DR 1st timer

J

Jeaneliz

We will be going to the DR in January 2004 and staying at the Iberostar Dominicana. I have read some trip reports and it sounds interesting.
I do have a few questions if someone would be so kind.

How is this hotel?

Are there any guided tours of the island or special tours that we should take to see the island scenery and/or culture?

Would a light sweater be needed for January night? What would you say is the average temp during the day?

Are there snakes around the hotel areas? My husband HATES them.

I know very little spanish-Please, thankyou etc. Will this be enough or should I write out some phrases for the wait staff or maids? I read on this forum that someone had little cards made with questions or suggestions for the staff as to what they needed in frig or for extra towels. This sounded like a good idea.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
How is this hotel?

[It is a fine hotel/resort, good choice.]

Are there any guided tours of the island or special tours that we should take to see the island scenery and/or culture?

[There are plenty of activities outside of the resort area, tours of the cane fields, farms, caves, and Maniti Park.]

Would a light sweater be needed for January night? What would you say is the average temp during the day?

[Bring a sweater or long sleeve shirt, not really necessary, but handy at night to protect from mosquitos when away from the resort. 80-85 F / 26-29 C]

Are there snakes around the hotel areas? My husband HATES them.

[There are snakes on the island. Your chance of getting struck by lightning is better than encountering a snake.]

I know very little spanish-Please, thankyou etc. Will this be enough or should I write out some phrases for the wait staff or maids? I read on this forum that someone had little cards made with questions or suggestions for the staff as to what they needed in frig or for extra towels. This sounded like a good idea.

[ Not to worry, most of the staff understand some basic English and universal travelers sign language. The cards will help when you are in a bind.]

Enjoy your stay when you come, you'll love it.

Regards, PJT