An August you will never forget, The Pan Am Games

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
If you have a chance to be as lucky as the tourists who will be coming to our beach resorts in August, I suggest you follow them and take a beach vacation to avoid the biggest mess ever produced in sports history in this country.

The Pan Am Games are now pegged as the biggest fiasco after the CDE privatization and the Baninter black hole. You will soon hear within the next few days the incredible news about the cost overruns and the shortage of money to complete the venues. Almost everything is behind schedule and there is no money.

Hippo has been given information to make him go to the toilet every five minutes. His pants must be full of crap right now. Things look terrible.

But wait till the games begin. I guarantee you that we will have traffic jams caused not by fans rushing to the games, but by blockades and transportation chaos created by the government's inept officials running this show.

All of our sports associations are divided and fighting over the loot and there is not a chance of putting together a joint front to fix this thing. The city looks terrible. There is garbage all over. The mayor of the area most sensitive to the games, superfat, ugly Haitian Mr. Lois is not picking up the garbage in the oriental zone. Las Americas highway is a disaster area. Airline tickets for Dominicans who might venture in from New York and Miami are close to $12,000 pesos. Ticket prices for the games are for millionaires only.

Then you take the athletes. All of them will be facing intense heat in their quarters. There is no air conditioning and the design of the buildings have little ventilation. The games are scattered over run down areas and chopo neighborhoods with tremendous security problems. The general in charge of security for the games has never had experience with this type of event. I know him well, and he spent most of his time procuring contruction materials for the corps of engineers. OMSA the public transportation outfit is broke. More than half the buses are in desrepair or junked. The ones fit to run have body damage and dirty. Only a few a/c buses look decent. The fare went up and it will go higher.

If it rains in August run for your lives. Most of the facilities are outdoor and have no shelters for fans. The garbage that will accumulate at the games will be a major problem, because either they pick up the garbage at the games, or pick up the city's garbage. Either way there will be tons of it all over.

The competition will be awful. No world class athletes will be coming. Most will be second stringers and countries that provide their best will be in sports no Dominican has ever heard of. And if Hippo is counting on tourists to see the game...fat chance. With our beautiful beaches and white sand, who wants to see a bunch of hungry, second rate athletes chasing each other? There is no real rivalry to produce excitement. Comunism is over.

The only positive thing in this games is that..The Cubans are coming. They will wipe out every boxer that shows up.

Conclusion: I vomit!!!!!

TW