Hottest clubs in the D.R. (a lil' different)

SuperStar

Apr 18, 2003
OK, Don't flame me. I did a search & couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Tried searching a DR "yellow pages" but that didn't help.

I'm basically looking for the Best clubs that spin predominately Hip Hop, R&B music in the D.R. Of course this can change due to a club closing or just dying down. But, please give me your list of the Best & Hottest clubs in the D.R. that play this type of music. Clubs must be nice & spacious, but not rowdy.

So far I've heard that Mangoo (sp?) is 1 of the best. List the ones that you know of. Phone numbers of the club you list would be nice if you know it, but not necessary.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
If you just want hip hop and R&B which used to be considered wack music over there until some people started playing it on Ritmo 96, then go to Fusion Rose on Thursday night in the capital city's Zona Colonial. Check out this page and search even though it's in spanish. How funny that the same music that most people used to diss is being jocked by the same folks who used to talk BS about it. I used to live over there and I came back to the US in 2001 and went back in December of that year and every big station was playing some hip-hop. I never cared much for what people thought about what I liked to listen to since they can't seem to mind their business anyways. This is the address but I don't have the phone number:
Calle Las Damas esq. Conde 54. It shouldn't be that hard to find.
Good luck...........

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
I'm glad I'm not the only one SuperStar. I'm going to Santo Domingo next week or in July, and I wanted to know the same info. When I was there in '97, the kids used to diss me and call me a "Yo" because of how i dressed and what i listened to. Thank goodness the tables have turned

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
House and RB music

There are no true House and RB music clubs in DR. All clubs play a mixture of House/R&B/Merengue/Salsa/techno format, depending on the club. Some are geared more towards one of these genres, but they all play the same programming.

There are no "super DJ's" like the ones in New York, Miami or LA, who produce super mixes using the very latest. Clubs like "Olas" at the Hamaca in Boca Chica play about the most progressive music because of the mixture of tourists and town people. But this is a very small club.

In the city(Santo Domingo) the hot clubs now are Platinum and Seven to Seven(the old Bella Blue) turned from an over 40 crowd to a teen-college crowd. The old standards like Jubilee and Jet Set with their boring format are still hopping. Their music is always the same featuring aging and boring old timers like Fernando Villalona, Los Toros Band, Eddy Herrera, Milly, Rubby Perez, Sergio Vargas and the whole decrepit beat up merengue establishment.(Hardly anyone listens to merengue anymore)

The best music can be found in the oriental zone clubs around Venezuela and San Vicente de Paul Avenues. At least there they feature mostly the newer generation merengue bands, like Tulile, Oro Solido, MalaFe, and more salsa music. You will also find Regetton and Reggae music, which is hard to find in the central city. This area caters more to bachata, specially in the car wash clubs and colmadones.

If you truly want to dance to house and R&B you better crash a house party in the neighborhood.

TW

Nov 5, 2004
SuperStar said:
OK, Don't flame me. I did a search & couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Tried searching a DR "yellow pages" but that didn't help.

I'm basically looking for the Best clubs that spin predominately Hip Hop, R&B music in the D.R. Of course this can change due to a club closing or just dying down. But, please give me your list of the Best & Hottest clubs in the D.R. that play this type of music. Clubs must be nice & spacious, but not rowdy.

So far I've heard that Mangoo (sp?) is 1 of the best. List the ones that you know of. Phone numbers of the club you list would be nice if you know it, but not necessary.

What area of Dominican?

Puerto Plata area? Punta Cana area? where?

OR are you wanting and avalible to travel anywhere in Dominican for a good r&b club?

As mentioned in some above posts, you will not find a disco that is ALL one thing or the other. You can find discos that will play some of the American R&b an rap stuff....but you will also be getting regatton (which is better to dance to in my opinion) and bachata, merengue, salsa and the works.

Salser0

May 5, 2004
PeachezNcream84 said:
What area of Dominican?

Puerto Plata area? Punta Cana area? where?

As I saw there is already a thread mentioning all the clubs in the northcoast area. I meant Santo Domingo. Ill be there in the night from the 22nd to the 23rd december (wednesday) and would love to dance some salsa. Any recommandations?

Nov 5, 2004
Salser0 said:
As I saw there is already a thread mentioning all the clubs in the northcoast area. I meant Santo Domingo. Ill be there in the night from the 22nd to the 23rd december (wednesday) and would love to dance some salsa. Any recommandations?
Unfortunatly I am not as familar with clubs in that area.I will ask around and see what I can find out though. :)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Salser0 said:

It will be pretty dead on a Wednesday night in any part of Santo Domingo.

But if you ever come back on a Friday or Saturday night. You will find a A ton of clubs in Zona Oriental. Just take a drive down Av. Venezuela on a Friday or Saturday night. You will have your pick of 5 or 6 places. Just make sure you know Spanish and ideally be with someone that knows the places. They can get pretty rough, it's not like the clubs in the Colonial Zone, Lincoln etc.
But you will find the best salsa dancers and some absolutely stunning woman.

5437.jpg

5465.jpg

Even the Texaco (Gas Station, across from Eclipse Disco) is jumping with 200+ people hanging out, dancing and drinking on a Friday or Saturday night.

If you want to go "less raw", then head for the Colonial Zone.

Murano is popular and has a nice mix of people.

3819.jpg

3804.jpg

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Stunning women?

AZB will have a field day with this. . . . .women with african features and "bad hair"? LOL Plus they are not from Santiago. . . . .he he he he

Robert said:
It will be pretty dead on a Wednesday night in any part of Santo Domingo.

But if you ever come back on a Friday or Saturday night. You will find a A ton of clubs in Zona Oriental. Just take a drive down Av. Venezuela on a Friday or Saturday night. You will have your pick of 5 or 6 places. Just make sure you know Spanish and ideally be with someone that knows the places. They can get pretty rough, it's not like the clubs in the Colonial Zone, Lincoln etc.
But you will find the best salsa dancers and some absolutely stunning woman.

5437.jpg

5465.jpg

Even the Texaco (Gas Station, across from Eclipse Disco) is jumping with 200+ people hanging out, dancing and drinking on a Friday or Saturday night.

If you want to go "less raw", then head for the Colonial Zone.

Murano is popular and has a nice mix of people.

3819.jpg

3804.jpg

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
What exactly do you mean by rough?

[
The clubs look nice, but what exactly is the problem-do I have to worry about getting into a fight or getting robbed?

SafireDream

Jul 5, 2004
Punta Cana Area

If you are going to the PC area, then you will want to go to Mangu or Club Pacha. I believe that Pacha is at one of the Riu resorts. It is next to Iberostar PC.

If you are going to be in Santo Domingo, the ones previously listed are where you want to go.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Berzin said:
[
The clubs look nice, but what exactly is the problem-do I have to worry about getting into a fight or getting robbed?

Let's just say that the clubs cater to different ends of the "socio economic" system.

I have never heard anyone say "private party tonight" on Ave. Venezuela, but I have heard it a few times in the Colonial Zone and in and around Lincoln.

I have never had anyone ask me if I was carrying a gun on entry to a Colonial Zone club, but I have been asked in clubs on Ave. Venezuela.

I'm sure your getting the idea ;)

I have never seen a serious problem or been robbed in any club.

Check them all out and let us know.