Two titles Land and house

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
I'm thinking of buying land with a partially built house on it in sousua. My understanding is that there is a land title which I will purchase, but in addition to that I'll have to have the house plan (i.e. the architects design) approved of by the local govenment. As far as I know the land is zoned for one level housing. I guess the question is, since I know I need to deal with the govenment to get the design approved, what is the title of the office or the official that I will have to deal with? I imagine I'll have lots of problems if I finish the house after buying the land and I never had a government approved design. ANy help is appreciated, every one I talk to here seems to think I need an architect (due to my bad spanish) what I really need is official house design approval.

-Lee

Kiteman

Aug 25, 2002
Lee,

I recommend you contact a friend of mine who will be able to help you. He is very familiar with your type of circumstance and can point you in the right direction. Contact Gregory at coastal@codetel.net.do. Tell him Sandy sent you.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
You will need FIVE stamps to get building work approval!! As the work has already been started, are there not already architects drawings done up?? Have these not been stamped by the relevent deprtments?? Have all the relevent taxes for the land been kept up to date or are you likely to get a BIG bill from Ayuntaminiento in Sosua fairly soon after buying the land??

Buyer Beware!!! And in the case of land purchases be quadrupely aware!!! Ask a LOT more questions from lawyers, builders & reliably informed friends before going down the road of land purchase, PLEASE!! Correlate, cross check & then ask again - Grahame.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Stamps on title

When I talked to a layer, as I understand it when I receive the Title it will also contain a bill of sale attached to it stating who sold the land and to whom, that statement from the "Tribunal de Tierras" will have 5 stamps on it. The title will only be a statement of where the lot is and state the fact that I own it.
The third part would be a table of payments for the title it self adding up to about 4% - 10% of the total cost for varios processing fees and inital purchase taxes.

Please bear with me this is where I am lost, are you saying I'll need 5 stamps of appoval for the building design it's self?

I guess you just told me the office I will need to talk to to straighten things out for building design approval.

Thanks for all the help you have provided so far.

-Lee

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
What you need to do is obtain a construction permit or license. Usually your architect or your builder takes care of this. Here is a list of the different government departments you have to go through to obtain a construction license:

1) The local ?ayuntamiento? (municipality or city hall).
2) Definpro (a department of the Central Bank) in certain tourist areas.
3) Ministry of Tourism if in a tourist area.
4) Samana Commission (if in the province of Samana).
5) CDE (approval of electrical plans).
6) INAPA (approval of plumbing, etc.)
7) Liga Municipal Dominicana (League of Municipalities).
8) CODIA (a tax is due to the College of Engineers for every construction).
9) Ministry of Public Works where the permit is finally issued.

The construction plans get stamped at every required step. The Ministry of Public Works does not issue the permit unless it sees a stamp for each step.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Permits aahhhhhhhhhhhhh

don't for get the permit from Medio Ambiente if it is near the beach and also not forgetting the one from the Marina...

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
I know this is kind of reviving an almost dead thread but . . . .

After all these stamps and approval for the plans, is there any beuracratic follow up once the house is built? I mean I have the plans approved, as I understand it I can get the work done by practically anyone, but is there one more stamp or process once this is done? Is there a inspection made of the house comparing it to the approved plans? and am I awarded some kind of deed to the house?

-Lee

PS: Again, thanks in advance for the help you have provided. You all have been great and thank you in advance for any more help you may provided, with out you I am paralized.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
There are supposed to be inspections during the construction process but most times this does not happen.

To obtain a "deed" for the house, or in Dominican legal terms, to have the house included in the Certificate of Title, you must submit the approved plans to the Superior Land Court with the Certificate of Title to the lot and a survey showing the location of the house within the property. The Superior Land Court will then authorize the Registrar of Titles to cancel the old Certificate of Title to the lot and issue a new one for the lot and house together.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
We built an extension to our house in Cabarete and our architect dealt with all the stamps and the paperwork. He also dealt with the funny little man who seems to drive around all day just looking for new building works. He then tries to persuade the owner of the property to pay him the taxes due!!! Our architect eventually dealt with this by going with him to the main municipal offices in Sosua/POP and paying what small amount was due directly to this guy's boss! Haven't seen the little man since although he still drives around the streets looking for payouts!

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
The design lan for my house . . .

Fabio J. Guzman said:
There are supposed to be inspections during the construction process but most times this does not happen.

To obtain a "deed" for the house, or in Dominican legal terms, to have the house included in the Certificate of Title, you must submit the approved plans to the Superior Land Court with the Certificate of Title to the lot and a survey showing the location of the house within the property. The Superior Land Court will then authorize the Registrar of Titles to cancel the old Certificate of Title to the lot and issue a new one for the lot and house together.

The design plan for my house, is a design with two levels. But I only expect to complete 1 level of the house, at which point I might change the design for the second level. I know my questions are kind of out of the norm, but this is what I am dealing with. From what you are telling me a final inspection typically does not happen, so I could still have the paper work complete and the deed assigned to the title.

Is there anything I need to be careful of in this situation.

Again, thanks in advance for any help you may provide. This board has been a life saver.

-Lee

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I know someone who was going to have a two level built but only did the first and then they wanted to change the design a bit for the 2nd level and ended up having to tear the house down and start over. To say the least it was never finished.

I think the first floor wouldn't support the design they wanted so I would have what ever planned approved from the beginning and try to get it done at once. Especially the wear and tear the environment does to concrete you could end up having to start from scratch...