DR rumor: NY school week 4 days only?

CorletoLovesDR

Jul 8, 2002
Hello,

I have spoken to several different people from the DR over the phone, and they all have told me that they have heard that the school week in NY has been shortened to 4 days because of budget cuts. I know that this is ridiculous, because this hasn't happened at all here in NY.

Now, my question is, has anyone heard anything like this in the news in the D.R.? Or is this happening in any of the other 51 states of the U.S.? You know that most dominicans refer to the whole U.S. as "Nueva York" for some reason.

Or, is this just another "bola cuadrada" of mis-information (for those that don't know, a "bola cuadrada" or "square ball" is a dominican slang term for a rumor, or something that is not true but somehow starts out and spreads very quickly from mouth to mouth).

Well, I am just a little curious. It strikes me that every time I speak to a relative in the D.R. they all tell me or ask me about this.

Thanks.

CorletoLovesDR

Jul 8, 2002
Correction to my post

In my previous post, I meant the other 49 states, not 51 states of the U.S.

Just a correction.

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
This was in the Buffalo news about a month ago. There was a proposal to shorten the school week to 4 days. They were going to have school implemented 4 days a week, with longer school hours during those 4 days. I believe it was money reasons if I remember correctly. I have not heard anything since about it or it being implemented.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I have heard Kansas City area schools were thinking of this; seems shaving one day off the week saves big bucks in maintenance and heating costs...