What to do?

CrazyGirl

May 15, 2003
Hello everybody! My name is Kelly, im 19 and live in the UK and looking for some advice.

Next week i finish college having took my A Levels. I do not plan to go to Uni, and am looking for a job in the travel industry. I plan to work for a few months and then in September/October spend a few months in the Dominican Republic. I have been there many times over the last few years, but only on holiday at lenghts of 2 weeks max at a time. I know that being there for a few months is completely different to vacationing out there so just want some advice to how to cope!!
Before anyone says, i am not going out there for some guy, sanki or whatever. I am purely single, young, free and want some travel experience. If money does get tight i would look for a job, even though i know this is difficult and the pay is poor. But i would be willing to try anything.
I can either go for it and go to DR for a few months, or stay in England and work up into a career in travel straight away. At the moment iam torn between and would be grateful for any adivce or 'survival' tips.

I am probably looking at the Puerto Plata area, even though i love Punta Cana just as much.

Thank you.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
My only suggestion is to try Cabarete. Nothing in Puerto Plata but an unattractive city in my opinion.

Cabarete is full of young sportsminded kids, a beautiful beach and a vibrant nightlife. It is only 30 minutes from the Puerto Plata Airport. If I was 19 this is the town I would go to. Forget Punta Cana, there is NOTHING there.

Have fun, be careful and good luck.

Escott

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I agree with Jazzcom - Cabarete is the place. Also, your chances of picking up a waitressing job in Cabarete is better than in other places. There are a few restaurants that employ wait staff from time to time if you're willing to hang in there. You can also pick up a relief job if you go to the right places.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just a question or two

How can someone at 19 just brush off "uni" ? Can you get into a university? Or is it unattainable.?

Do you realize that you have zilch to offer besides your white skin, youth and, hopefully, exuberance? So you speak Spanish? Even a little?

What about studying here? If you can afford to live here for a few months, without working, you can certainly afford to go to university here. Give that a thought.

As for Cabarete, that is a as good a place as any.

You might try and exchange thoughts with JaneJ, who actually did what you are thinking about. I would respect her opinion 100%.

whatever you do, good luck...

HB

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Cabarete Style

Do it!!! Enjoy it whilst you're young! But why not uni??? Life doesn't get any easier as you get older but it's fun on the way if you've got the qualifications and can earn enough to finance a beach type lifestyle for periods along the way!
We would also recommend Cabarete, and we're not young!! We are Brits too and moved here some 14 months ago and have already had a youngster of a friend down staying doing much the same as you intend. He enjoyed it for 3 months, earned enough for his beer money, a new windsurfer, etc. but his mum did pay for his accommodation!!
PM us if you need any help as we seem to have become "foster parents" to a lot of the Cabarete youngsters since we've been here.
Good Luck with your plans.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Look for one of the posts by BushBaby and click on the email or PM button underneath so that you can send him a message. He is an expat from the UK who has lived in Puerto Plata for a number of years. He tries to be helpful to everyone, but has a special fondness for others from the UK. He can give you as good an idea as anyone on this board as to what your prospects might be there.

CrazyGirl

May 15, 2003
Thanks for all your help and advice.

The reason i am not going to uni is becasue i dont need to for the career i want, which is in travel. Uni isnt for everyone......

I do realise that i dont have much to 'offer' DR (yes i do speak spanish) but im not looking to immigrate there! just to travel and have fun before i come back to England.

I have passed through Cabarete before, and have been in contact with a few people my age who have stayed there for lenghy periods - so will definately check it out!