.m. It is not prudent to wander through darkened streets, parks and beaches in an inebriated state. If you rent a car keep in mind drunk driving has equally disastrous results anywhere in the world. Driving in the DR can be a real challenge so drive ultra- defensively. Should you rent a pasola (scooter) or 125 you will have a ball but guard it, lock it and keep your eyes on it all the time. Two men, a boy and a pickup and it?s history. Should you not feel confident in driving yourself, take a commercial tour, they aren?t all that expensive. When riding a motoconcho, watch the exhaust pipe, you don?t want a Sosua (Dominican) tattoo. They hurt mucho. Use ATMs during the day where there is a security guard. Don?t flash a wad or expensive jewelry. Fanny packs are great, but one slice of a knife and there goes cash, credit cards, passport etc. Avoid drugs, however soft, there is a 0-tolerance policy and Dominican jails are not Holiday Inns. Should you hire a rent-a body be careful, in the morning you may find your wallet has gone further South, and remember the high incidence of AIDS in developing nations so always use protection, there are some souvenirs we can do without. Drink bottled water. Fortunately the old West Indies expression, ?get a cut, get a Band-Aid, get sick get a plane,? is outdated. There are many extremely competent physicians in the DR. So please, please leave your resort and see what the DR has to offer. You will be glad you did.

judyisnice

Oct 11, 2002
RICHARD

Your so right....put the teens in the A1 and get a place away from there! I don't belive in staying on the inside. All you see are more of you sitting round the pool .I can do that at home.

No one has ever given me a hard time being out and about, even when I'v had a small motor bike. I felt very safe. My biggest fear was that I'd crash while I was in town...or stall at the street lights on the main drag in POP. And sure as the sun comes up ...there I was in D.R. rush hour "STALLED" F___!

IT'S JUST FAR TO MUCH FUN , THE DR. I SAW WAS JUST FINE...SPEAKS ENGLISH AND LOOKED AFTER ME AND MY FIRST CRASH AND BURN WITHOUT QUESTION.

JUST ANOTHER 24 HOURS IN THIS PLACE THAT'S HOME FOR NOW AT THE TEMP. -43 LAST NITE. WONDER IF IT MIGHT WARM TO ,OH MAYBE -40 THIS EVENING.. TELL ME JUST HOW WONDERFUL I'LL FEEL GETTING OFF THAT FLIGHT ON THURS. AFTERNOON...HAPPY!!

THANKS JUDY

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Safety

Goodstuff Judy. Getting out and meeting the Dominican people is a big part of enjoying the DR. Those who stay with the compounds are missing so very much. It sounds like you will be repeating on a regular basis.

richard

Jan 1, 2002
safety

judyisnice said:
RICHARD

Your so right....put the teens in the A1 and get a place away from there! I don't belive in staying on the inside. All you see are more of you sitting round the pool .I can do that at home.

No one has ever given me a hard time being out and about, even when I'v had a small motor bike. I felt very safe. My biggest fear was that I'd crash while I was in town...or stall at the street lights on the main drag in POP. And sure as the sun comes up ...there I was in D.R. rush hour "STALLED" F___!

IT'S JUST FAR TO MUCH FUN , THE DR. I SAW WAS JUST FINE...SPEAKS ENGLISH AND LOOKED AFTER ME AND MY FIRST CRASH AND BURN WITHOUT QUESTION.

JUST ANOTHER 24 HOURS IN THIS PLACE THAT'S HOME FOR NOW AT THE TEMP. -43 LAST NITE. WONDER IF IT MIGHT WARM TO ,OH MAYBE -40 THIS EVENING.. TELL ME JUST HOW WONDERFUL I'LL

FEEL GETTING OFF THAT FLIGHT ON THURS. AFTERNOON...HAPPY!!

THANKS JUDY

Happy and smilingfrom ear to ear. Wish I was going too.:cool: :cool:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I agree Richard

One point for visitors visiting sosua...pickpockets are omnipresent especially in front of the poolhall by the merengue club and they are good.From what I saw they are all females and work in pairs.I was aware of them but others may not be.Just use common sense and dont carry a lot of cash or display a lot of Jewlery.Beware of who is moving around you and strange women coming up to you and touching you in a sexual way because your cash may disappear.Also..dont allow girls you have a quick fling with to stay as overnight guests and while they are in your room..always be aware of where your valuables are.If you get out of bed to go to the bathroom,take your wallet with you.

Larry

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
another point

Expanding on something that Richard referred to...if you like to use drugs..do not use them in the DR.Some of the putas in sosua work hand in hand with the corrupt policia.What the girls do is feel you out a little and then ask you if you want some drugs.If you say yes..they get the drugs for you and then go back to your hotel room with you.When they get the opportunity,they call the police who then come and lock you up and you have to call home and empty your bank account to get out of jail.The police then kick some of the money that you paid them to get out back to the girl for setting you up.So if you are stupid enopugh to put your money up your nose..dont do it in sosua.
Larry

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Miami Sports Bar

Between the whores at Miami Sports Bar, the bar at Hotel Central and Merengue Club, it was out of control last trip. I now cross the street when passing those places.

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
I just got back from my first trip to the DR and stayed at an AI. I wanted to get out of the resort and to other towns, but could not find anyone to go with me. So I just rented a taxi and went to Sosua. I had a great time talking to the owner, Barb, of the Britannia Pub and other regulars. I am glad I made the excursion and would do it again in a heartbeat.

By the way, Johnny Honda, where were you? Barb had your meatloaf, hot and waiting for you. Oops, that sounded a little suggestive. It really was meatloaf, guys.

I wish I had had more energy to go to other towns. I certainly will next time. So, I encourage anyone to make the trip out of the AI. My cabbie took great care of me.

Tondra

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Re KenoshaChris
No problems either to stay at these bars or walking by. Why did you cross the street ? The girls that hang around there, is not dangerous.