Santer?a Cubana

Ursulita

Feb 20, 2003
I know I am on a Dominican site but I am looking to have more infos about Cuban santer?a. I looked for a rich Cuban website such as DR1 is for the Dominican community but I didn't found one. On my current PR site I received responses but they were incomplete.

If anyone knows such a website can you please send me the link? Going back to the santer?a can anybody tell me more about it? I heard it was the Cuban version of Haitian "vaudou" or of Brazilian "candoml?". It's origins, the goals etc.... The only thing I know is the love Cubanos have for this religion (they talk of it on every book,the even have many dances that are from santer?a ceremonies), I would really love to know what it's all about.

As I already said I know it's Dominican site but we never know...

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
There's a few Cubans on this site, they should be able to help you out..........

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Ursulita.

I am familiar with the basics but that is about it.
Where are you located? Plenty of places in Miami to find out about Santeria.

BTW Most Cubans do not have a love for Santeria. In fact most are embarassed by it. Personally I treat it like any other religion. Some of the music and art work is interesting.

Basically it was brought over by the slaves from what is now Nigeria. because they were not allowed to practice their African faith they mixed it with Christianity. Giving their gods the names of Catholic Saints.
It is not similar to Vodoo. For that you need to look at Palo Mayimbe.

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
There are also similarities between Yaruba and Santeria....I recently did a search on voodoo and santeria, a lot comes up about Yaruba (African) as well through both beliefs.

Perhaps refining your search will help.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
you might want to try Orisha Net http://www.seanet.com/~efunmoyiwa/ochanet.html

or else look up a book by Migene Gonalez Wippler who has written extensivley about Santeria.

There is also a book Cuban Santeria by Raul Canizares which is pretty good

The book Santeria from Africa to the New World the dead sell memories by George Brandon is okay.

Feel free to PM me if you would like.