Transportation

geoloes

Mar 14, 2003
Hi everyone,
My wife and I will be traveling to the DR for the first time in June.
Looking for the best way to get from the Airport @ Puerto Plata to our resort, The Occidental-Allegro Playa Grande in San Juan.
Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Your best bet is a taxi. Public transportation is available, but would be quite a hassle for people coming with luggage who don't know the area and may not speak the language.

CMS

Jan 28, 2003
Playa Grande

Last I heard that hotel was closed and half their beach eroded. What's the latest? Did the tides shift in their favor?

geoloes

Mar 14, 2003
transportation

Thanks for the info folks,
My wife does speak Spanish so that is not a problem.
I really hope that the resort is open as I am booked through RCI on a time share exchange.
If anyone has more information about it possibly being closed or in a sorry state, I would appriciate an update.

Thanks.

McBill

Mar 27, 2003
We are also planning our 1st visit in August and have booked at Playa Grande through RCI. We did find out that the hotel you is closing I believe this June for renovations. You might want to give them a call and rebook somewhere else. We rebooked over to Punta Cana area.

geoloes

Mar 14, 2003
Thanks Mcbill,
RCI has already contacted us about the closing and rebooked us into another of the Occidental Allegra resorts.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I hope it is in Playa Dorada

That is a nice enjoyable place in a complex dedicated to golf and the beach. You are closer to a lot of things like the Ambar Museum, the Cafe Cito, the Tram to the top of the mountain, and other interesting things. the day trips are closer, also...
If you are an avid golver you can do a day trip to the course at Playa Grande, it is well worth the trip!!

Hb