Will the US embassy step in?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No

It is not their business. They might offer some investigative assistance but that is it. No jurisdiction..

HB

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Re: No

Hillbilly said:
It is not their business. They might offer some investigative assistance but that is it. No jurisdiction..

HB
The embassy will probably do nothing until somebody's Congressman is called to put the heat on State. Then they'll call the Dominican police every day until the kidnappers are caught!:rolleyes:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
ERICKXSON said:
you guys are wright that's not their jurisdiction, the DR is rather small for the kidnappers to still be at large!.

don't you guys think so?

Do the math.

The last people to call in the DR, if a person who gets Kidnapped, is the police.

BTW the Us embassy can't/won't get you out of a parking ticket. Why should they get involved in this case?

Amicus

Dec 25, 2002
The American Embassy has already "stepped in".

Does anyone think the IMF (and others) would be in discussions with the DR government if it had not been prompted to do so (with great urgency) by the American government? (Which was obviously prompted by the State Department, to which the Embassies report.)

Not bloody likely ... the US is VERY influential with the IMF - when it wants something done, the IMF usually jumps. Especially as regards the Western hemisphere - let's not forget the Monroe Doctrine, which is alive and well.

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Amicus,
You're discussing oranges (IMF) while the rest of this thread is discussing apples (a kidnapping case). And my guess is that, even regarding the IMF, the US did not push the IMF into meeting with the DR. The US might do so for a Brazil or Mexico, but I seriously doubt the DR. No, the IMF is talking to the DR because the latter asked for the discussions. [If you wish to debate this point further, I urge you to do so in the IMF thread, not here.]

Now, regarding the real topic of this thread, the kidnapping. Erickxson, Tony's more or less right. The US Embassy usually does not go out of its way to get into criminal cases in the DR involving US citizens; they even sometimes have to be pushed into checking on the condition & cases of their citizens who have been thrown in jail (often for more without formal charges). You may think (perhaps because it usually is portrayed this way in the movies) that whenever a US citizen insists on "calling my embassy," that FSOs jump in and do everything possible to aid their citizens. But it often doesn't work like that.

They won't lend police help in a kidnapping case in the DR involving a US citizen, unless of course that person is a US diplomat or politician or someone with alot of "pull" -- for example, if Henry Kissinger was kidnapped from his condo at Casa de Campo, I suspect that Dubya would indeed send FBI men to "advise & assist" the Dominican police in their investigation!:rolleyes:

But for most cases, they'll do little until political pressure is applied on State -- usually by a Congressman or Senator. Even then, the most they do is "monitor" the case and periodically "express their concern" to local authorities -- just enough to tell the Congressman that they're "doing something." So my prior post was not tongue-in-cheek. It was reflecting what I have seen happen before in the DR.:ermm:

Regards,
Keith

Amicus

Dec 25, 2002
Keith R said:
Amicus,
You're discussing oranges (IMF) while the rest of this thread is discussing apples (a kidnapping case).

OOpps, you're right. Sorry.

The Business forum is discussing a "kidnapping". Right. Has kidnapping become a "business" in the DR.

Mind you, it would surprise no one - as long as the kidnappers pay the Value Added Tax.

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Amicus said:
OOpps, you're right. Sorry.

The Business forum is discussing a "kidnapping". Right. Has kidnapping become a "business" in the DR.
Well, I won't quarrel with the contention that the thread was started in the wrong forum, and that it should be moved to the "general stuff" or "living" forum. But that hardly justifies trying to hijack it.
Regards,
Keith

Amicus

Dec 25, 2002
Keith R said:
I won't quarrel with the contention that the thread was started in the wrong forum, and that it should be moved to the "general stuff" or "living" forum. But that hardly justifies trying to hijack it.

Now, now, kr. Pull in the claws.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
It's funny seeing two "grown-ass men" as Cedric the Entertainer would put it, bickering and arguing about something on a message board. But oh well keep 'em coming, we like seeing debates and arguments on the boards anyways. Just keep it clean and don't hit below the belt

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My experiance in the DR and around the World is......

..that Ameriacn Embassys do little or nothing to assist fellow Americans in need of help!The people I have meet working at embassys and counselor offices are for the most part "Bureaucrats" getting paid large salaries to do nothing!They have great "Pool Parties",and get drunk a lot!Cris Colon

Amicus

Dec 25, 2002
Re: My experiance in the DR and around the World is......

Criss Colon said:
[BThe people I have meet working at embassys and counselor offices are for the most part "Bureaucrats" getting paid large salaries to do nothing!They have great "Pool Parties",and get drunk a lot!Cris Colon [/B]

I don't quite share this image of embassy staff. Most are dedicated people, and where it goes wrong is when home country staff are replaced by locals (who really DO NOT give a damn.)

Embassies are not the Salvation Army. They have a charter to represent the nation on foreign soil, which is why embassy grounds are not considered foreign but national territory.

Their intent is to be a window onto the nation. People can glimpse and ogle and maybe get a foreign visa to visit. The commercial section just might drum up some international trade, in conduction with the Chamber of Commerce. That is ALL they were ever intended to do.

The nerd who looses his/her wallet/passport to some cute street urchin deserves to have had it plucked. Next time he or she will stay home or get smart before coming abroad.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Why should they?

There is no reason for the embassy to get involved, unless of course they are already involved thru their drug enforcement group due to the fact that this kidnapping is like all the others that have taken place in DR "Ajustes de Cuentas"(settling a drug debt).

The embassy might only be interested in the drug relationship in this case and the Mexico connection. I dont understand why we keep getting concerned about the kidnapping cases in DR, since it has been clear since the very beginning that this type of crime is un-natural to our society and that the only reason for it is the revenge factors in the drug business.

There seems to be a group of Dominicans abroad who believe they can do "tumbes" in the big north and then can escape without consequences to DR. Not so. It is easier to settle the accounts here than in the U.S. where harsher penalties can take place and the prison escapes and easy releases or pardons are only for friends of the U.S. president.

The kidnappings that have been solved in DR were the result of the drug debt getting paid accordingly. If the ransom in this case is not paid(in other words, the debt) the children will never be released.

TW

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
US Embassy

They are all some retards. The US only steps in when a power that be throws a fit or it is gettig bad publicity. Never count on the US for crap and I am a citizen!