What are they thinking of......PRD 2004????

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Not only the PRD members think they will win 2004 elections but they are surprised if you think that they won't.
I was talking to a well-known PRD member from Santiago area. He is an elegant, western educated elder gentleman with a very prominent family name in Santiago. He is promised a consul position (or as an ambassador) to a popular country. I will not mention his name or the name of the country where he will be assigned.
Last night I was talking to him and the elections topic came up. He was so confident that PRD will win in 2004, to a point, that he was sincerely surprised to see that I didn't think they had a chance. Then both of the guys laughed at me and tried to explain to me that the PRD win was a sure shot. This thought alone sent chills up my spine.
Do they know something that I don't? Could it mean they have a plan up their sleeves to rig the elections (as they did in the recent local elections)? Why are these people so sure of their presidential win?

Golo, please enlighten me on this scary issue.

Last edited:

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Many and many Dominicans in which I have had conversations with over politics with always seem so certain that their party/candidate/sindico/diputado will win the election that I have to chuckle to myself when it turns out they actually lose.

I have not come across more stubborn people when it comes to politics. I can't tell you how many people were so certain Balaguer would win the elections despite all the odds and popularity the PRD was gaining at that moment. Did he win no, but he followers truely in their heart believe he would win, yes. And after they lost they cry foul play and then humblely drink themselves into a drunkeness and you don't hear from them until things start to heat up to the next election.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Kgdrga, I understand what you are saying about party loyalist but these guys are no chopos. This guy I spoke to is a well educated, elegantly spoken / dressed gentleman who is norminated to be assigned as an ambassador to a very well known country. He is no colmado beer drinker. His friends are all important PRD members; all with good paying important jobs in the government. When I talk to people as you have mentioned, (yes) I get the same impression but these guys are actually sure they will win....and "win" for sure as if they have a plan in place.

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
AZB or Golo,

Can you tell us what's the word on the street? I made a phone call about two weeks ago and spoke to some PRD voters and asked if they were going to vote for the Hippo and their reply was, "God forbid that we vote that maniac". So, I really want to know what's going on. Golo, another thing...can you tell us what you think might happen if Hippo does win and everyone knows it's been rigged? Do you think that anything big will happen or just the usual complaining with a few burning tires? Give us the whole nine yards if possible. I know you have a lot to say about this so please take your time and tell us everything to the last detail.

DR_DEFENDER

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I read today that Milagros has to resign as Education Minister so that she can campaign for presidential candidacy. Does that mean that all candidates in office need to resign their posts in order to campaign?

Chiri

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I don't know, Chiri, but someone ought to change the Constitution or something to make it so.

jose?to

The thread finally snapped...
Jun 19, 2002
Sadly, the Dominican constitution means nothing; we would be better off without one.

Jose?to

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
What's cooking?

PPH and PRD harliners who side with Hippo are not the only ones who are over-optimistic and overconfident about their chances. If you go to the other side, the PLD feels just as powerful. Leonel has been already given over 50% of the vote on election day by every serious poll taken so far, thus avoiding "la segunda vuelta".

As of right now, eliminating the possibility of a monster fraud, Leonel has the inside track and possibly a landslide, if the economic situation does not improve. Hippo is counting on scare tactics, an upswing in the economy, no PRD defections and a hard vote from his party with zero abstentions. Hippo's assertion that he has 48% of the PRD inside vote is in itself a negative, since he got almost 80% in his party's primaries in 1999.

The economy needs a miracle to recover, something even Bush can't do with his own. The Pan Am Games are going to be another major scandal, even worst than Banintergate. All the money coming in is being spent on this fiasco. There is little or no hope for the Pan Am Games. Hippo already has hinted at requesting today what I predicted yesterday, that free tickets be made available to students and poor people to attend the games. The truth is that more than 70% of those who attend the games will be freebies because these games have no "marquee" value to Dominicans. Government employees will be given free days to go to the games, free transportation provided, to fill in seats and show attendance. It will be all "cork".

From now until election day there will be bad economic news everyday in the . If it's not the dollar, it will be store and business closings, hospital drug shortages, price increases, hurricanes, floods, blackouts, increasing electric bills, you name it.

Hippo already has in his pocket an alliance with the Wolfman Eduardo Estrella to call on the PRSC faithful who follow him to vote for Hippo. But Leonel also is sealing a deal with the side that goes with Peynado. The PRSC(Reformist) Party is history. Leonel will get the lion share of their voters.

The smaller parties will split their vote equally. The PRI will go with Hippo and Pena Guaba will take his group that got 2% last election to Leonel. The PRD itself could split and that will be the end of Hippo's career. It's important to note that the PRD has never reached 50% of the vote with or without alliances. Even Pena Gomez could not get 50%. Hippo came across last time with 49% thanks to the PLD's problems. But Leonel easily passed the 50% mark in 1996.

So Leonel right now is the horse to beat(Affirmed) while Hippo is the horse chasing(Alydar). I'm betting on Leonel for the Triple Crown, with or without vote fraud.

TW

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Deffender
i have a friend which i met through my best friend here in Miami his father is one of those guys that work with Hippolito at the palace and Hipolito himself is his Godfather this guy has a BOTELLA from the PRD making lot's of "mula" , when i met him he was Hipolito's biggest fan, Hipolito gave him a brand new Honda Civic for his 21 birthday expensive clothes jewelry watches and money, the kid has an American visa to travel when ever he feels like, just bought an apartment and guess what HE HATES HIPOLITO NOW HE'S TELLING EVERYBODY not to vote for the PRD party i was amazed at the sudden change, he told me that Hipolito will loose the elections the popularity of the PRD party is gone and that the poor sector will not support them as in previous years people have no money and the poverty level have gone up to high things are not looking good.

i wonder why? free car, free visa, free apartment, (FREE BOTELLA/AKA free check from the government)

no wonder why the Dr people are suffering.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Chirimoya said:
I read today that Milagros has to resign as Education Minister so that she can campaign for presidential candidacy. Does that mean that all candidates in office need to resign their posts in order to campaign?

Chiri
Hey, Chiri, that's a nice thought -- Hippo would have to resign from the presidency in order to campaign! Oh, if only it were so! But I'm afraid that if such a rule is actually in the constitution, Hippo will only apply it to Milagros, and not to himself. After all, we know that he considers himself above the constitution. Certainly he has shown his disdain for it plenty of times!
Regards,
Keith

Tony Cabrera

Sep 24, 2002
Re: What's cooking?

Golo100 said:
PPH and PRD harliners who side with Hippo are not the only ones who are over-optimistic and overconfident about their chances. If you go to the other side, the PLD feels just as powerful. Leonel has been already given over 50% of the vote on election day by every serious poll taken so far, thus avoiding "la segunda vuelta".

As of right now, eliminating the possibility of a monster fraud, Leonel has the inside track and possibly a landslide, if the economic situation does not improve. Hippo is counting on scare tactics, an upswing in the economy, no PRD defections and a hard vote from his party with zero abstentions. Hippo's assertion that he has 48% of the PRD inside vote is in itself a negative, since he got almost 80% in his party's primaries in 1999.

The economy needs a miracle to recover, something even Bush can't do with his own. The Pan Am Games are going to be another major scandal, even worst than Banintergate. All the money coming in is being spent on this fiasco. There is little or no hope for the Pan Am Games. Hippo already has hinted at requesting today what I predicted yesterday, that free tickets be made available to students and poor people to attend the games. The truth is that more than 70% of those who attend the games will be freebies because these games have no "marquee" value to Dominicans. Government employees will be given free days to go to the games, free transportation provided, to fill in seats and show attendance. It will be all "cork".

From now until election day there will be bad economic news everyday in the . If it's not the dollar, it will be store and business closings, hospital drug shortages, price increases, hurricanes, floods, blackouts, increasing electric bills, you name it.

Hippo already has in his pocket an alliance with the Wolfman Eduardo Estrella to call on the PRSC faithful who follow him to vote for Hippo. But Leonel also is sealing a deal with the side that goes with Peynado. The PRSC(Reformist) Party is history. Leonel will get the lion share of their voters.

The smaller parties will split their vote equally. The PRI will go with Hippo and Pena Guaba will take his group that got 2% last election to Leonel. The PRD itself could split and that will be the end of Hippo's career. It's important to note that the PRD has never reached 50% of the vote with or without alliances. Even Pena Gomez could not get 50%. Hippo came across last time with 49% thanks to the PLD's problems. But Leonel easily passed the 50% mark in 1996.

So Leonel right now is the horse to beat(Affirmed) while Hippo is the horse chasing(Alydar). I'm betting on Leonel for the Triple Crown, with or without vote fraud.

TW
You Da man golo!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
To those who think that the dominican consttution should be changed,

so that "Milagros" should have to resign to run for President,"Fat Chance!" Not even in the USA do you have to resign one office to run for another.Politicians write laws to help the incumbents.Why do you think that the US tax code allows you to deduct interest paid on two houses? All the Politicians in Washington have two houses,one in DC,and one in their hometown! Cris colon

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
***whooooosh****

(The sound of my joke going over your head, CC...)

Ya see, I was being facetious, hoping that Hippo would do it, only to find himself ALSO resigning from his post. Get it?

Jose?to, refresh my memory: what did Balaguer say about the Constitution?

jose?to

The thread finally snapped...
Jun 19, 2002
Balaguer "said" many things. Just ask any Dominican, even the young ones.

He said this; he said that. I think it was Juan Bosch who coined the term "Radio Bemba." Radio Bemba is not the same as hearsay. We actually make up stuff; we add stuff. We exaggerate. We BE bad!

Just approach a group of people discussing politics, and someone would quote Balaguer, pero entonces aparece otro that shouts, "Mentira, eso no fue lo que Balaguer dijo..."

Same goes for Hippo, Leonel and Pe?a G?mez. And for Sosa, Amelia Vega, and any bachatero. I've even heard Dominicans misquote Colin Powel, Bush, Castro, Hussein, Ch?vez, Socrates, Mao, Arquimedes, Euridice, and even the supremely great Jose?to. It's a way of life. We're a small nation that loves to talk. Any takers?

Balaguer "said" that the Constitution was just a piece of paper.

-Jose?to
The smoker I drink, the player I get

Last edited: