I am curious about you

trishdeyar

Oct 16, 2002
www.hiddenhilltop.com
I read a thread in this forum about moving to DR and I responded in it, but then promptly decided hey, that would be a good topic. Perhaps it's been done before and if so, I apologize but I am wondering the following of those that have relocated to DR

1. Where did you move from? How long ago?
2. What did you do there? What do you do in DR - similiar trade or something completely different
3. What has been a major impact on your life from this move?
4. Is there one MAJOR difference between where you were and where you are? (besides weather for the Canucks!)
5. Anything special you want to share about DR?

Thanks for indulging me - I love to read about others' stories, gives me insight into those that post here.

Thanks
Trish

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'll go first!

1. Where did you move from? How long ago?

I moved here from the UK (but that's not where I am from, it's where I was working) three and a half years ago.

2. What did you do there? What do you do in DR - similiar trade or something completely different

In the UK I was working as a Communications Officer for one of the large international development agencies, on the Latin American and Caribbean Desk. Since 1996, when I first visited the DR, I had a special focus on the Caribbean region. I met my husband 5 years ago on my third visit to the DR and decided to make the move about 18 months later. I started off here as a volunteer for another British organisation, working with campesino groups to help them develop their communications and fundraising work. Then I returned to the Santo Domingo office of my former employer as Communications Officer for the Central America and Caribbean region. I left this post to have a baby and have worked as a full time mother ever since, with some freelance assignments mainly in the NGO sector.

3. What has been a major impact on your life from this move?

Well as it has coincided with becoming a wife and mother it is a total difference from my former Bridget Jones-like existence in the UK! There are aspects of life that are easier, and others that are more difficult.

4. Is there one MAJOR difference between where you were and where you are? (besides weather for the Canucks!)

I can't help mentioning the fact that my winter clothes are mouldering in the closet! I own a car for the first time ever, something I always resisted doing as long as there were alternatives. In the UK public transport, cycling and walking were enjoyable options, here I am afraid I had to admit defeat and join in the destruction of the planet.

5. Anything special you want to share about DR?

See my post on the other thread 'what is the best part about living in the DR'?

Look forward to seeing others' replies.

Chiri

Last edited: