Travel to DR with pet bird???

sunnylady

May 14, 2003
Does anyone know what the status is on bringing pets in and out of the country? I plan to have extended stays in both the DR and North America and want to bring my parrot.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Off the top of my head

I wouldn't do it.

Too much change is bad for a parrot....get him looked after at home..

HB

sunnylady

May 14, 2003
Travel with Bird

Thanks for the reply Hillbilly. I intend to live in both places and I can't imagine leaving him behind...Plus, he's rather difficult for others to care for - he's a bit of a biter! I wondered what quarantine restrictions there are, if any.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Remember checking with Sanidad Animal at the Ministry of Agriculture and there was no problem bringing in cats or dogs. But some birds could be eliminated at the airport for fear it would be introducing a sickness. I would research extensively with the breed of the bird at the Ministry and the airport of choice, and be very cautious in bringing in a bird.

sunnylady

May 14, 2003
Re: Traveling w/ Bird

Thanks Delores. I will check with Dept. of Agriculture. Anyone else have info re bringing a pet bird in/out of DR?

lindalyn

Feb 15, 2003
I had a cousin

who flew out her bird ..... I believe that she had to have her checked out thoroughly and have it stamped and she had to call the dept of wildlife ..or something like that... i know that it took some time so if you plan to go within 6 months ..start inquiring now......good luck ;)