nextel phones?

lindalyn

Feb 15, 2003
I have a nextel phone here in NY and I was wondering will this work in DR? its a Motorola i90. Will you guys recommend taking my own cell phone or a crappy cellphone? I wouldn't want to mess up my own cell phone . Thanks .

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Nextel I90

I brought mine down, and it can't be programmed down here.
But the old StarTac, I had in laying around before that, works great with the Pre-paid Codetell calling cards.

Depending on where your going, you might need a dual band, for covrage.

Tim H.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Take your own cell phone. Get it activated with Codetel's calling cards, that way you don't have a monthly payment. They will activate it for you for about 300 pesos. You can then bring it back to the US and get it re-activated here if you need to. That's what I always do and it works out great.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
For 990 Pesos in an Orange Shop

suarezn said:
They will activate it for you for about 300 pesos. .

If you go to the DR enough buy a new Motorola phone for less than 1000 pesos with 100 RD$ installed and have a local number for people to reach you . Less than $40 US for a new DR based phone is easier than activation, restore, roaming etc.

SuperStar

Apr 18, 2003
Most likely your i90 won't work if it doesn't have GSM or GPRS which is a chip in your phone that will allow you to receive & make calls when your abroad. If your phone doesn't have GSM or GPRS. Go to the Nextel dealer/store to see if there is a chip or application that can be applied for your current phone & have it activated before buying a new phone.

Last edited: