Looking for suggestions on giving away baseball equipment and school supplies in the

skelba

Apr 5, 2003
My family and I are traveling to Punta Cana April 12 - 26 staying at the Iberostar Bavaro Suiets. I will be shipping a lot of clothing, school supplies and baseball equipment. I would like to know if anyone knows of a baseball field of a mission or a church in the Higuey area where I can give the items to? The last time we were here I gave everything away when I was on the monster truck tour at the school. The tour guide was not at all pleased with me but what the hell I made a lot of kids happy. I also want to bring my baseball team to this area in 2005 to play some local 13 year old teams anyone have information on the local baseball here? Thank you for your responces in advance EARL & JULIE NEIBAUR FAMILY...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This is a tough one, really, not kidding.

Schools do not have teams of any sort, unfortunately. (Okey, that is 90% true,at least) So finding a good use via a school is out of the question.

I think I would check with missionary groups and their websites and see if they have missions there.

Next, when I arrive, I would go to Higuey, and find the local office of the Secretar?a de Deportes, or the local Asociaci?n de Beisbol, talk to them about what you have and arrange a time and place for your personal dispersal of these gems. This is one sure way that you will know that the items are going to be given away and used as you intended.

As for the clothes, you could probably give those away through the maids and groundskeepers at the hotel..

HB

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Get in touch with Tom Eklund at Orphanage Outreach in Arizona, his website is www.orphanage-outreach.org and he is adding a baseball team component to his work at some orphanages in Esperanza and Monte Cristi. Its not Higuey, but I know he could find a good home for the stuff.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
North Coast, not Punta Cana, but.........

Here's an established, proven charitable program based at a Canadian owned timeshare resort in Cabarete, near Puerto Plata.

If you go to www.sunsetresorts.com and check on Dominican School Friends Program, you will find info about this initiative. They can help you get things into the right hands.

Good for you.

susana

Mar 26, 2003
school supplies

Hi there I am new to the board, and will be down there next week, (finally) my second trip to the north coast, but I am wondering specifically what school supplies are needed, is there anything that the older "kids" are missing out on, or things that are hard to find, or too expensive, that I can stock up on here?

Thanks, and thanks for all the entertainment over the last year

Sus

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
I think one good thing that not that many people bring are books (in Spanish of course) for kids that are of a little bit of a higher reading level. There are lots of easy books for little kids, but the kids at the school where I worked had a hard time getting their hands on harder books (6th-7th grade level), for those that really liked to read.

Beyond that, they need everything! Pencils, paper, chalk, you name it, it will be used somewhere.

CMS

Jan 28, 2003
baseball

I can set you up with former MLB player Mackey Moreno who runs youth leagues in Santo Domingo. Let me know if you are interested in playing teams in the capital.

skelba

Apr 5, 2003
Baseball

This would be great our kids will all be 13 years old an I wuold of corse like to set up games during easter break of 2005. This will take a great deal of planning not to mention fundraising on our part. My main focus is going to be on helping these kids get equipment which we hope to bring along. Not to mention education supplies. I will be researching the travel arrangements but will need to make arrangements once we get their for transportation. I want to make this work for 2005 any information you can supply would be greatly appreciated... EARL

CMS

Jan 28, 2003
baseball

2005 is a ways off, but I will send you Mr. Moreno's telephone number. I would be willing to help you in any way but I don't know if I will still be living here in 2005. Keep me posted of your progress.
CMS

skelba

Apr 5, 2003
Contacts

Help is help I appreciate all you can do. I never new it was going to be this difficult to to get these Items to the dominican. I have opted to take three additional duffel bags of equipment and clothing. As I stated prior I will be at the Iberostar Bavaro April 12- 26. I do have several gloves both right and left handed along with a full set of catchers equipment. I have three catchers mits and several alum bats and some cleats. Most all of the items are in good useable condition. I am also bringing along about three dozen used baseballs a few pair of baseball pants and about 8 uniform tops. I am working on the airline to let me take them for free but if I have to pay I consider it money well spent. If you or your contact know of anyone in the Heiguy who can put this to use I would sure relish the time to get it to them. Last year I gave away 3 dozen baseballs and a few gloves to the children playing a sandlot game. Just think this Idea started from my son who is 11 and wanted to make sure his extra equipment didn't go to waste. Again it just snowballed on me. Earl V. Neibaur

CMS

Jan 28, 2003
Hi Earl,
I tried sending you an e-mail but I was rejected.
I won't be in the Punta Cana area during your upcoming visit so I won't be of much help. Here is Mr. Moreno's cell phone number. His English is very limited so best of luck.
1-809-258-3525
I'm sure he can help you in some way.
Sincerely,
Karl

skelba

Apr 5, 2003
Baseball equipment

Karl, I will try to contact mr. Marino I have his number. I have two 40 inch by 18 inch equipment bags Full to the hilt with equipment. I have one full set of catchers equipment many balls and bats plus at least 20 gloves. Some of the gloves are left handed which I am sure are in hig demand.

CMS

Jan 28, 2003
more baseball

Earl,
You could go to any local park in Higuey and find hundreds of youngsters that could really use the equipment you are bringing.
I can't think of a better way to spend a day than going to a local park and sharing baseball equipment with the local kids. Make sure you take part in a game with them.
I'll bet one of the Dominican workers at your hotel could take you to a barrio one morning and help you find a needy place for your equipment as well.
Mr. Moreno is a league organizer who charges local kids for his coaching expertise. I mentioned him to you because you said earlier that you were interested in having a team from the states visit the DR and play some local teams. He would be a great contact for that.
Thanks for taking the time to help out the local community Earl.
Best wishes,
CMS

skelba

Apr 5, 2003
Equipment and clothing handout went well

Karl, I hade a wonderful time handing out all my equipment and clothing it was the highlight of our vacation. We took a taxi to a baseball field about 20 mins from our hotel. Of corse the taxi driver didn't speak english but we communicated well. he waited paitently for our three hour game and we rewarded him with $100 us dollers plus he joined us in the game. Haveing brought a full set of catchers gear made it very easy to play. I think I hade about 100 balls half new half old but in good shape. I was surprised by the amount of left handed players (kids) and I was glad I could give out all my left handed gloves. The nice thing about it was I met a nice gentleman who was fluent in spanish and he took the time to meet me at the field and spen 4 hours out of his vacation to help me out. I will say word spread quickely throught the village and the area and kids even left school early to patricipate. I made sure every one of the kids in their school uniforms recieved a glove ball and bat along with some sort of school supplies.

CMS

Jan 28, 2003
baseball

Awesome report Earl! I wish I could have been there for that one.
Many thanks from the local community to you and your family for your generosity. Stay in touch, I would enjoy hearing about any future projects. Let me know when you bring teams to play here in the DR. I coach a number of youth teams in basketball and baseball here, but the kids are young, grades 2-5.
Karl

skelba

Apr 5, 2003
continued

The game was fun as word spread we had about 100 people watching the game (surprised the hell out of me) and my translater was a great help. Everyone knew why we were their and I was surprised on how they took the equipment and gave to the kids who had the best chance to use their baseball talent to get out of the area to a better team. From what My translator told me was the kids decided who got what and what they got based on need and ability. I guess that is what surprised me the most. I am sure some of the kids would of liked to have kept what I gave them but they gave it up for others to have an oppertunity. That tells me something about the area and how they take care of each other. It was so much fun to see the kids trickel in one by one and join the game but it was much easier when my translator Jeff showed up. I started out with two kids who were hitting a old tatterd ball with an old bat to two full teams in about an hours time. From what Jeff was telling me and the smiles all around it was something that was needed in the area. The kids in the village and surrounding area promised they will share the balls, gloves and bats to play orgnized games on Saturdays as long as the balls last. I know the effort for this was their because Jeff told me he could hear the kids talking about the game to be played the next Saturday.

skelba

Apr 5, 2003
more

Karl , I have much more to report but I will do it as time permits I have a lot of work to do here since i WAS GONE TWO WEEKS.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Outstanding job !!!

You are to be congratulated.

They will play for months since baseballs are easy to tape up and keep playing. Why do you think that the DR is a major importer of 3M Electrical tape??

A job well done, you made a lot of kids happy.

Next time come to the North Coast!

HB