Question about baseball in DR

ExposFan3

Jun 17, 2003
This may sound like something stupid (probaly not) to you guys... But I am planning to go the Dominican Republic, I want to play baseball here... I also want to go here for a vacation...

I was wondering, can you please tell me where some spots are where teenagers play baseball?? And also if they would let an American like me play baseball with them...

Thank You,

-Zach

Also in 2 years I want to come back and tryout for one of the Dominican Summer League Teams (minor leagues)....

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Zach- wherever you stay try and make some friends with the locals your age and find some that play. Most of them follow sports and be more than willing to have you play. In March took my nephew down for spring break. He's a junior in college and has played basketball forever. Got taking sports with some caddies and they asked him to play for them vs. team from another town. You better be a decent player- 1/2 the team could dunk! Nephew said that 2 of the players could start for his divII school! Very impressive for a "pick up" game of ball, and would bet a baseball game would be just as if not more competative. Have fun!!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
If you can play...

...you can play.

If you can't play, you can still find games, but it will be much different.

If you'll be near the capital, try Olympic Park. Easy to find, multiple fields. Just don't try to do this in August - Panam games. Some excellent players there, teenaged.

Your welcome and acceptance would be more of a sure thing if you bring something to add to the game - new balls, old/extra equipment (pants, batting gloves, gloves, glove oil, bat tape, etc.) you want to donate.

Maybe a bunch of old baseball hats you have hanging around. On my first trip I brought down almost two dozen old hats I'd collected. I'd had it in mind for some time beforehand, they went over very well.

Point being, if you can get a conversation going (assuming you know how to speak Dominican of course) and ask questions, opportunities to play will be many.

How old are you and when do you plan to be here?

P.S. Be prepared to play on crushed coral. Unless you get an invite to a MLB academy, you're going to be playing on some "fields" that may not be what you're accustomed to. Don't plan on playing in shorts, bring padded knee pants, or those padded slips you can fit over your knees, under your pants. I can't stress this enough, my knees are like hamburger.

ExposFan3

Jun 17, 2003
Cleef, Thank you...

I am 15 (16 in october)... And I am plan on going in a 2-3 months from now...

As for the fields... I'm use to regular fields, but I also have played stickball in the street when I lived in Jersey...

And I can't speak Dominican... But I am going to teach myself...

Thanks,

-Zach

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Speaking Spainish isn't that big of a deal for playing sports, my nephew doesn't know any of it. They knew all the American phrases from "low post" to "IN YOUR FACE!" As Cleef pointed out though, unless you go with someone that can speak some, It may be difficult to get a game.

ExposFan3

Jun 17, 2003
Thank you RandyE....

Does anyone have any pictures of Olympic Park or know where I can get some??

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Expos, have fun!

Came down here three years ago and me and my friends had no trouble getting into any baseball, basketball, etc. games going on in Santo Domingo. I am getting too old for that but it was fun!

Just follow the advice above, smile, bring something to the game and you will be welcomed with open arms even if you don't have much Spanish, like me three years ago.

P.S.
But watch out for that coral. Man that stuff SMARTS! Really! Where are you headed, STDGO? We are on the North Coast.

ExposFan3

Jun 17, 2003
I plan on going to Santo Domingo... I can't wait..

Also I am going to bring some papers that tell me some spanish to say... lol

-Zach