Pedro the pitiful

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Punk

As a card carrying member of Red Sox Nation I've been through the ringer with boastful bags of wind that piss and moan about "respect" from fans and ownership.

There are aspects of P.Martinez that I love, but the overriding element of greed this guy has is beyond all the love I can offer.

If you're a baseball fan, or Pedro fan, get a load of his recent comments after the team went far far beyond the call of duty in picking up his option year on his contract - for $17.5 million, more than any other pitcher in the game has ever made. He plays in 1, maybe 2 games a week, and he feels slighted.

There are also some "interesting" comments the writer makes on the DR. That's what really got my attention.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
What!

What kind of stunt is he trying to pull????? My goodness, they're never satisfied but the little snub by that weasel "sports journalist" about the DR really got on my nerves......this is the line from the reporter:

"At the end of the 2004 season, the Red Sox will have paid Pedro Martinez $92.5 million since he started here in 1998. In the dirt-poor Dominican Republic, that no doubt could buy half the country."

If he only knew......

arenas809

May 22, 2002
Please, spare me, Pedro doesn't deserve the same as Clemens, Maddux, or Johnson? Has Maddux's ERA come under 11 yet? Let me know when he wins a game this year, same with RJ. Pedro's the ace of the team, he deserves the money, period.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
No doubt about it

Pedro is the best pitcher in history for seven innings. Of course, pitchers today are all the same....7 innings and that'st it. I still give an edge to Juan Marichal over Pedro now. But I will wait a bit longer to do a full comparison.

TW

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Polo

I'd like to have your help in scripting a letter to the editor of the Boston Globe on the remark by D. Shaughnessy about the DR that John S. copied here.

Arenas you malcontent, read the article. He is and will continue to be the highest paid pitcher in the history of the game. No one discounts his value, the point of the matter is when is enough....ENOUGH?

He is the most cherished, babied and well paid pitcher there is, YET, he feels disrespected? How, how how?

He negotiated for this option year, he agreed to it when he signed on to become the highest paid player in the game, but now it doesn't work for him?

Well, he didn't work in 2001, so he should pay some of his salary back no? Where's your logic?

His disgraceful comments give him and as far as I'm concerned his country a bad name. Read between the lines, he makes those comments, then the writer makes his, and then all of a sudden they both make the DR look bad.

Just do the math.

Last edited:

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
You've got the pissing and moaning wrong, Cleef. I have lived in Boston for over 20 years, and I must say that I celebrate each day for not becoming a Red Sox fan. These fans bitch and moan ALL the time. Sox fans pay by far the highest ticket price in the country for mediocre service....and they still fill up the park every game...managers change....players change....but the attitude of the fans has always been the same....they act like losers...always focusing on the inmaterial and insignificant....they booed Ted Williams....they booed Carl Yaztremski....they booed Carlton Fisk...they booed Roger Clemens...they boo all the great players...while becoming infatuated with sub-standard players like Trot Nixon. I am not surprised it has been this long.

BTW, Pedro is not and has NEVER been the highest paid pitcher in baseball. Check your data.

Last edited:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
arenas809 said:
Please, spare me, Pedro doesn't deserve the same as Clemens, Maddux, or Johnson? Has Maddux's ERA come under 11 yet? Let me know when he wins a game this year, same with RJ. Pedro's the ace of the team, he deserves the money, period.

Arenas,
No one deserves that kind of money man.The salaries in general have gotten out of hand.

Golo,
I like Pedros style but he is not a proven winner so he dosent deserve to be mentioned in the same company as people like Clemens,Randy Johnson,Curt Schilling,etc.Then again Red Sox are cursed and will never win a world series.

Larry

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Been there too!

I just completed a 10 year term in Watertown and Brighton, and listened to more WEEI than I should have.

No way amigo, I've got it right, but so do you. I loathe the Fenway experience of late. Besides the cramped quarters for anyone over 6', the fandom is absurdly critical. I'd never consider bringing my kids (assuming I had some) there. The filthy mouths and ludicrous actions are disgraceful to behold - pure "losers" just like you said.

I'd say that the fandom isn't necessarily those who are filling up the seats all the time. Fenway Park has been, and continues to be the #1 tourist attraction in New England, bar none.

When you're on vacation, spending a couple hundred on a baseball game in Fenway is not a big deal. Most of the season ticket holders of a decade ago have been forced out - for just the reason(s) that have kept you away.

What? Who is the highest paid?

Pedro was the highest paid player in MLB when he signed his original contract.

He will be the highest paid pitcher next year, according to what I've read.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
I do not hold anything against anybody for the salary they get. If pedro gets $17 million or $27 million good for him. What i do hate is when a prima donna like Martinez whines about money to the press.
At most he has to work 35 to 40 1/2 days a year. In pedro's case a lot less because hey goes on the DL when he has the snifles.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Tony C said:
I do not hold anything against anybody for the salary they get. If pedro gets $17 million or $27 million good for him. What i do hate is when a prima donna like Martinez whines about money to the press.
At most he has to work 35 to 40 1/2 days a year. In pedro's case a lot less because hey goes on the DL when he has the snifles.

That's basically what everyone agrees on. He shouldn't cry just because he isn't getting what he wants. He's already getting tons of money, he should swallow his pride and shut the fukk up(excuse the french.....)

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
To hell with pedro anyway. I am more interested in watching my boy Rafael P. close in on becoming the first Latin Ball player to hit 500 Homeruns!

To all you Sammy Lovers: He is a great Hitter. He Speaks Spanish(Barely) but he is not Latin!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Tony C, check this out.

Some neat country breakdowns

Kind of a neat article when he gets into the country by country breakdown.

I would have figured the DR to be more prominent in win shares than Puerto Rico, but they only lead in pitching.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Tony C

Tony:

Sammy Sosa was born in San San Pedro De Macoris in 1968. Check his data on cnnsi.com in a box called "stats" or "players" and read his whole file and all-time records.

Sammy does not speak any language well. He is practcly illilerate in both Spanish and English. He was a shoeshine boy by trade the became a baseball player and was extremely shy. he never truly learn how to speak.

All this said, he is the biggest threat to Hank Aarons 755 hrs. Even more than Bonds, who is now 39 yrs. old. Sammy is barely 34 and much healthier than Bonds lifetime.

Sammy already joined the 500 club. Palmeiro is still a month away, and too old to come close to Sammy anymore. This is as close as he is going to get from now on.

Pedro is a great pitcher and great whiner. He is also the worst dressed baseball player making over $15 million a year.

TW

Lore

Mar 9, 2003
I know you are all waiting for the total sexist comment!!!!

Anyone got Pedro's number!!!

(I have a couple long distance phone bills to my sick grandmother, my aunt my father, my other boyfriends (oh, scratch that one!!) and my dog has to be put down and I think I may have to have an operation soon - not sure what yet........) Please I really think I am in love and need to meet Pedro, Petro, whatever his name, I am truly in love pleeeeze). Pesos, US, Cdn. I'm not fussy in what currency he is paid. Muchas gracias mi amigos!!!!!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
I never questioned Sammy's baseball ability. He is a threat to break Aarons record and he even is a decent fielder. Today he made a great play in the outfield.
As for him being 34 there is much debate about that. As you know many players from the DR lie about their age so they can sign with a team. Some people claim that he is closer to 38. If this is true he will start his decline in just a few years. Even the greatest hitters all seem to start to slide at around 40.

That aside Palmiero will be the first "Latin" player to hit 500 Homeruns.

For all you politically correct people out there: Sammy Sosa is not Latin! He is black!

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
TonyC, being white is not a pre-requisite for falling under the definition of Latin. Sammy Sosa is just as Latin as Rafael....furthermore, calling someone Latin today has about as much meaning as calling someone Taino....it has no meaning...true Latin culture disappeared hundreds of years ago...what I observe is that those white-looking (there are very few truly white folk from the islands) spanish speaking Americans (the continent, Norht to South) and islanders wish to reserve the word exclusively for themselves.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My beautiful Dominican wife is more or less the "color" of Sammy Sosa

A lot depends on the ambient light .She is a "LOT" prettier than "Sammy",and 100 times prettier than "Pedro"! Since we seem to be looking for "Labels"(always an hot and dangerous practice!) I would place my wife in the "Afro-Carribean" camp.Her roots are neither Spanish,or Latin,but African.This has no "point",and is not important to her,me,us,or any other right thinking individual!
My grandparents came from Holland,Whales,and (although I never admit it,Ireland!)
I celebrate no "Dutch" holidays,and "St Patric's Day" is just another day to me! The "Welsh" part is just the "Coal miner"that my grandfather was when he was in Illinois.I am an American,from the United States of America.
I think being proud of one's "roots" is important.I also think that once those "roots" have been transplanted,the tree becomes part of the country where it receives it's nousishment,and where it grows!
A thread about "Baseball" ends up being about "Race"!
After living in Boston for 25 years,I want to close this thread just because it brings back all the bad Red Sox memories! If it becomes "Racial" it goes for shure!

MODERATOR CCCCCCCCCC

Petaka

Nov 8, 2002
I declare we are all Mofongos

The US label for us - to the chagrin of many - is Hispanics. But then they left out the Brazilians while including the Spaniards.

So I say we are all Mofongo. Good texture, sometimes soft, sometimes tough, but always easy to mix with whatever comes around.

Take me back to the ball game.....

jose?to

The thread finally snapped...
Jun 19, 2002
What's the deal, moderator?

You keep deleting my posts on defense of us black, Latin-wannabes. Remember, I get down to Tony's level. Help me out here, dude. You're supposed to be funny.

-Jose?to
What do you think, Dortic?s?

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Come on Criss. This board has been getting too boring lately with its political Correctness.

If I may quote America's greatest one dimensional actor to everybody who takes offense....."You can't handle the truth!"